Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2009, 03:45 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,290,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevK View Post
Everybody is a potential member of the Army. They all have to register if they are males (BTW this should be extended to females too)
As I said in another post, a small percentage of those who can vote ever enlist in the military so that should never be used to give all of them the privilege of voting.

I am having so much fun on this thread but it is getting ridiculous so I think I will exit it in a minute.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:48 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,774,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Sorry, Austin. You have to know that the younger men are those preferred by the military. They are less likely to have a family and therefore back off in combat. They take orders so much more readily since they have been doing so all their lives.

Anyone who uses that serve in the military makes one old enough to vote is using liberal reasoning and nothing less. I never did agree with the 18 year old voting thing because I taught too many 18 year olds who just weren't mature enough to take part in voting. In fact, all of them were too young.
Younger men are more trainable. 18 year olds can be broken down and rebuilt unless they have mental problems or really terrible lives. 40 year olds generally are set in their ways and beliefs and are far less likely to be broken down and rebuilt into the kinds of men the military wants. They are less likely to accept authority, take orders or salute officers that are 10 years younger than they are.

Old 03-01-2009, 03:49 PM

11,078 posts, read 15,087,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I've been married thirty-one years.

To the same woman, too.

When do the "rational" days start? I'm getting old enough that I don't buy green bananas any more. Do you think she'll get "rational" soon?
Good luck and if you figure it out PLEASE DM me with the methods you used ol' buddy.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:13 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,865,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeeee22895 View Post

The framers were onto something when they said only landowners could vote. They founders knew voting was a privilege and only active contributors to the system should have a say.

We should revert to that mentality today. Only those who show gross income on their tax returns should be allowed to vote. If you don't contribute, you don't deserve the privilege. We use the gross figure so as not to penalize people who play the game but have earned tax credits or other deductions which help the economy (such as charitable contributions and depreciation for rental property).

If you're a welfare momma, you stay home on election day. This isn't a punishment; it's the absence of a privilege. Only those who support the system should get a say in how money is spent. If you only sponge off society, why should you get to vote yourself more benefits?

As for a minimum voting age, I think it's important to have first-hand historical perspective. 1992 seems like yesterday to me. For those who recall, we had a similar situation as we have today. We had an unqualified candidate in Bill Clinton with a thin resume and questionable character getting a total pass. We saw the results; an ineffective incompetent morally bankrupt president whose big legacy was getting impeached. We paid for his inaction against terrorism with 9-11. You could argue Clinton's incompetence and inattention to the job (he spent all of 1998 working on his impeachment defense) caused 9-11 and thus the Iraq War. Economically, Clinton's actions with the CRA were the foundation of the mortgage crisis and the subsequent severe recession we are in. Yes, we are still paying and paying dearly because the media failed to scrutinize Bill Clinton.

The problem is, many young voters don't remember any of this. An 18-year-old is too young to have witnessed the backstory, and to have seen the disaster from a media that does not vet liberal candidates.

The result? History has repeated itself. We again elected a completely unvetted unqualified incompetent dishonest candidate in Obama who, only a month in, is wreaking disaster on this country and this economy. And as with Bill Clinton, America will be paying a dear price for decades to come for not heeding history.

I don't. We need voting reform NOW!
Wow.... You sat by while the REpublicans overthrew the government in 2000. They illegally refused the right to vote to people quite eligible, they stole ballots, and then the Supreme Court got involved and took away an entire states right to vote. Now that a majority spoke against what you think you think we need reform. It isn't voter reform you want but a republican dictatorship.

btw the reason young people don't recognize Clinton caused 9/11 is because it isn't true. but what a warped imagination you have. Seems you would be far more concerned about Bush ignoring the waring of 14 governements and intelligence organizations that an attack was immanent. Do you recall the white house ordered all their close people like the attorney general to stop taking civilian aircraft and fly private? I'm sure you don't care about questioning why the secret sevice started placing surface to air missles where the president was staying....

You want cupability for 9/11.... look to those you seem to adore so much. they won't be shown in a good light. They wanted it to happen and immediately made use of the incident for their own personal gain and agenda. Take the rose colored glasses off and see them for what they were, traitors and oportunists. I still want them held accountable for their war crimes.

voter reform.... yes but lets go back and throw those responsible for the government overthrow of 2000 in jail. But I'm certain you don't think anything is wrong about taking law abiding citizens that pay taxes and listing them as felons so they can't vote. They don't agree with your view of the world, they believe in a democracy, not the facist regime you seek.

Old 03-01-2009, 04:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allydriver View Post
Now if we could work an I.Q. test and an American history quiz into the elgibility requirement ...

um not many people would pass either.... I doubt you can find more than 10% of Americans that can pass the citizenship test, while many foreigners can... the difference is that the foreigners value it more than the vastly ignorant Americans.

I think what you propose was the methods used to preclude Blacks from voting. Is that really waht you want?

Old 03-01-2009, 04:27 PM

Here you go you want to limit the right to vote for others see how good of a citizen you are.

Could you pass the latest citizenship test? - July 4 special- msnbc.com

can you pass it? ... yes i did if you wondered.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:20 PM

1,336 posts, read 1,533,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin13 View Post
"The trainwreck that is the Obama admiinistration has shown we need to reform voting standards NOW. Suggestions:

1) Only those paying income tax may vote.
2) Raise the minimum voting age to 25."

Should we raise the legal age for joining the mililtary to 25 as well? Not smart enough to vote prior to age 25, but still "valid" enough to go to war and be killed if under age 25?

Let's see. If your wife doesn't work and doesn't have to pay income taxes because she earns no income, should she NOT BE ALLOWED to vote?
1) I might be able to make an exception for a combat veteran.
2) Most people's spouses file jointly, so both get to vote.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
Cool.

Don't stop short, though. Let's require voters to be male, Christian, free, white, 21 years of age, and landowners, and require them to wear a sidearm to the polls and bring proof of employment and solvency and their own Bibles to swear allegiance to the United States before being allowed to vote.

That'll cut out the riffraff and make America great again.
Why would you object to only contributors voting? I didn't say they had to be zillionaires. Just as long as they're produce even a tiny amount. That takes care of most liberal jobs; Wal-Mart greeters, paperboys, and can collectors.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
Yes. Anybody who will not vote like you would should not be allowed to vote. So there! (And no white shoes after Labor Day, too.)
By the way...if no "welfare mommas" can vote then what about the deadbeat dads that created the little bundles of joy and left momma on welfare?
Really, we just need to curb what I call the Dumbass Vote. High school dropouts and non-contributors.

Old 03-01-2009, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Why don't you just go all the way with it rather than pussyfooting around???

Limit voting to those who drive 5 Series BMW's cars or better.....I sure that's the voting bloc your looking for....LOL
The people with 5 BMW's probably have contributed much to this economy. They have more business voting than the sponges do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies