Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 04:15 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,129,094 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Then they should maintain their tax exempt status and not contribute money to politics. It's one or the other, they can't have it both ways.
This makes the most sense of anything on this entire thread.

You really can't ask for the tax break and be involved in politics.

It goes against the basic nature of being Tax -exempt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 04:16 PM

2,223 posts, read 2,220,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Umm, colleges do not actively campaign in politics. Their students do, but that's a right granted to people by the Bill of Rights. Every school (except for Bob Jones university) has both a GOP and a Democratic club on campus, even the most hippie/liberal ones like the University of Oregon. Stanford University didn't actively campaign for Prop 8, but the Mormon Church did.
Hahahahahaha!!!!!!

College Faculties A Most Liberal Lot, Study Finds (washingtonpost.com)

Old 01-07-2009, 04:17 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Filet Mignon View Post
Hey - I'm the one who's challenging you liberals to star taxing EVERY non-profit entity. Go ahead.
YOU are also the one who issued the general accusation that people in the Catholic Church were horrible.

Allow me to get specific with truly horrible people.

I'll refer you to the remarks made about the causes of 9/11 by Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson.

They were/are truly despicable, hate-spewing, vile, horrible people hiding behind the veil of Christ, even though what they preach(ed) is anything but Christian.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
This makes the most sense of anything on this entire thread.

You really can't ask for the tax break and be involved in politics.

It goes against the basic nature of being Tax -exempt.

You mean the kind of misdeeds that take place - every day - on college and university campuses across the United States.

Read the link in the above post.

Our colleges and universities are no longer institutions of higher education. They're ministries of propaganda - and they should be taxed accordingly!

Old 01-07-2009, 04:20 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,129,094 times
Quote:

Just because I work somewhere and vote a certain way does not mean my EMPLOYER agrees with it or participated in it.

Are you unable to distinguish between the 2?

1,474 posts, read 2,300,383 times
The destruction of a house of worship whether it be a church, a synagogue or a mosque, for political purposes is a hate crime, and even more so an act of a despicable person.

So I gather from reading these post that the current attack on the church is ok right?

Am i confused with this?

Ergo useing that same logic than i wonder if the burning of church's and the bombings in the deep south during the height of the klan was and is also ok.

Am I missing something here?????????????????????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
YOU are also the one who issued the general accusation that people in the Catholic Church were horrible.
Where did I say that?

Would you like to provide the quote - in context - or admit that you're just making up crap? I think you BETTER do one of the other!

Old 01-07-2009, 04:21 PM

26,218 posts, read 49,060,172 times
Quote:
Our colleges and universities are no longer institutions of higher education. They're ministries of propaganda - and they should be taxed accordingly!
Yep, and it's going to cause big trouble some day. Tax them all.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Yep, and it's going to cause big trouble some day. Tax them all.
Personally, I think it's obvious that it already IS causing big trouble. Just look at how ill-equipped most college graduates are today. Anymore, a Bachelor's Degree qualifies you for little more than to go get a Masters' Degree.

Old 01-07-2009, 04:24 PM

30,357 posts, read 51,958,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
They were absolutely being targetted for being Catholic.
1. The graffati is a slap at the Pope.
2. The Parish itself opposed Prop. 8 yet is being vandalized because of the Catholic church's stance & teaching on the subject of Gay Marriage.

How the heck can you reach that conclusion?
Gee... I could say the SAME exact sentence (that last one) regarding your pointing fingers at the gay community. How can you not see your prejudice here? Once again, I have never said their actions were OK or even justified - I just hesitate to call it a hate crime, since this is all about politics, and we don't even know who the perps are. But you're sure quick to blame "the gays" aren't you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies