Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 11:08 AM

7,530 posts, read 11,369,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blessed2stress View Post

Anyway, that is one of my frustrations with MY people. My sister and her husband are a stylist & barber, respectively, and run a salon. When we obtain services from them, I pay full price, as I would to any other salon. However, many friends & family members, want a "deal". This is something that plagues our community.
Wouldn't one way to off set or prevent that stuff is for the business to have certain "deals" being offered for certain purchases to direct those people to? By doing this I think there would be less people wanting a discount or "special deal" for just anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2009, 11:16 AM

Does anyone have an idea on how the Black unemployment rate is being shaped by the lack of Black owned businesses in their areas?

Old 01-12-2009, 11:21 AM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blank check View Post
My ex girlfriend used to teach at a community college in Chicago. Three quarters of her mostly minority classroom were black females, and virtually ALL of them went to school by way of minority scholarship, minority grants, Martin Luther King student loans, etc. In most cases, you wouldn't even be able to go to school for free without being either black or female or both. She said the vast majority of these female students would drop out - sometimes only a semester away from graduating. She also said most of the money provided to these young females was not used to pay for books, but instead to raise babies, finance cars, or party.
I’m sure your ex-girlfriend is above reproach. However, how was she privy to the financial transactions of her students to have firsthand knowledge of where and how they spent their money, or the sources of their income? Of course, they could have all confided in her.

Smart entrepreneurs study their targeted customer base prior to opening a business. Thus, Asians have studied the behavior and spending patterns of inner-city blacks. They realize there is a market for fast food restaurants, hair products, and nail salons. They also realize the risks inherent in owning and operating a business in high-crime areas, but consider the benefits to outweigh the risks. Many black-owned businesses fail in these areas due to the aforementioned reasons, and also the old “crabs in a barrel” mentality, which sadly, is still prevalent among many inner-city blacks.

Old 01-12-2009, 11:33 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
There is more to the story than just hard work. Many Asian immigrants arrive in the US with advance degrees, and either preexisting capital or access to non-traditional financing.

An interesting piece by Sumi K Cho

Reading Rodney King/reading Urban ... - Google Book Search

Old 01-12-2009, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
^
Did you read that link?

His point was that Blacks have been too focused on government wealth redistribution since the 1960's-70's and this focus has distracted many Blacks from seeing the need to create and build wealth through increased entreprenurship.
Going back to this point. Maybe many Blacks haven't seen any incentive to emphasize entreprenurship and other private sector wealth building approaches since many Black-Americans have come to believe since the 1960's & 70's that it's government's job to redistribute the wealth to make up for the economic shortcommings of low income Black areas? Most Black voters seem to vote for BIG government when it comes to economic matters.

Old 01-12-2009, 01:30 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,349,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
There is more to the story than just hard work. Many Asian immigrants arrive in the US with advance degrees, and either preexisting capital or access to non-traditional financing.

An interesting piece by Sumi K Cho

Reading Rodney King/reading Urban ... - Google Book Search
well, non-traditional funding was touched upon in another post, but I don't think the little Korean lady selling me shampoo is likely to have an advance degree

Old 01-12-2009, 01:50 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
well, non-traditional funding was touched upon in another post, but I don't think the little Korean lady selling me shampoo is likely to have an advance degree
You never know...

But that is hardly the point, now is it?

Old 01-12-2009, 01:57 PM

8,652 posts, read 17,244,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2blessed2stress View Post
You are mistaken here. And more importantly, there was EXCELLENT conversation happening with this question until you came spitting bile. Ugh.

Anyway, that is one of my frustrations with MY people. My sister and her husband are a stylist & barber, respectively, and run a salon. When we obtain services from them, I pay full price, as I would to any other salon. However, many friends & family members, want a "deal". This is something that plagues our community.

Again, great comments from many on this topic.
Here's their sign... NO FAMILY OR FRIENDS DISCOUNTS ALLOWED" 'BUT WE DO TAKE OUR OWN COUPONS"

Old 01-12-2009, 02:05 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,660,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Going back to this point. Maybe many Blacks haven't seen any incentive to emphasize entreprenurship and other private sector wealth building approaches since many Black-Americans have come to believe since the 1960's & 70's that it's government's job to redistribute the wealth to make up for the economic shortcommings of low income Black areas? Most Black voters seem to vote for BIG government when it comes to economic matters.
Hate to say this......but since the age of Ronald Reagan BIG government has been distributing money OUT of low-income black areas (and other low-income areas throughout the country) and IN to the pockets of rich suburban neighborhoods and affluent, outsourcing corporate robbers. Just wanted to mention that.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:06 PM

9,326 posts, read 22,023,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blank check View Post
Think LA, NYC, and to an extent, every other major city in the country...This OP is no trick question, and has no triggers. Just a question.
lower rent.. less interest from mainstream retailers to set up shop in those areas
less competition..
able to charge a slightly hire premium

economics 101
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies