Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-28-2009, 12:26 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,388,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
If it makes you feel better I'm also against lightening striking people and humans engaging in sex with horses.
What is your stance on lightning striking people engaged in sex with horses?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mearth View Post
In the United States, a child is 100 times more likely to be killed by a parent or caretaker than by a dog attack.
Kinda puts it in perspective.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:45 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post
I know you're asking momonkey, but I couldn't help myself.

I presume a person who engages in sex with horses is probably pretty unlucky in courting humans. Combine that with the bad luck of getting struck by lightning, and that's one unlucky person. That's a REALLY unlucky horse, too.

So... what we have here is just an issue of terribly bad luck culminating at a certain place and time.

What we need to ask ourselves is, "Can this be prevented?"

Let's start at the top. Black cats are probably the guilty party. For the sake of horses everywhere, we should euthanize all black cats. If that doesn't work, we'll move on to owls that fly in the day, and then so on and so forth in that fashion until the horses are safe from lightning conducted via lonely perverts.

Old 04-28-2009, 12:49 PM

1,904 posts, read 3,989,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oberon_1 View Post
Speaking of dog attacks - does anyone have statistical figures? Such as how many registered attacks by dogs considered friendly like Golden Retrievers, Labradors, poodles, etc. One might be surprised.
But people are afraid of Pit Bulls, Dobermans, etc. because the damage they inflict if they attack. However, I am confident that there are more Labradors attacks and bites then Dobermans'.
There are probably more labrador attacks statistically. because they are a more popular breed thus with more dogs in the general population. I'd be surprised if the fatality numbers of these attacks were even close.

Like many, I believe that the problem with pit bulls is more with the owners than the actual breed. I've met many pit bulls that were as sweet and gentle as could be. That being said, I am more alert when I see a pit bull around my dogs (no kids here.)

I also believe that as the pit bull-type breeds were bred to be fighting/attack dogs, it is very difficult for one to know exactly what the true temperment of their dog is until it is too late. I have 2 somewhat personal examples:
1. I was at a park with my dogs and a woman (late 50s) had a pit bull puppy, probably 12-15 weeks old. It's first interaction with my dog was latching onto it's neck. Thankfully, small dog easy to pry the jaws open. This woman was as sweet as my grandmother, not the dog-fighting type if you know what I mean.
2. I had a co-worker whose in-laws owned a pit bull. The dog was 10 years old and was the family pet. never had any problems. One day a grand-child was at the house playing and the dog attacked without warning. Severe facial scarring which included several plastic surgeries was the result.

Personally, I do not agree with BSL's of any kind. I think punishment should be sought to the owners of the dogs, including family members. I would not own a pit bull for the fear of the true unknown of their bloodline.

Old 04-28-2009, 01:07 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,849,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Carbonni View Post
I've read the stats, probably more than you have.

I also know that you are more likely to be killed my lightening than by ANY dog period. I also know that the CDC itself has said that the statistic that Pit Bulls are responsible for a third of fatal dog attacks is unreliable because many people use the word to describe any muscular dog with a broad head and there have been know cases were people have called Staffordshire Terriers, Bull Terriers, Mastiffs, and other breeds of dogs Pit Bulls.

Just because you can find some articles of a very publicized (although extremely rare) event, doesn't mean it is a major issue in regards to public safety. I can find at least one incident of a man who was killed because he had sex with a horse, yet death by horse penis is not a major threat.

The Seattle Times: Local News: Trespassing charged in horse-sex case

Old 04-28-2009, 01:10 PM

21 posts, read 39,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post
LOL! Maybe we should ban reproduction. After all, a lot of babies grow up to commit violent crimes. To top that off, history and current events have proven that humans are a violent breed that have an over-whelming statistical tendency to harm their own kind as well as other species, often with what are even unnatural motivations (and that's VERY unnerving). Those that don't exhibit violence are really just suppressing their instinctive urges due to laws (there's testimonial and subjective proof that non-violent individuals have fantasized about harming others on numerous occasions), and a statistically significant group of us break the law despite the consequences, proof that our "rational" and "sentient" states are merely a repressive delusion. Many non-violent people even accidently harm others due to negligence or when preoccupied with business over public health, proving that those of us who heed our conscience cannot even trust ourselves in all cases. Some of us hurt ourselves and defy our own standards, merely for a good feeling or just to get some kicks. Coupled with the fact that life itself is dangerous, this leads to the conclusion that we should all euthanize ourselves... for safety's sake.
Uh huh Stingray...here's my new pop / punk song..."Euthanasia (sp?) for all the youth in Asia. Oh yeah...for your kids too. Scan their brains...they're all the same...Doin' the crime only to pass the blame."

I remember certain posters from other threads. So dogmatic. Not so pragmatic. Wait! A pun! Happy happy joy joy!

Old 04-28-2009, 01:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Worley View Post

Originally Posted by Mearth
In the United States, a child is 100 times more likely to be killed by a parent or caretaker than by a dog attack.

Kinda puts it in perspective.
To quote David St. Hutchins from Spinal Tap..."Too much perspective."

Old 04-28-2009, 01:16 PM

Default Aren't we just the happy campers?

Speaking of a species that is violent towards its own...

When Beliefs Collide (A 9-11 Reflection)

A giant cloud of dust and debris lay
smoldering the day beliefs collided.
Death and destruction so concrete.
From enemy ideals carried in on the mist of the morning.
Dreary days and restless nights await.
Cries of pain and rebel shouts.
Talk turns to war and deliverance.
Fear and doubt send us running.
Darkness fill souls, leaving ordinary men
blinded by envy, hatred and unyielding Dogma.
Such dangerous business,
hunting in the shadows for invisible enemies.
Coming closer to eternal gloom.
Allegiance to God from both sides.
With promises of riches and immortality
As the devil waits, grinning and opened armed,
at the gates of hell, opened by mortal hands
and insatiable greed.

CB

Old 04-28-2009, 03:10 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,181,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
How would you enforce that? You do know that it's quite easy to breed a dog and sell puppies, right? It would be nearly impossible to regulate.

Oh, and I'm not a creep and my pit bull isn't vicious.
If you'd just calm down (I see this is an emotional issue for you...and I am NOT saying it shouldn't be) you would see that I only agreed with a possible suggestion to reduce the number of irresponsible pet owners.

Like it or not:
SOME dogs can be aggressive.
SOME owners can be creeps that only want a viscious dog.

THE REST of us have the right not to be subjected to this.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:16 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
If you'd just calm down (I see this is an emotional issue for you...and I am NOT saying it shouldn't be) you would see that I only agreed with a possible suggestion to reduce the number of irresponsible pet owners.

Like it or not:
SOME dogs can be aggressive.
SOME owners can be creeps that only want a viscious dog.

THE REST of us have the right not to be subjected to this.
I apologize if I sounded 'emotional' over the issue. What I inferred over your last post was that only creeps want to own vicious dogs i.e. pit bulls and I resented the fact that you were lumping everyone that owned these dogs, and the dogs themselves, into this category.

I don't mind people trying to get backyard breeders and thugs to stop dog fighting rings and quit breeding dogs, that doesn't bother me at all. Unfortunately it would be nearly impossible to enforce.

Old 04-28-2009, 03:41 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,181,722 times
^^Nah. I think any animal can be a good pet in the right hands...unfortunately when they are in the wrong hands, it's unfair to society (AND unfair to the animal.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies