Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2009, 06:25 PM

52,697 posts, read 34,579,481 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Churches, or any other property shouldn't be vandalized for political reasons.

But, churches should be taxed when they decide to enter the political arena.

If ya wanna play ya gotta pay!
i agree.

let us also tax all the black churches - such as the one our p-to-be attended for 20 years - that engage in blatant, non-stop DNC propagandizing.

you with me?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 06:40 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,210,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
WOW! YOU GO GIRL!!!

Petitions? What were those for?

Better yet, what about all those people who are religious and said "God put Bush in the White House!" They were so overjoyed with Bush winning. How come they cannot admit God put Obama in the White House? I have a religious friend who was overjoyed when Bush won saying God put Bush there. When Obama won, I asked him if he believed God put Obama in the White House and he said he refused to answer. LOL.

And then what about all those Churches that say to pray for our president (George W. Bush) because of the war? How come I have not seen many do the same for Obama. Shouldn't they be praying for him too? He is stepping up to a hard job and needs all the prayers and energy he can get!

You go girl! I LOVE your posts!
Likewise, I really enjoy your posts. Petitions in a mass aren't like the ones you get signatures for. They're prayers offered up to God by a reader. It's like the priest will say, "That the sick, homeless, and needy can get the help they need" and then the entire congregation says, "Lord hear our prayer." So at the masses he'd say, "That President Bush stays safe and healthy and makes the right decisions," I can't remember the exact wording because it's been a few years since I've been there, and then we'd have to say, "Lord hear our prayer." There are normally anywhere from five to ten petitions and I thought I was such a rebel because I wouldn't say "Lord hear our prayer" whenever they said the petition for Bush.

A more liberal priest ended up taking over when I was in middle school and he didn't say the Bush petitions, normally a reader from whichever grade was reading that week would say it. Secretly I think he voted No on 8. He's a nice guy and he's one of my parents' best friends but he can't really do much about the atmosphere because some of the more conservative congregation members get their panties in a twist and run to the Bishop to complain. Ugh, politics within the church always made me mad. And, don't tell anyone I told you (), but I have it on good authority that a priest from another parish in town, who happens to not like how "liberal" the priest from my parents' church is, has a girlfriend. Some boys from our school spotted him walking with her, holding her hand, with his shirt off by the river. It's scandalous for sure.

Old 01-07-2009, 06:51 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
Oh my goodness, you attended a private Catholic school and felt pressure to conform to their theology? What a shock! That'd be like me going to a Madrass and refusing to kneel and pray to Allah several times a day while facing Mecca. I'm not Muslim and so I don't go to a Madrass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangodoodles View Post
Oh, and I grew up in a very conservative city, going to a very conservative private Catholic school from preschool through high school. Talk about discrimination. I have too many examples to name. I was ridiculed in my theology class for weeks because I refused to buy a pro-life t-shirt from a pro-life campus club with a little blurb on the back talking about how the baby that was murdered turned out to be a Supreme Court Justice. And during the 2004 Presidential election, the school was blatantly pro-Bush and when three students held up a Kerry sign, they were literally chased down, had the sign ripped from their hands, and the students who took it ripped it up, all while several teachers stood in the quad watching. Or how during the monthly masses we had to attend every single year since preschool would include "petitions" and it wasn't until the 2000 election that they included a petition for Bush when they never had a petition for Clinton and they probably won't have a petition for Obama. These are just a few of many examples I have. So it's hardly restricted to conservatives. You guys aren't all martyrs you know.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:05 PM

2,027 posts, read 4,210,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Oh my goodness, you attended a private Catholic school and felt pressure to conform to their theology? What a shock! That'd be like me going to a Madrass and refusing to kneel and pray to Allah several times a day while facing Mecca. I'm not Muslim and so I don't go to a Madrass.
Rude. Anyway, it wasn't like I had a choice, my parents sent me there. And it wasn't that I was expected to conform to their theology, it's that they actively discriminated against and allowed discrimination against anyone who was pro-choice or pro-gay marriage among other things. My parents were paying upwards of $8,000 a year for me to go to that school and it wasn't so I could get ridiculed just because I oppose the death penalty and thought my gay cousin should be able to get married. Wait, aren't Christians supposed to be opposed to the death penalty? I mean, sanctity of life and what not. Or does that only apply to abortion?

Old 01-07-2009, 07:12 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,129,483 times
This is kinda like at BYU they persecute for DRINKING even if you are OVER 21 AND NOT MORMON.
I really think this is about some student not getting that passing grade he needed and seeking excuses to find it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
saying he was persecuted by the school’s “liberal political machine†for being a conservative

Old 01-07-2009, 07:16 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,242,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OC Investor2 View Post
Classic Liberal reaction - "It's not a Hate Crime because I agree with it"

Orwell would be proud of you.
Classic right wing, hate monger reaction. When victims of oppression fight back it's terrorism. Orwell would be proud. They should burn now these monuments to stupidity and hatred.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:17 PM

3,257 posts, read 6,129,483 times
Quote:

Or how during the monthly masses we had to attend every single year since preschool would include "petitions" and it wasn't until the 2000 election that they included a petition for Bush when they never had a petition for Clinton and they probably won't have a petition for Obama. These are just a few of many examples I have. So it's hardly restricted to conservatives. You guys aren't all martyrs you know.
That rocks!
I went to parochial school as well but our only petition was to oust our 4th grade PE teacher for being a douche.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:18 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
News flash. Public school teachers regularly look the other way regarding bullying among students. The bullying you experienced was among children. Such things happen anytime responsible adults don't do their job. College, however, is an education facility for adults. I would hope that the students and professors had outgrown school yard bullying tactics but I would be wrong.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:18 PM

2,403 posts, read 5,242,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uggabugga View Post
i agree.

let us also tax all the black churches - such as the one our p-to-be attended for 20 years - that engage in blatant, non-stop DNC propagandizing.

you with me?
Sure, let's tax all churches. They're nothing but monuments to ignorance and intolerance.

Old 01-07-2009, 07:26 PM

46 posts, read 31,242 times
Quote:
it's that they actively discriminated against and allowed discrimination against anyone who was pro-choice or pro-gay marriage among other things.
Did it ever cross your mind that you are the hostile one? the one that discriminates?

Why should a Catholic school allow people (like yourself) to discriminate against their beliefs?

Somehow, if the tables were turned and your thoughts were the majority, you don't seem like you'd be tolerant either. I attended Catholic schools and almost without exception everyone was damn happy to be there considering the public schools that were the options.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies