Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 09:11 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times

Advertisements

calculus instead of hip hop, work ethic instead of working it, pot clanging instead of gang banging----just guessing. (eddie murphy lied its not all impression management)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 09:18 PM

69 posts, read 259,145 times
I just think its rather trivial that Asians are the only business owners in most urban black neighborhoods. If it weren't for them, there would be nowhere to shop in some of these ghettoes. In Miami, virtually all gas stations and conveniance stores shut their doors after dark, and you have to pay for gas or buy cigarettes through a metal locker and talk through a small hole six inches of paned plexiglass... All to prevent the inevitability of robberies...

Old 01-11-2009, 09:19 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX transplant View Post
Because they sell primarily rice and chicken, two cheap, delicious staples. They open in neighborhoods where rent is cheap and the demand is great, but also where fast food places won't open, therefore attracting all the clientele of the area.

Just for the record, Asians don't go to banks for loans. They borrow from family, family friends, neighbors, previous business partners (all Asian) who will eventually get their money back plus interest which will always be much less than that of any bank. Not everyone is paid back at the same time depending on how much money each individual invests in the business, and the interest agreed on beforehand.
I've also known several cases where the whole family pitches in to put the oldest sibling through college....as soon as he's out, the second-born gets his turn. Sometimes this goes on for 12 or 14 years, but eventually, everyone who wants one has a college degree, and it's all taken care of in the family...no formal loans involved.

Old 01-11-2009, 09:33 PM

998 posts, read 1,332,785 times
I guess it all boils down to sheer determination, willingness to work lonnngg hrs, endure some racial slights and the willingness to take risks

Old 01-11-2009, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
I guess it all boils down to sheer determination, willingness to work lonnngg hrs, endure some racial slights and the willingness to take risks
Taking risks is right. I can't imagine what it would feel like to know that the only businesses in my neighborhood were owned by foreigners who needed six inches of plexiglass and numerous alarms in order to protect themselves from "my people".

Old 01-11-2009, 09:46 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,194,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blank check View Post
Think LA, NYC, and to an extent, every other major city in the country...This OP is no trick question, and has no triggers. Just a question.
Asians such as Chinese and Koreans have always done well in business throughout the US: laundry, groceries, food, etc. The difference between them and average person of other races in the neighborhood is probably related to upbringing. Asian immigrants in general are bull headed in relation to most enterprises. For example, most excel at school, hard work, and business. Both Chinese and Indians (from India), for example, excel in the sciences taught at school. The fact is that a great number of US engineers are Hindus, Korean, and Chinese. International companies regularly recruit graduates from those countries. The same can't be said of the new generations of Asians born in the US, which in a way is very similar to new generations of Americans from all other races.

A lot of Asian immigrants have not trouble living in close quarters with a bunch of family members, just to save a penny. They also go through hard work and dedication to pay for their children's education, which in turn is to the benefit of the parents at old age. I read a story long ago about a very successful Chinese immigrant, a US restauranteur. His mother in China was dying of cancer, so he sold or his businesses and moved back to China to take care of her until her death.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:59 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,369,496 times
This is one of the best explanations I've read for why there are few Black owned businesses especially in Black areas.

Quote:
The true problem, I suspect, is deeper: long years of learning to see ourselves primarily as victims -- of exploitation, of disadvantage, of racism...

Innercity Enterprise

Old 01-11-2009, 11:07 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,369,496 times
This explains the method many immigrants use to fund their businesses.

Do You SUSU? - Associated Content

Old 01-11-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
This explains the method many immigrants use to fund their businesses.

Do You SUSU? - Associated Content
My ex girlfriend used to teach at a community college in Chicago. Three quarters of her mostly minority classroom were black females, and virtually ALL of them went to school by way of minority scholarship, minority grants, Martin Luther King student loans, etc. In most cases, you wouldn't even be able to go to school for free without being either black or female or both. She said the vast majority of these female students would drop out - sometimes only a semester away from graduating. She also said most of the money provided to these young females was not used to pay for books, but instead to raise babies, finance cars, or party.

Old 01-11-2009, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
This is one of the best explanations I've read for why there are few Black owned businesses especially in Black areas.
Whites almost never go to the parts of town where these Korean/Indian Quick-E marts thrive. To blame whitey for that doesn't make sense, as most of the residents of those neighborhoods almost never encounter white people on a day to day basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies