Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2009, 05:23 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,589,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
I thinks that this needs reposting because most of us are just damn tired of the nanny state that many of you seem to want.

THOSE BORN 1920-1979
TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED the 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can, and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-based paints.

We had no child proof lids on medicine bottles, doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had no helmets, not to mention, the risks we took hitchhiking.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, booster seats, seat belts or air bags.

Riding in the back of a pick up on a warm day was always a special treat.
We drank water from the garden hose and NOT from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and NO ONE actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread and real butter and drank Kool-aid made with sugar, but we weren't overweight because, WE WERE ALWAYS OUTSIDE PLAYING!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day.And we were OK.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Playstations, Nintendo's, X-boxes, no video games at all, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet or chatrooms........

WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and although we were told it would happen, we did not poke out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them!

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment. Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever!

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.
We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned HOW TO DEAL WITH IT ALL!

If YOU are one of them CONGRATULATIONS!

You might want to share this with others who have had the luck to grow up as kids, before the lawyers and the government regulated so much of our lives for our own good .

While you are at it, forward it to your kids so they will know how brave (and lucky) their parents were.

Kind of makes you want to run through the house with scissors, doesn't it?!
This is totally not on subject, but I love this list! It's so true too, parents nowadays are just uber-protective, it's kind of sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2009, 05:25 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,974,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
No, I think anyone whose posts have to be removed or cut by mods are enraged. So far, that's just you and 2 other SMOKERS.
Or maybe there are posters here who run off like children reporting any post they attempt to take offense to?

Maybe we should run it through a proxy and ask the almighty computer what it thinks?

Old 04-24-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper325 View Post
Like other drugs, smoking is an addiction. My husband started at 18 when he was in the army because everyone was doing and cigs were cheap. He died of lung cancer in Jan. leaving 12 nad 9 year children. The sad part is as he was dying he was craving cigs even though he hadn't had one in over a year.
I'm very sorry to hear that. I smoke & I know for a fact it's bad for me, unfortunately I choose to ignore it & keep smoking. Stay strong.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:55 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,933,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
This is totally not on subject, but I love this list! It's so true too, parents nowadays are just uber-protective, it's kind of sad.
It is on subject when one realizes that the anti-smoking nazis are the same ones who demanded the idiot helmets for riding bikes and the rest of the crap to protect people from themselves.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Ewww, and I don't like people who wear too much perfume and I think they should be taken out and quartered.

Thankfully, I learned as a child that I can not demand everyone else meet my subjective personal opinion. So, as an adult, I choose to avoid things that bother me. I may come in contact with them from time to time, but by the power of choice, I choose to remove myself from those situations. I pity the poor stupid people in the world who have yet to figure out their own power of choice and still operate in the childish manner of demanding everyone conform to them.

The sad thing is that we have a society of people who would not exist if it were not for the intervention of policies that have robbed nature of its rightful claim.
Very well put!!! Thank you for stating the truth.

Old 04-24-2009, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
It is on subject when one realizes that the anti-smoking nazis are the same ones who demanded the idiot helmets for riding bikes and the rest of the crap to protect people from themselves.
Amazingly, I still have not come to a conclusion on what I think about seatbelt/helmet laws. It's a no-brainer that they save lives, I'm just not sure that I appreciate it when I get pulled over & get a ticket for not wearing my seatbelt instead of getting a speeding ticket. That actually happened to me years ago, I was a little taken aback because I was in fact speeding, I thought for sure I'd get ticketed for that. Although I do think that passengers in cars/motorcycles should be required to wear the helmets, they're just along for the ride, not the ones in control.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:00 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,852,695 times
Every now and then when I am just going a short distance I purposely leave the seat belt off because it gives me a slight feeling of freedom.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Amazingly, I still have not come to a conclusion on what I think about seatbelt/helmet laws. It's a no-brainer that they save lives, I'm just not sure that I appreciate it when I get pulled over & get a ticket for not wearing my seatbelt instead of getting a speeding ticket. That actually happened to me years ago, I was a little taken aback because I was in fact speeding, I thought for sure I'd get ticketed for that. Although I do think that passengers in cars/motorcycles should be required to wear the helmets, they're just along for the ride, not the ones in control.
Not motorcylcles...regular bicycles.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomander View Post
Or maybe there are posters here who run off like children reporting any post they attempt to take offense to?

Maybe we should run it through a proxy and ask the almighty computer what it thinks?

That would be the same nazis who want to control what everyone does as the anti-smoking nazis.

Old 04-24-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
Every now and then when I am just going a short distance I purposely leave the seat belt off because it gives me a slight feeling of freedom.
I actually did that today, I stopped at the liquor store to get my beloved Cabernet & on the way to my apartment I didn't use my seatbelt. However, it's only a few blocks. I actually feel very vulnerable when I don't wear it, I have now been a very staunch supporter of wearing seatbelts. To the point where I make all my passengers buckle up as soon as they get in, I just feel to scared to not wear one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies