Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 11:42 PM

7,530 posts, read 11,370,853 times

Advertisements

^
Did you read that link?

His point was that Blacks have been too focused on government wealth redistribution since the 1960's-70's and this focus has distracted many Blacks from seeing the need to create and build wealth through increased entreprenurship.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 11:54 PM

69 posts, read 259,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
^
Did you read that link?

His point was that Blacks have been too focused on government wealth redistribution since the 1960's-70's and this focus has distracted many Blacks from seeing the need to create and build wealth through increased entreprenurship.
Yea I read SUSU, very smart. I just got done reading the Inner City article. I studied this subject at great length when I was in college... the urban neighborhoods inhabited by blacks have some real advantages to potential entrepreneuers. For one they are centrally located, ALWAYS in downtown areas, and sometimes they are close to financial districts or other expensive real estate markets. The second advantage is that real estate is fairly cheap in these ghettoized areas.

The argument for entrepreneuers like caterers and party planners was that they would have a central location to serve the paying customers in the more affluent areas by being right on their doorstep. Instead of locating their facilities out in the inner ring of suburbs, a person of such business could corner a certain market by not having to drive so far.

In the end, it's the people who kill industry. When you can't get insurance for your business, or when employees don't feel safe, you CAN'T move to these bad areas.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:07 AM

1,434 posts, read 3,969,397 times
Quote:
To blame whitey for that doesn't make sense, as most of the residents of those neighborhoods almost never encounter white people on a day to day basis.
I remember there was a Black stand up comedian on B.E.T who was joking about growing up in Compton and how he had never even seen a White person upclose until he was 7 years old when his mother took him to Disneyland in Orange County, LOL.

Old 01-12-2009, 12:08 AM

998 posts, read 1,332,919 times
Its just all mindset...I'm very sure blacks can do just as well running these small businesses...give them a little heads up (just a little mind you) to get them up and running and who knows? But never give for free...that will kill the will but rather in loans that need to be repaid over a long period of time. Better yet, if I may dare to..why not resort to Islamic Banking... a big difference between western banking methods and that of Islamic banking is that the bank does not charge interest at all because its against the teachings of Islam. What is done is that the bank becomes something like a partner of the future business person. Its a win-win situation..I mean of course its much deeper than what Im writing..this is just touching the surface

Old 01-12-2009, 01:34 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,350,894 times
I read this horrible joke somewhere that basically said that the only time you'll see an Asian person in a majority black neighborhood is when he/she is trying to sell you a relaxer kit, french nail tips, or an egg roll (please excuse me if this offends anyone, I'm just paraphrasing here)

I remember a similar conversation coming up on a hair forum I used to visit. basically, a lot of hair supply stores in inner city neighborhoods are owned and operated by Asians. some people on the forum were trying to start a movement to only shop at stores owned and operated by blacks, but many complained of the higher prices and small numbers of such businesses. there was a link to a youtube documentary about this issue.

ETA: here's an article about the documentary (which can be found on youtube) and about Koreans and the black hair care market that raises interesting points:

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/liv...uct_placement/

most of the independent hair shops I go to are O&O by Asians, and most have NO clue as to the needs of black hair (especially natural hair!). however the ones I've gone to have always been well stocked w/ the products I needed and the staff have always been nice and it's cheaper than Sally's, so I keep going there. I know of a few online stores O&O by blacks,for example, Carol's Daughters, but I don't like buying stuff like this too often online due to high shipping costs (liquid is heavy!). nowadays, I either make most of my hair products at home, buy all natural products, or get a few select products online or at local specialty shops

in the end, I would love to support businesses O&O by blacks, have even used "black pages" type directories to search for them, and have shopped at several of them, but sadly, they tend to be few and far in between and some are lacking in quality, both in products and customer service. it would be nice if more blacks were willing to own and run successful businesses that would help many blighted inner city neighborhoods bring in revenue, businesses other than the hair braiding salons that tend to overpopulate these areas

Last edited by eevee; 01-12-2009 at 01:57 AM.. Reason: added link

Old 01-12-2009, 06:39 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,184,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Jarrett View Post
I notice that Asian people rarely open up convenience stores in neighborhoods that are predominantly White.
In the "better neighborhoods", the Asians open up restaurants and Asian specialty stores. Again, it's a family team effort. For convenience stores in "better neighborhoods", the chains like 7-Eleven are around, or 24-hour CVS stores.

Old 01-12-2009, 06:56 AM

69 posts, read 259,186 times
With all the government assistance available to blacks to start their own businesses, it bewilders me why they could not sell basic items like food condoms and cigarettes to their own people in their own neighborhoods. They should 'rise up' and demand more than the overpriced crap the Koreans currently sell them...

Old 01-12-2009, 08:59 AM

8,978 posts, read 16,561,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by braderjoe View Post
I guess it all boils down to sheer determination, willingness to work lonnngg hrs, endure some racial slights and the willingness to take risks
True....and it's all tied together in a little-known "secret"....that once you've shown determination, willingness to work long hours, turned a deaf ear to any 'racial slights', and have taken a few risks...PRESTO, most of the "racial slights" go away.

After all the things you've mentioned above, anyone who wants to direct "racial slights" against Asians is going to have to dig pretty deep...in fact, they'd probably look foolish THEMSELVES. Pretty hard to come up with any "dirt" on those who've done so well. Might be a good time to look at your OWN situation, and see if there's any lesson to be learned.

Good point.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:36 AM

297 posts, read 842,166 times
Default Mistaken...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blank check View Post
With all the government assistance available to blacks to start their own businesses, it bewilders me why they could not sell basic items like food condoms and cigarettes to their own people in their own neighborhoods. They should 'rise up' and demand more than the overpriced crap the Koreans currently sell them...
You are mistaken here. And more importantly, there was EXCELLENT conversation happening with this question until you came spitting bile. Ugh.

Anyway, that is one of my frustrations with MY people. My sister and her husband are a stylist & barber, respectively, and run a salon. When we obtain services from them, I pay full price, as I would to any other salon. However, many friends & family members, want a "deal". This is something that plagues our community.

Again, great comments from many on this topic.

Old 01-12-2009, 09:42 AM

799 posts, read 1,445,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blank check View Post

Actually, the prices reflect their losses. In the real world people steal from the register and the shelves. The slightly higher prices make up for revenue lost to theft. It's only acceptable to operate a business that doesn't cover its own costs up to a certain point. If people want cheaper goods they should "rise up" to help prevent theft in their community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies