Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 08:46 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,199,942 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Thats why I was a bit snarky with him/her. I probably shouldn't have been but they drop in with some hateful comment and haven't engaged in the conversation.
I could sit here and dig up stats all day long and all I will hear is it's the owner or what's an actual pit bull. You folks are in denial. I don't dispute you may own a nice pit bull or not all pits are bad, but they have turned into a menace.

Believe me, I'm for less restrictive government, and know what it's like to singled out, I'm a smoker, but children and the elderly are dying horrible deaths by these beasts. We find a little lead in childrens toys from China and they are yanked of the shelf quicker than you can bat an eye, but allow viscous dogs to run around to kill and mame. You think that is right?

Old 04-27-2009, 08:53 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,281,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Thats why I was a bit snarky with him/her. I probably shouldn't have been but they drop in with some hateful comment and haven't engaged in the conversation.
You're wasting your time. As am I. People like this go through their whole life reacting, based on the belief system in which they were raised, rather than educating themselves about the issues. Plus, it's so much easier--and a lot more fun and self-righteous!--to blame the animal. It's a sublimated form of animal hatred. These are the type of folks who claim to hate animal abuse, but who would probably secretly get a thrill out of watching a pit bull be euthanized. Whatever.

Old 04-27-2009, 08:56 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,849,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post
I could sit here and dig up stats all day long and all I will hear is it's the owner or what's an actual pit bull. You folks are in denial. I don't dispute you may own a nice pit bull or not all pits are bad, but they have turned into a menace.

Believe me, I'm for less restrictive government, and know what it's like to singled out, I'm a smoker, but children and the elderly are dying horrible deaths by these beasts. We find a little lead in childrens toys from China and they are yanked of the shelf quicker than you can bat an eye, but allow viscous dogs to run around to kill and mame. You think that is right?
But your stats are wrong..Pitbulls are the most misidentified breed of dog. Thats why I ask people to answer what is a pitbull. If you can't identify the suppose monster then how can you claim that it is a monster. Some experts say that more than 75% of the dogs identified as pitbulls are not pitbulls at all.
Recognizing the Pit Bull Breed: American Staffordshire Terriers are Often Confused with Other Breeds (http://petcare.suite101.com/article.cfm/recognizing_the_pit_bull_breed - broken link)
http://petcare.suite101.com/article.cfm/recognizing_the_pit_bull_breed#ixzz0Dw91aSPH&B

Quote:
According to Alan Sullivan, a former Boston area animal control officer, more than 75 percent of the dogs that are described as "pit bulls" are actually other dog breeds."People will see a muscular, intimidating dog and they'll automatically call it a pit bull. It's frightening how few people can correctly identify a pit bull when they see one," Sullivan explained, adding, "As an animal control officer, I investigated many dog mauling cases and few involved true pit bulls.
"Many of the dogs involved in dog bite incidents and maulings are reported as pit bulls, but few actually are. Labrador retrievers, cocker spaniels, Siberian huskies - dogs that are typically viewed as good family dogs are most often the breeds that are involved in these mauling and dog bite incidents. Unfortunately, people blame pit bulls for the work of more than two dozen dog breeds, so it's no wonder that they've got a bad reputation in some people's minds."

Last edited by lamexican; 04-27-2009 at 09:05 PM..

Old 04-27-2009, 09:00 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,849,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
You're wasting your time. As am I. People like this go through their whole life reacting, based on the belief system in which they were raised, rather than educating themselves about the issues. Plus, it's so much easier--and a lot more fun and self-righteous!--to blame the animal. It's a sublimated form of animal hatred. These are the type of folks who claim to hate animal abuse, but who would probably secretly get a thrill out of watching a pit bull be euthanized. Whatever.
I'm not letting them spread the hate and lies without being challenged and I know that you won't either.

Old 04-27-2009, 09:44 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tablemtn View Post
As long as you keep the dog under your control, and don't allow it to get loose, fairness really won't be an issue, since nobody will have a problem with the dog.

And she doesn't get loose and my dog is completely under control, she never leaves the house without an ID collar and head harness. Unfortunately, even if she is extremely well behaved, people will look at her and say 'no'.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:05 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,885,552 times
Not sure this link will work. Do you remember Our Gang or Little Rascals TV show? Remember their dog Pete. Watch the link.

YouTube - Pete the Pup in Our Gang helping the kids (Little Rascals)

Old 04-28-2009, 07:08 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,033,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I've had it with these glassy eyed lunatic Pit Bull owners who simply refuse to understand that their dogs are a danger to all children at all times. Their is no safe Pit Bull ever. How many more times will we need to hear of a baby, small child or senior citizen being ripped to shreads by these ignorant animals before we realize that they cannot be made safe? I propose we ban this most vicious of dog breeds nationwide.

Pit bull kills 7-year-old Minneapolis boy at home

Pit Bull Kills Child in Huntington - WBOY-TV - WBOY.com (http://wboy.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=2866 - broken link)

Pitbull KILLS 12month old in EastPointe MI - February 2009 Birth Club - BabyCenter

Pit bull kills child and injures grandmother | Independent, The (London) | Find Articles at BNET

12-Year-Old Boy Killed By Pit Bull - CBS News

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf (broken link)
Oh, Gosh...lets talk about breeding.

And then factor in who owns and tortures pit bulls.

And see the breed.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:10 AM

15,754 posts, read 7,600,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I've had it with these glassy eyed lunatic Pit Bull owners who simply refuse to understand that their dogs are a danger to all children at all times. Their is no safe Pit Bull ever. How many more times will we need to hear of a baby, small child or senior citizen being ripped to shreads by these ignorant animals before we realize that they cannot be made safe? I propose we ban this most vicious of dog breeds nationwide.

Pit bull kills 7-year-old Minneapolis boy at home

Pit Bull Kills Child in Huntington - WBOY-TV - WBOY.com (http://wboy.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=2866 - broken link)

Pitbull KILLS 12month old in EastPointe MI - February 2009 Birth Club - BabyCenter

Pit bull kills child and injures grandmother | Independent, The (London) | Find Articles at BNET

12-Year-Old Boy Killed By Pit Bull - CBS News

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf (broken link)

There are no bad dog breeds. Just bad people.

Old 04-28-2009, 07:11 AM

1,490 posts, read 2,033,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
Not sure this link will work. Do you remember Our Gang or Little Rascals TV show? Remember their dog Pete. Watch the link.

YouTube - Pete the Pup in Our Gang helping the kids (Little Rascals)

I love hearing that song!

Pete was one of the first dogs I ever loved.

Thanks.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:30 AM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xlabel View Post

I don't really think the potential for lead to poison and the potential for a pitbull to attack are comparable. 100% of people exposed to excessive lead are poisoned, but the vast majority of people exposed to pitbulls are not attacked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies