Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 05:09 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,849,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
The media did it! It ain't us, it's the media! The Media has distorted our image to make us look bad...
Chris Rock said it best...

Seriously, why would "the media" in their big conspiracy decide to single out a dog breed and make it a scapegoat? I've met a lot of people who have known someone to be attacked by a pit bull. It's simply a fact that the most violent attacks come from the dogs most capable of violence, and the Pit is obviously #1 in that category.

Pits were designed to kill, that's how the various breeds of Pit Bull exist. They make great companions and are smart dogs, but they are also quite dangerous.

Most dogs in shelters are Pit Bull mixes or Pit Bulls because there are too many irresponsible owners who do no neuter their dogs, who do not train them, and who simply let them loose. You hear stories about Pit Bulls roaming and attacking people...I've never heard of a gang of Newfoundlands doing that. The media reports what news comes out, they don't manufacture stories about Pit Bulls attacking little old ladies.

Again, I am not suggesting we ban the breed, but that we make it more difficult for irresponsible owners to get one. They are dangerous, you cannot deny that, no matter how much you claim the Media has a vendetta against them.
Funny you bring up the Newfoundland. Do you know the a century ago the Newfoundland was one of the villified breeds that was known for not only killing men but eating them? That book I suggested will open your eyes to the current pitbull wich hunt.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:10 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,927,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Funny you bring up the Newfoundland. Do you know the a century ago the Newfoundland was one of the villified breeds that was known for not only killing men but eating them? That book I suggested will open your eyes to the current pitbull wich hunt.
These are media idiots that believe what they hear on the television and radio. They don't know **** themselves and just love to launch into these hate filled diatribes showing their out and out ignorance.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:12 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,351,048 times
Quote:
Actually it was the Bulldog that was bred for bull baiting, hence the name BULLDOG. The pit bull was bred for the pit,hence the name. Pitbulls are terriers and were matched against rats and other pits.
No, they were both bred for Bull Baiting, and then the breeds took different turns when Bull Baiting was made illegal.
Bulldogs were pushed towards being family dogs, and Pit Bulls were pushed towards fighting.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
These are media idiots that believe what they hear on the television and radio. They don't know **** themselves and just love to launch into these hate filled diatribes showing their out and out ignorance.
And you know so much?

I researched my facts. The Center for Disease Control is a far more reputable source than some moron on City-Data who thinks he can beat me in an argument by simply trying (and failing) to insult me.

If anyone should use facts, it would be you...the troll of this thread.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
No, they were both bred for Bull Baiting, and then the breeds took different turns when Bull Baiting was made illegal.
Bulldogs were pushed towards being family dogs, and Pit Bulls were pushed towards fighting.
They never were good at it thats why they didn't become popular until Bullbaiting was outlawed. If you want to learn about the history of many of these breeds I recommend this book.
Amazon.com: The History of Fighting Dogs: Dieter Fleig, William Charlton: Books

Old 04-27-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Stop telling me to stop saying anything. I post the truth and you post glorified myths and such from the media. I will stop when the people stop posting the crap LIES they do about the breed.
You don't respond to anything I say, you just whine and complain that I'm posting "Lies" when I'm using the AKC's own information on the breed of APBT to support my argument. Any dog where the AKC says "training is a must, one must show dominance over the dog, can be prone to aggression" is a dangerous dog. Seriously, I'm not exactly saying that Pit Bulls caused our financial crisis...I'm just saying that it's a public safety issue to allow dangerous dogs to go completely unchecked and be placed into the hands of dangerous people. Would you let a Child molester live next door to a school? Of course not, because it's asking for trouble. It's just like allowing a violent ex-convict to own a pit bull, it's asking for trouble.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
You don't respond to anything I say, you just whine and complain that I'm posting "Lies" when I'm using the AKC's own information on the breed of APBT to support my argument. Any dog where the AKC says "training is a must, one must show dominance over the dog, can be prone to aggression" is a dangerous dog. Seriously, I'm not exactly saying that Pit Bulls caused our financial crisis...I'm just saying that it's a public safety issue to allow dangerous dogs to go completely unchecked and be placed into the hands of dangerous people. Would you let a Child molester live next door to a school? Of course not, because it's asking for trouble. It's just like allowing a violent ex-convict to own a pit bull, it's asking for trouble.
Training is a must for any dog, purebred or a mutt. I wonder if you think that all breeds descriptions that say training is a must should be regulated.Would suggest heavy regulation on the entire terrier group?

Old 04-27-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Training is a must for any dog, purebred or a mutt. I wonder if you think that all breeds descriptions that say training is a must should be regulated.Would suggest heavy regulation on the entire terrier group?
I believe that terriers are dangerous around children and small animals and that's why I didn't get one. I do believe that all dogs should be more regulated, because there are far too many irresponsible owners out there. Especially with Pet Stores in shopping malls that just beg for impulse buys of cute puppies. But on breeds like the APBT, Newfoundland, Rottweiler, Doberman, Husky and other stronger and fiercer dogs, it's more important because they can do serious damage to a human adult, while a Jack Russell can only do minor damage to an adult.

I don't think anything should be outright illegal to own as a pet if you display enough knowledge and understanding about the animal, even bears and tigers...but it's a public safety issue for a family to have a Pit Bull out at a park who escapes their grip and runs at a child playing with a ball. That's why only responsible owners should be allowed to have such a dangerous pet.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:33 PM

Quote:
By the way Bulldogs were nearly extinct and then turned into a caricature of themselves. Poor Bulldogs once healthy animals, now can barely breathe or walk. One of the reasons I admire pitbulls is that they are one of the few breeds that have not been bred merely for show and therefore retain their great desire to serve their family. They are also about the healthiest breed because they are bred for performance and not show. They have very little of the commom health problems in dogs like hip dysplacia. I have a female Bulldog and a female pitbull and they are both wonderful.

Old 04-27-2009, 05:38 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,927,971 times
Quote:

Lah...blah...blah...Ignore me if you hate my posts so much. As for me, I will continue to rebutt your ignorance and out and out misinformation. BTW, get over it and get a thicker skin baby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies