Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2009, 01:42 PM

195 posts, read 741,441 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
I'm there, doing that.

I help, family is fine.

Get real, I'm in Philly!
Philly is bad city!!!!
But if you could make it....
I am happy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2009, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoolbro View Post
I notice how all the black beauty supply stores in major cities like chicago, L.A, etc. are owned almost exclusively by Koreans. You rarely see black-owned beauty supply stores. I read that many even have conferences and shows to learn about black hair care and such. It's very difficult for non-Koreans to enter that market. I'll have to find a link.
What is so hard to open up a small business?
Get a license!
Find a good location!
Know where you get the products!
Put them up!
And wait for your next customer to come in...
So simple...

Old 01-13-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blank check View Post
I just think its rather trivial that Asians are the only business owners in most urban black neighborhoods. If it weren't for them, there would be nowhere to shop in some of these ghettoes. In Miami, virtually all gas stations and conveniance stores shut their doors after dark, and you have to pay for gas or buy cigarettes through a metal locker and talk through a small hole six inches of paned plexiglass... All to prevent the inevitability of robberies...
Amen that!

Old 01-13-2009, 01:54 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,738,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcoolbro View Post
I notice how all the black beauty supply stores in major cities like chicago, L.A, etc. are owned almost exclusively by Koreans. You rarely see black-owned beauty supply stores. I read that many even have conferences and shows to learn about black hair care and such. It's very difficult for non-Koreans to enter that market. I'll have to find a link.
The major suppliers are not Koreans, those are just middle-men. If you want to be a supplier like theat, just get a license and head to the beauty salon trade shows, in Chicago its at McCormick Place.

Old 01-13-2009, 02:00 PM

African Americans can achieve what other Asians have achieved!
With hard work and determination, you can do whatever you want to do in America!

Old 01-13-2009, 02:10 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
The major suppliers are not Koreans, those are just middle-men. If you want to be a supplier like theat, just get a license and head to the beauty salon trade shows, in Chicago its at McCormick Place.
where do you think all that human and synthetic hair black women love to wear come from? hint: that long black, silky human hair most likely came from Asia, in particular, Korea

I'm gonna have to dig up that youtube doc that talked in details about this particular topic

Old 01-13-2009, 02:16 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,040,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N.Y.Traveler View Post
African Americans can achieve what other Asians have achieved!
With hard work and determination, you can do whatever you want to do in America!
Ah, excuse me.

Many African Americans are achieve higher levels of economic success than Asians, and the statement seems to imply that all Asians are reaping the great economic success many of whom work in Asian owned sweatshop from the East coast to the West.

Now I will be the first to admit that on a certain level Asians are gaining a firm economic foothold in business formerly owned by African Americans, but that speaks more about African upper mobility and class bifurcation within the African American community than it does to the implied generalize lack of work ethic.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:28 PM

305 posts, read 805,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blank check View Post
Whites almost never go to the parts of town where these Korean/Indian Quick-E marts thrive. To blame whitey for that doesn't make sense, as most of the residents of those neighborhoods almost never encounter white people on a day to day basis.

True, you won't find whites in black areas unless they're renting to low income people. As for the original question the answer is simply that they go where they can attract business. Second, they sell mostly cheap crap so of course lower income people will be the best customer.

You won't find whites shopping at Save-A-Lot Supermarkets.

Old 01-13-2009, 03:44 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,738,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
where do you think all that human and synthetic hair black women love to wear come from? hint: that long black, silky human hair most likely came from Asia, in particular, Korea

I'm gonna have to dig up that youtube doc that talked in details about this particular topic
Cmon will ya? It doesnt matter where the hair comes from, its sold to anyone of every color - so no excuses please. Go the the Midwest Beauty trade show, theres lots of vendors for hair extensions and wigs.

McCormick Place Trade Fairs,America's Beauty Show Event at McCormick Place,How to reach McCormick Place,List of events at McCormick Place,Road Map to McCormick Place,Directory of events at McCormick Place,Business Shows at McCormick Place, Semina

Old 01-13-2009, 04:55 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
Cmon will ya? It doesnt matter where the hair comes from, its sold to anyone of every color - so no excuses please. Go the the Midwest Beauty trade show, theres lots of vendors for hair extensions and wigs.

McCormick Place Trade Fairs,America's Beauty Show Event at McCormick Place,How to reach McCormick Place,List of events at McCormick Place,Road Map to McCormick Place,Directory of events at McCormick Place,Business Shows at McCormick Place, Semina
well, there have MANY arguments by black shop owners that the vendors, the majority of which are black, are putting a chokehold on the distribution of certain products. they felt it was enough of an issue to create an organization just for black business owners. so yes, there may be other reasons why blacks can't make it in this business (though in the end, it comes back to them to help themselves, something black people themselves agree w/. even most black business owners don't blame Asians doing something they themselves should have been doing)

anyhoo, I found links to the youtube doc, which was very interesting:

YouTube - Aron Ranen's Black Hair Documentary Part One

YouTube - Aron Ranen's Black Hair Documentary Part Two

YouTube - Black Hair Documentary Part Three

YouTube - Black Hair Documentary Part Four
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies