Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 01:39 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,181,953 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Since we are playing the over the top ridiculous game...
Just donate everything that means anything to you, to charity.
I guess voting means more to me than just how it affects my wallet. Yeah, that's a big thing...but I want to live in a truly AMERICAN (in spirit) country where every citizen has a voice and some dignity.
There is unfairness on BOTH the "welfare mom" side and the "corporate greed" side. Both sides have people that take advantage. But I think MOST people work hard and try to do the best they can. They deserve a chance at life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
Remember?

Old 03-01-2009, 01:39 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,985,890 times
Basically get rid of poor voters ( who vote Democratic) and young voters ( who vote Democratic)

On behalf of every Democratic voter here.....kiss my asse you elitist anti-American bastarde

Old 03-01-2009, 01:43 PM

5,041 posts, read 6,219,485 times
I like this idea better.

Old 03-01-2009, 01:44 PM

37,195 posts, read 19,232,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Basically get rid of poor voters ( who vote Democratic) and young voters ( who vote Democratic)

On behalf of every Democratic voter here.....kiss my asse you elitist anti-American bastarde
You'll have to be more specific and mark a spot before we can pucker up.

Near as we can tell, you're all asse.

But cheer up. This would qualify you to join the Democratic Party, provided your ears are big enough.

Last edited by cuebald; 03-01-2009 at 01:58 PM..

Old 03-01-2009, 01:53 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,774,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
The trainwreck that is the Obama admiinistration has shown we need to reform voting standards NOW. Suggestions:

1) Only those paying income tax may vote.
2) Raise the minimum voting age to 25.

The framers were onto something when they said only landowners could vote. They founders knew voting was a privilege and only active contributors to the system should have a say.

We should revert to that mentality today. Only those who show gross income on their tax returns should be allowed to vote. If you don't contribute, you don't deserve the privilege. We use the gross figure so as not to penalize people who play the game but have earned tax credits or other deductions which help the economy (such as charitable contributions and depreciation for rental property).

If you're a welfare momma, you stay home on election day. This isn't a punishment; it's the absence of a privilege. Only those who support the system should get a say in how money is spent. If you only sponge off society, why should you get to vote yourself more benefits?

This would go along way in slowing the cycle of inter-generational dependency the Democrats have created. It would also curtail their practice of getting elected by buying votes as Obama has done. And above all, it will reverse the ever-looming point-of-no-return threshold where more than half the population pays no taxes. (See the Roman Empire).

As for a minimum voting age, I think it's important to have first-hand historical perspective. 1992 seems like yesterday to me. For those who recall, we had a similar situation as we have today. We had an unqualified candidate in Bill Clinton with a thin resume and questionable character getting a total pass. We saw the results; an ineffective incompetent morally bankrupt president whose big legacy was getting impeached. We paid for his inaction against terrorism with 9-11. You could argue Clinton's incompetence and inattention to the job (he spent all of 1998 working on his impeachment defense) caused 9-11 and thus the Iraq War. Economically, Clinton's actions with the CRA were the foundation of the mortgage crisis and the subsequent severe recession we are in. Yes, we are still paying and paying dearly because the media failed to scrutinize Bill Clinton.

The problem is, many young voters don't remember any of this. An 18-year-old is too young to have witnessed the backstory, and to have seen the disaster from a media that does not vet liberal candidates.

The result? History has repeated itself. We again elected a completely unvetted unqualified incompetent dishonest candidate in Obama who, only a month in, is wreaking disaster on this country and this economy. And as with Bill Clinton, America will be paying a dear price for decades to come for not heeding history.

Do you really think a homeless bum living over a grate downtown, or a 20-year-old unmarried high school dropout on welfare with three kids should have an equal say in choosing our leadership as the guy working 70 hours a week, employing five workers, and raising a decent family?

I don't. We need voting reform NOW!
Good luck with that proposal!

Old 03-01-2009, 02:16 PM

40,050 posts, read 34,616,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Good luck with that proposal!
There's no way the OP is both serious and sane at the same time. This thread can only have been started with the intent to have people arguing. But no argument is actually necessary. If anyone feels that this country has gone so far down the toilet, they are free to leave. Nobody will detain them against their will at the border.

The idea that someone's voting rights should be restricted because they didn't vote the way someone else thought they should have doesn't even merit the time it takes to read the proposal.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:18 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,985,890 times
Just watching some folks who just lost their jobs and should lose the right to vote according to this anti-American thread starter.

Sac. 'Tent City' Gaining New Residents By River - cbs13.com (http://cbs13.com/local/tent.city.american.2.942256.html - broken link)

Old 03-01-2009, 02:29 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,395,454 times
If Obama is a trainwreck, then what in the hell was Bush and his band of dimwits? I find that those who are critical of Obama this early in his presidency are:

1) Reeling from sour grapes overload.
2) Have the poorest political instincts in history.
3) Voted for the re-election of Bush, which eliminates them from relevance.
4) Couldn't recognize a good administration if it bit them on the butt.
5) Never wanted him to succeed and pray every day that he fails.
5) Are wrong.

As a result, the only voting changes that this country desperately needs is to eliminate the red state vote. This segment has weighed this country down far too long.

Old 03-01-2009, 02:37 PM

5,376 posts, read 5,349,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post
The trainwreck that is the Obama admiinistration has shown we need to reform voting standards NOW. Suggestions:

1) Only those paying income tax may vote.
2) Raise the minimum voting age to 25.

The framers were onto something when they said only landowners could vote. They founders knew voting was a privilege and only active contributors to the system should have a say.

We should revert to that mentality today. Only those who show gross income on their tax returns should be allowed to vote. If you don't contribute, you don't deserve the privilege. We use the gross figure so as not to penalize people who play the game but have earned tax credits or other deductions which help the economy (such as charitable contributions and depreciation for rental property).

If you're a welfare momma, you stay home on election day. This isn't a punishment; it's the absence of a privilege. Only those who support the system should get a say in how money is spent. If you only sponge off society, why should you get to vote yourself more benefits?

This would go along way in slowing the cycle of inter-generational dependency the Democrats have created. It would also curtail their practice of getting elected by buying votes as Obama has done. And above all, it will reverse the ever-looming point-of-no-return threshold where more than half the population pays no taxes. (See the Roman Empire).

As for a minimum voting age, I think it's important to have first-hand historical perspective. 1992 seems like yesterday to me. For those who recall, we had a similar situation as we have today. We had an unqualified candidate in Bill Clinton with a thin resume and questionable character getting a total pass. We saw the results; an ineffective incompetent morally bankrupt president whose big legacy was getting impeached. We paid for his inaction against terrorism with 9-11. You could argue Clinton's incompetence and inattention to the job (he spent all of 1998 working on his impeachment defense) caused 9-11 and thus the Iraq War. Economically, Clinton's actions with the CRA were the foundation of the mortgage crisis and the subsequent severe recession we are in. Yes, we are still paying and paying dearly because the media failed to scrutinize Bill Clinton.

The problem is, many young voters don't remember any of this. An 18-year-old is too young to have witnessed the backstory, and to have seen the disaster from a media that does not vet liberal candidates.

The result? History has repeated itself. We again elected a completely unvetted unqualified incompetent dishonest candidate in Obama who, only a month in, is wreaking disaster on this country and this economy. And as with Bill Clinton, America will be paying a dear price for decades to come for not heeding history.

Do you really think a homeless bum living over a grate downtown, or a 20-year-old unmarried high school dropout on welfare with three kids should have an equal say in choosing our leadership as the guy working 70 hours a week, employing five workers, and raising a decent family?

I don't. We need voting reform NOW!
There are so many things wrong with this post, I just don't know where to start. But I will cover one point:

First,
those over 30 voted for Obama 50% to 48%
in the under 29 group Whites voted for Obama 54% to 44%
those with College education voted for Obama at both the under and the over 30 age groups.(65 to 32 and 50 to 49)

Pew Research Center: Young Voters in the 2008 Election

"Young people were not, however, crucial to Barack Obama's victory, according to the exit polls. Obama would have lost Indiana and North Carolina, but carried other key states such as Ohio and Florida, as well as the national vote. But young people provided not only their votes but also many enthusiastic campaign volunteers. Some may have helped persuade parents and older relatives to consider Obama's candidacy. And far more young people than older voters reported attending a campaign event while nearly one-in-ten donated money to a presidential candidate."

So they only way this would work would be if you only allowed uneducated over 30 white people to vote....

and that is how i take your proposal. rich and white need only apply.

still pissed, one more:
Quote:
Do you really think a homeless bum living over a grate downtown... or
Many of those "homeless bums" are military veterans. Lets throw them out.
They don't count now. Thanks for serving but no thanks.

Last edited by plannine; 03-01-2009 at 03:22 PM..

Old 03-01-2009, 03:14 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,188,633 times
Republicans love America - They just hate half of the people in it ~Jon Stewart
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies