Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 11:06 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,027,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
No churches are spreading hate towards gays??? Your idea of hate and my idea of hate are clearly very different.

Calling homosexuals paedophiles, perverts, abominations, lumping homosexuality in with bestiality, preaching sexual orientation is a choice and can be changed despite all the evidence, telling gay people to marry and go back in the closet, saying God hates the sin of homosexual sex, using mistranslations and misinterpretations of the Bible to condemn homosexuals, telling homosexuals they are sinners who can't go to heaven. Need I go on? Just read these forums and some of the views of some (not all) Christian posters - they reflect their churchs' views.

If you don't think any of that is the least bit hateful and you "don't believe" in homosexuality...well ...I don't what to say to you... because we clearly live on different planets.
The bolded are Biblical truths and are not hate speech. God hates sin, all sin not just homosexuality. But God does forgive sin if we repent (turn from) sin and ask Him for forgiveness. Although it is challenging to leave the homosexual life, God can help those who wish to change.

Hypothetical question: What do you consider more hateful?

1. Warning someone that they are on a dangerous path?
or
2. Knowing that someone faces danger but choosing to not warn them or
encouraging them to continue the dangerous path?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 11:08 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,027,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I just wish more people would choose to say nice things.

That's allowed, too.
I know ... It would be nice if liberals can say more nice things about conservatives instead of misrepresenting us. *sigh* Can't have everything in life.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:09 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
One form of sex get's you and your partner of the opposite sex pregnant. Any form of sex otherwise is a perversion of that act. We don't have sex cause it's the hip thing to do.... We do it to procreate and when the procreation is taken out of it the only thing your doing is swapping body fluids and the body fluids you swap can be deadly.... That's why I disagree... that doesn't mean I'm going to discriminate against anyone gay because of that... they have the right to swap body fluids if they want... I just don't agree...but then again I don't agree with a lot of things like murder, rape, genocide...etc. That again doesn't mean I'm comparing being gay to murder, rape and genocide. I guess if that's considered hate then so be it. I feel it's more of a realist position.
You clearly don't understand what sexual orientation is if you think homosexuality is just about sex. Is your life just about sex? Is your relationship with your wife just about sex? If you have a loving relationship with your wife ,that's no different to how gay people in a relationship feel. If you remember what it is like to fall in love - that's how gay people feel when they fall in love as well.

My partner is female and so am I. I'm still in love with her after 10 years of being together and raising our daughters. It's insulting when you say my incredibly full life with her and our family is just about "swapping body fluids". How would you feel if I were to say that about your life with your wife and family?

Homosexuals have a DIFFERENT emotional and sexual orientation to Heterosexuals. Homosexual orientation is not just about sex, in the same way that heterosexual orientation is not just about sex. It's about who you fall in love with, who makes you feel happier just being with them, who you want to make plans with, who you may want to have a relationship with, who you may want to spend your life with. There are biological differences between straight people and gay people.

Gays are NOT straight people just wanting some kinky sex.

What do you want homosexuals to do? Pretend they are straight and stay hidden so you don't have to feel uncomfortable about telling your children that somewhere between 4 and 10% of humans have a different sexual orientation to the majority?

What if your child is gay? Will you send them off to some ex-gay camp to try to reprogram them? It doesn't work. Will you make them feel ashamed of who they are? Will you deny them the chance of happiness with someone they love and try to bully them into marrying someone they can never fully be themselves with or never feel fulfilled with? Would you have them be miserable and forever hiding who they are?

It's your choice to believe whatever you choose to believe. If it makes you feel more "comfortable" to go on believing homosexuality is just about some straight person choosing to swap bodily fluids with someone of the same sex...then go right ahead, but it won't make it true.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]

Old 01-07-2009, 11:40 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
I never said I was right....that's just what I believe.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
The bolded are Biblical truths and are not hate speech. God hates sin, all sin not just homosexuality. But God does forgive sin if we repent (turn from) sin and ask Him for forgiveness. Although it is challenging to leave the homosexual life, God can help those who wish to change.

Hypothetical question: What do you consider more hateful?

1. Warning someone that they are on a dangerous path?
or
2. Knowing that someone faces danger but choosing to not warn them or
encouraging them to continue the dangerous path?

Connie, you're on a dangerous path. I feel I should warn you that your beliefs are harmful to your health. Compartmentalising your brain and your emotions to cope with all the contradictions and sillyness of your religion, believing in fairytales and closing your mind to obvious facts, is dangerous for your mental, physical and emotional health. I encourage you to study the history of many different religions, the history of your own church and religion, and how the Bible was complied and translated and interpreted, with an open mind for your own sake.

www.religioustolerance.com is a good place to start.

Oh and please throw in some biology and psychology at the same time so you have some actual facts at hand when you talk about sexual orientation (the www.apa.org is a basic lace to start)...that way you won't be perceived as silly and misinformed...which could be harmful to your self-esteem.

This advice is all for your own good.

See? There are different world views to your own. What I just wrote you probably think of as hateful - you probably think I am misinformed, but I daresay I know more about the Bible and the history of the Christian religion than you do.

What you have expressed about homosexuality, I find hateful - and misinformed.

So which of your options do you see as more hateful?

What advice to you want to give me? Go for it if it makes you feel better.

Do you want me to dump my life-partner of 10 years who I love more than my own life. Should I uproot our children, who are the most important and precious gifts in our lives and try to marry some man I can't make myself feel anything for?

Do you want me to forget everything I ever researched about different religions and history and science and the history of your Yahweh God and his alternate Christian persona of Jesus and actually worship this god that men created in their own image? Do you want to try to convince me that I'll burn in hell for eternity if I don't follow what you believe? What sort of a God would do that? Not anything remotely loving, compassionate, or sane.

What would you like to warn me about?

I thought you want get away from us'all? Back on a gay thread again?

Last edited by Ceist; 01-07-2009 at 11:59 AM..

Old 01-07-2009, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post
I never said I was right....that's just what I believe.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:04 PM

29,939 posts, read 39,477,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
There is no right or wrong. I have a different definition of love than you do formed through my own life experiences.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:06 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,210,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
So then church members should go vandalize the houses of gay people?

Seems like tit for tat is okay with you.
Why? Gay people didn't take away the right of Christians to marry.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:08 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,210,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Typical double standards.
How so? Because I am appalled that one group actively worked to take rights from another? Did gays do the same to Christians? Talk to me when gays try to introduce legislation ending the tax exempt status of churches. Then maybe you guys will have something to complain about. Until then, stop pulling the martyr act.

Old 01-07-2009, 12:13 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,571,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes it is, but that doesn't define this incident... they were targeted for their political actions, not for being Catholic. Otherwise, wouldn't you have heard about crimes like this prior to Prop 8? Ironically, they targeted a gay-friendly church, so it was kind of a moot point.

By the way, how do you know the perpetrators are gay? The OP says "GAYS vandalize SF Castro church," but I don't believe any news reports said the vandals were gay. I oppose Prop 8, and I'm as straight as an arrow - but not narrow.
And why the swastikas? How does that have anything to do w/gay marriage? Is this just an assumption that this was done in response to Prop 8?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies