Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 09:07 PM

73,032 posts, read 62,634,962 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edmund_Burke View Post
The most successful AA businessman in B'ham history was named AG Gaston, he was often the guy who bailed civil rights protestors out of jail. He was a miner and sold sandwiches on the side, took those savings and opened a funeral home, then later a bank, etc. ----By the time he died in the mid-90s, he was worth over $100 million.

The worst thing that happened to AAs in American history was exposure to one of the lowest cultures w/n the European spectrum (think redneck stereotype)---a culture that devalued education, devalued savings (which both Booker T. Washington and WEB Dubois use to complain about), always fighting, promiscuity, etc.----what made it worst was that over 90% of AAs were still in the deep south by 1910. AAs have the dubious distinction of being one of the earliest and latest immigrant groups in American history (we were one of the last groups to be urbanized and thus attain better skills/education).

The progressives of FDR and onward threw a major wrench into that development.

Anyway, you can't have businesses w/o capital----which usually involves underconsuming for long-term gain in the distant future. Materialism usually reigns the day.
Gaston knew how to save, and he knew who to make money on the side. It helped in the end.

There is a book I recommend called Black Rednecks and White Liberals. It is written by Thomas Sowell. What you mentioned about being exposed to the redneck culture didn't help Blacks living in the South, and it didn't help Southern Whites either. In fact, before World War One, Blacks in northern states such as Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Illinois did better on mental tests than Whites in southern states did. Education and culture have a big part in this.

One question. How did the FDR administration hurt Blacks?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2013, 10:42 PM

22,662 posts, read 24,610,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by minibrings View Post
lower rent.. less interest from mainstream retailers to set up shop in those areas
less competition..
able to charge a slightly hire premium

economics 101

Funny nonsense...........every hear of the huge scam call EITC????

Many people come here flat broke or close to it......they work hard and make a great life for themselves. Too bad some folks can't stop whining and do the same.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Funny nonsense...........every hear of the huge scam call EITC????

Many people come here flat broke or close to it......they work hard and make a great life for themselves. Too bad some folks can't stop whining and do the same.
People who come here do so because they think of America as being the place where you can make it. Many people who have lived here for generations see America in a much different light than an immigrant.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:57 AM

587 posts, read 1,411,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
You make some good points but I think you are exaggerating the wealth of Asians who have moved to America. I don't have the data, but I doubt rich Koreans are the ones moving into black neighborhoods in LA and opening mom and pop stores. Why would anyone do that if they were already well off?
It's not just L.A. But you can't start a business with zero dollars can you? Can you buy a plane ticket and rent a place to live if you are dirt broke? Blacks often can't start businesses in their own neighborhoods because they are redlined from banks in trying to get loans. Also inner city violence is often hyperbolized by the media and isn't that bad for people not involved in the drug game or gangs. I grew up in the inner city and it wasn't that bad for me or my family because not everyone in the hood is a drug dealer or a gang banger like the local news and Gangsta Rap would like you to believe.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:33 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Think4Yourself View Post
A better question is why so many Asian immigrants are locked out of traditional jobs and thus end up starting their own small business. I suspect that many of them are educated but that certifications don't transfer to the US (if you're say a lawyer or what not) so self employment becomes the best possible option for them despite the fact that on a per hour basis they're not making very much. They're just working an incredible number of hours, take advantage of free family labor, and settling for less desirable areas which the major chain stores have rejected as undesirable. Essentially, that's a marginal business even in the best of times.
Certifications is one factor, depending on the country and profession. Language barriers is another.

And I agree, most of these immigrant mom-and-pop stores aren't "making a killing". Doing OK or getting by is probably more accurate.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:40 AM

78,433 posts, read 60,628,324 times
I read about 1 asian couple that "made a killing" because the two of them operated the store 24-7 with only a few breaks provided by relatives.

You have desperate people working 80hours a week and getting guns shoved in their faces...I don't call that "making a killing".

Old 05-16-2013, 10:45 AM

13,561 posts, read 10,361,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
One question. How did the FDR administration hurt Blacks?
Well, I'd say, the FDR administration could have done better for African Americans, if it extended the social programs that helped a lot of white people, to the benefit of more black people. But it's not for the reasons that a lot of conservatives cite ("dependency of welfare programs"), because a lot of the programs just weren't open to black people.

For example, the Social Security Act of 1935 did not include domestic workers and farm laborers, both sectors in which African Americans were disproportionately represented. For whatever reasons or factors (such as opposition by Southern politicians), it would have pretty far-reaching consequences, contributing to the disparity of net worth of White families vs. Black families even today.

Old 05-16-2013, 10:48 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Why do Asian businesses (Chinese, Korean) make such a killing in black neighborhoods?

Because they fill a void no one else is willing to?

Old 05-16-2013, 01:39 PM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,180,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Artiste View Post
with all the tax papers and paper work it takes to run a business in america i wonder too.. especially if english isn't your first language
Running a mom and pop convenience store with help from family members isn't the same as running a company with over 50 employees... and with none of whom being relatives. As to any language barriers, there are plenty of bilingual Asian professionals (accountants and lawyers) who service these Asian businesses. And these bilingual professionals are usually the children of immigrant parents.

And one doesn't have to be rich in order to open up a small retail shop. The rent in a bad neighborhood is very cheap. There isn't all that much invested in the inventory. They probably learn from their customers' requests and purchases to find out what they need to buy. And if they need health insurance, then one of the spouses works elsewhere for the cheaper group coverage rates. Many Asian immigrants are working two full time jobs to get ahead. Many of those women will work at a major hotel in the housekeeping department for the health insurance and other regular benefits, then their second job will be at an Asian restaurant. And they'll do it for years without any complaints.

Anyway, the key to success for starting a small business is having sound goals, strong family ties and support and the discipline to save for these future goals.

Old 05-16-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Well, I'd say, the FDR administration could have done better for African Americans, if it extended the social programs that helped a lot of white people, to the benefit of more black people. But it's not for the reasons that a lot of conservatives cite ("dependency of welfare programs"), because a lot of the programs just weren't open to black people.

For example, the Social Security Act of 1935 did not include domestic workers and farm laborers, both sectors in which African Americans were disproportionately represented. For whatever reasons or factors (such as opposition by Southern politicians), it would have pretty far-reaching consequences, contributing to the disparity of net worth of White families vs. Black families even today.
I have never believed that the FDR administration was ever an impediment to Blacks. Could FDR had done more for Blacks? Yes, I believe he could have done more. However, this is the way I see it. There were White people on welfare. The social programs helped White people and it didn't cause that much harm. It seems there are people who feel that Blacks should somehow be treated stricter than other populations. I think some people try to argue that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies