Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 07:28 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,027,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
That is a lie.

I studied education in college and they didn't teach anything of the sort.

I went 2 colleges and neither taught that.
When did you studied education in college and did you ever take any "multicultural" classes? My experience took place in 2004.

Why are you so quick in calling someone a liar when you have not experienced what I did in college?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 07:29 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,210,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taboo2 View Post
That rocks!
I went to parochial school as well but our only petition was to oust our 4th grade PE teacher for being a douche.
Lol, at Catholic mass a petition is actually a prayer that is offered up to God, it's not like a literal petition where you get signatures. It likes the priest says, "For the victims of genocide...blah, blah, blah" and then the congregation says back, "Lord hear our prayer." It's one of those weird Catholic things.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallmarkJen View Post
Did it ever cross your mind that you are the hostile one? the one that discriminates?

Why should a Catholic school allow people (like yourself) to discriminate against their beliefs?

Somehow, if the tables were turned and your thoughts were the majority, you don't seem like you'd be tolerant either. I attended Catholic schools and almost without exception everyone was damn happy to be there considering the public schools that were the options.
It's hard for me to discriminate when it's one against thirty in a classroom. And I didn't discriminate. You don't know me dude, so don't assume dumb stuff like that. In the case of the death penalty, our theology teacher read a story about an old, blind man on death row and asked who supported the death penalty. It seemed as though most of the students raised their hands so he took a different tactic and asked who opposed the death penalty and I was the only person who raised my hand. As far as I can tell, a huge argument against abortion is the sanctity of life which apparently doesn't apply to everyone, just fetuses. As for the abortion issue, I was ridiculed for weeks on end because the Pro-Life club on campus came into our theology classroom, talked to use about evil "Pro-Murder" liberals, and wanted us to buy $25 shirts that on the back said things like, "That baby would have been a Supreme Court Justice" and "That baby would have been a surgeon" and I didn't want to buy one. How is that hostility on my part?

It seems like you're looking to start a fight. And again, you make another assumption. I am extremely thankful for my catholic education, I think I learned more there and I wouldn't care as much about politics if I hadn't. What I didn't like about catholic school was being ridiculed for a difference in opinion. And, just to cut you off about my apparent hatred of all things conservative, the first friend I made in San Francisco was the guy who sat next to me in my Rhetoric class who is a card-carrying NRA member and Republican. We're still good friends and hang out all the time, despite our political differences. So, any other theories you'd like to share?

Old 01-07-2009, 07:43 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Sure, let's tax all churches. They're nothing but monuments to ignorance and intolerance.
why in the world would our new president attend a 'monument to ignorance and intolerance' for so many years?

does that reflect poorly on him, would you say?

Old 01-07-2009, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
So..a few more professors? Sorry, you did not prove the point. You made it seem like all professors force liberalism down students throat. Not true. Not true at all.
Books have been written that have addressed this very topic so it's a documented fact that liberalism has run amok on college campuses and diversity is only welcomed if it involved race or culture but God help you if you dare challenge any of these liberal professors.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Rude. Anyway, it wasn't like I had a choice, my parents sent me there. And it wasn't that I was expected to conform to their theology, it's that they actively discriminated against and allowed discrimination against anyone who was pro-choice or pro-gay marriage among other things. My parents were paying upwards of $8,000 a year for me to go to that school and it wasn't so I could get ridiculed just because I oppose the death penalty and thought my gay cousin should be able to get married. Wait, aren't Christians supposed to be opposed to the death penalty? I mean, sanctity of life and what not. Or does that only apply to abortion?
I went to a Catholic school and always stood silently as everyone else did the hail marys and no one batted an eyelash at me. What you experienced was a little over the top which was unfortunate but parents do pay the religious private schools in the hopes that their kid learn more about the religion.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:53 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
Remember this fine educator?
FOXNews.com - Student Sues 'Anti-Christian' Teacher Over Remarks in Class - Local News | News Articles | National News | US News
Chad Farnan, a 16-year-old sophomore, says the teacher, James Corbett, told his students that “Jesus glasses” obscure the truth and suggested that Christians are more likely than other people to commit rape and murder.
Farnan recorded his teacher telling students in class: “What country has the highest murder rate? The South! What part of the country has the highest rape rate? The South! What part of the country has the highest rate of church attendance? The South!” Farnan said he took the tape recorder to class to supplement his class notes.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:55 PM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
After the hurricanes we had in Louisiana, it was places of worship that worked together to create a network to provide aid to those in need and they did so much faster than the federal and state government because they didn't have to bother with the typical paperwork BS. They also provided shelter, food, clothing, and contact information in order to get help or get info out to relatives where they were and that they were alright. The fact that some here try to justify vandalism of churches shows their complete disdain and hatred of religion. Just because you don't agree with the vote doesn't give you the right to commit a crime. Besides, you got a problem with the vote than take it up with more than 50% of the voting population of the state of California. Go ahead, vandalize their homes you F-ing cowards!
No-one on this thread has tried to "justify" the vandalism to the church. Everyone has agreed that it was wrong.
No-one on this thread has posted that they "hate" religion (although some might "distain" religion)
No-one has said that Churches don't provide a lot of resources for the needy. Many do.

So Who exactly are you calling F-ing cowards?

Old 01-07-2009, 07:56 PM

1,474 posts, read 2,300,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, you're missing the fact that nothing was destroyed. For the umpteenth time, I still don't think that makes it an acceptable act - but please, this is hardly equivalent to the KKK burning down a church. Especially if you've ever been to San Francisco, you'd know we have political "graffiti" all over the place. And why isn't anyone up in arms over the real hate crimes occurring around the country? Yesterday a poster started a thread about the Jewish pre-school being vandalized, mostly as a parody of this thread... but why haven't I seen that story mentioned on here, saying you're all outraged? Guess some people only care when it hits close to their heart.
Oh I'm not missing any facts. Something was destroyed.

What your saying is that a little "vandalism" is ok if its for a "valid" political reason, but a whole "lot" of vandalism is not ok .

Re read your post and all previous.

Neither is ok regardless of the damage. Two cans of spray paint or two gallons of gas. Its the SAME sentiment and THAT is my point.
Who ever vandalized that church is no better than the sentiment that spawned the klan and it is disingenuous for you to preach they are not the same in spirit.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
I went to a Catholic school and always stood silently as everyone else did the hail marys and no one batted an eyelash at me. What you experienced was a little over the top which was unfortunate but parents do pay the religious private schools in the hopes that their kid learn more about the religion.
I agree. I don't think my experience reflects on all Catholics at all. The school was extremely open to Hindu students and many non-Catholic Christians attended the school. The other students had an issue with my politics more than anything else. I'm over it now that because I'm in San Francisco and I'm hardly in the political minority anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies