Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 06:21 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,927,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
The dogs do not stop once they engage. this is hard provable science.
It is not provable to each and every Pit. You are wrong and can't stand that there are actually some of us that know more about the breed than you do.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:08 AM

36,539 posts, read 30,891,756 times
I cringe everytime I hear that statement. People. Pits jaws dont LOCK. No dogs jaw is designed to LOCK. Do a little reading on canine anatomy!

Old 04-27-2009, 08:58 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,927,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I cringe everytime I hear that statement. People. Pits jaws dont LOCK. No dogs jaw is designed to LOCK. Do a little reading on canine anatomy!
Most in here have no desire to know or hear or read the actual truth. They want to believe the myths andfables that the news media continues to pass as news and facts, when some of us know how untrue all of it is.

Old 04-27-2009, 11:48 AM

2,807 posts, read 7,588,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Most in here have no desire to know or hear or read the actual truth. They want to believe the myths andfables that the news media continues to pass as news and facts, when some of us know how untrue all of it is.
Yes, and one of these lovely ignorants has resorted to DMing me and personally attacking me for responding to his comment about how we should insert flashlights into our rectums in order to see what we are reading...xlabel, you are a truly disgusting individual. Calling my father gay, my boyfriend sexually dissatisfied and me an ugly wench is not going to change the fact that you are 100% wrong on the subject of this breed! That being said, I am done on this forum, there are just too many morons here spouting bulls*#t to have an intelligent discussion....

Old 04-27-2009, 11:56 AM

10,503 posts, read 15,571,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmycat View Post
Yes, and one of these lovely ignorants has resorted to DMing me and personally attacking me for responding to his comment about how we should insert flashlights into our rectums in order to see what we are reading...xlabel, you are a truly disgusting individual. Calling my father gay, my boyfriend sexually dissatisfied and me an ugly wench is not going to change the fact that you are 100% wrong on the subject of this breed! That being said, I am done on this forum, there are just too many morons here spouting bulls*#t to have an intelligent discussion....
Report him, immature little boys should not be allowed to play on this forum.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:02 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,777 times
Quote:
That's the problem with a lot of our society, and numerous other societies that exhibit scapegoating, as it were. The media only has to report what someone else in a position of supposed authority says, and that doesn't necessarily have to have any ground in truth. Cross this with people who have undergone the excruciating heartache of loss of loved ones, and the media gets a lot of vindictive, inflammatory characters to rile up viewers and increase ratings via our natural empathetic obsessions and the fear for our loved ones that those obsessions breed.

One glaring example of that is the reason that most Americans can't hear the end of a grudge in the Arabic nations over something a few Zionist leaders did in the wake of WWII. Yeah, that was really messed up, but the media in Arabic nations still glazes over the corruption of their allegedly infallible leaders in favor of scapegoating an "evil" nation that unfortunately does fit rather perfectly into mainstream interpretations of their prophecies. In that case, we, as American citizens, are the pitbulls. Many of us have no problem with the Palestinian cause, but we're still ample fodder for fanatics who got too much of their media's smoke blown (somewhere).

After all that led to 9/11, many Arabs became the pitbulls to us, and next thing we know, shameful cruelty was put against many people who we now find out were really innocent folks with the wrong travel itinerary at the wrong time. And will the media let the finger-pointing stop there? No, they're just going to move on to the individuals who made that atrocious mistake with the best intentions, just as soon as they get some names.

Pure and simple, just as a lot of people in America and Arab nations who are curious or passionate about that whole debacle need to pick up some history books, read newspapers from neutral countries, and turn off the TV, many people who are terrified for their childrens' safety (it's a good instinct, can't blame you for the initial vehemence) need to read up on the actual anatomical facts and behavioral training/maintenance needs of pitbulls.

The media has done nothing more than take expert testimonials out of context for the sake of creating a must-see story that will encourage follow-up viewership. That's all they do... and possible fallout or the ethics of providing a whole story aren't exactly major concerns; really, the fallout is more of a goal than a concern... it's tomorrow's scoop, after all. Even if they were concerned about unbiased honesty, if you had a limited time to present a story that's supposed to grab and keep attention, are you going to opt for the "oh, never mind, freak incident" interviews or the "god help us all/fight the bad guy" interviews?

Old 04-27-2009, 12:04 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,849,707 times
Quote:
Rep to that statement. I will still continue to speak out aginst any form of BSL. Many of my neighbors opinions on the breed have changed since getting to know my dog. There is hope and we have to try to end the ignorance of the breed even if it sometimes feels like it's falling on deaf ears. There are many that don't post but read through these threads and click the links we provide in order to learn about the topics being discussed. Those are the one that may take into consideration our posts and links. Hopefully we will continue to campaign for the right to experience one of the best breeds of dog.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:07 PM

31,767 posts, read 28,830,565 times
Phew! It had all the ingredients of yet another Palin thread...

Old 04-27-2009, 12:27 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,921,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I actually agree with part of your comment. They are enjoyed by 'thugs' because they do intimidate. Look at Cesar Milan's top dog, Daddy. He's a SCARY looking pit bull, yet he's docile and is used constantly to calm other dogs down. My pit bull is a whole 38 lbs, not much bigger than most smaller yippy dogs, and she's an absolute sweetheart. Could she freak out and bite someone? Sure. But me and my boyfriend run her every day, keep her mind occupied with puzzles and toys and keep her very well socialized with every type and size of dog so that probably won't happen. Would I keep her in a room alone with ANY type of child or someone who doesn't know anything about dogs? ABSOLUTELY NOT. I'm not stupid.

Yes, originally they were bred to bait bulls. Unfortunately street thugs have taken that 'need to please' and focused it in the wrong places to make some extra money. But, just as other animal traits can be bred in and out, most strains of pit bulls don't have those desires. The Gotti line, the Joker line, the blackjack line etc etc are pitbull lines that are directly bred for intimidation and in many cases, fighting. These are lines that should be eradicated and ultimately bred out, but there are plenty of lines that are docile, good lines and should be bred.

Working with horses (and dairy goats) my entire life has taught me that the personality of the animals being bred has as much to do with the conformation and should not be taken lightly. It's not the dogs fault that people overbred/inbred and do not treat them correctly.

Punish the deed, not the breed.
I'm not arguing that the dogs can't be sweet, can't be loyal and can't be a great pet for the right person. All true! My only point was that this dog was bread to instinctively not stop fighting once it decides to engage until either it is dead, or whatever it is attacking is dead. This is FACT! Now if you wish to own one and live with the LIABILITY of potentially being sued, or even criminally prosecuted should your dog attack, then by all means by my guest. If you own a pit and it attacks me, or my child, I won't come looking for your damn dog, I'm comin for you! Get my point? You know what they are capable of and if you own one and act irresponsible AS MOST OF THOSE WHO OWN THESE DOGS ARE, then you will pay the price once the dog acts out.

I once watched a pit attack a German sheppard. The German sheppard's owner was beating the pit over the head with a shovel and the pit would not stop. The pit died with the German sheppard's neck in it's mouth. Both dogs were dead. I was about 16 years old and saw the entire event. I have also watched pits go after other neighborhood dogs and engage them. They do not nip and run as most dogs do, they killed the other dogs, failing to stop at all costs.

They are dangerous dogs, responsible people should be allowed to own them, but others should not.

My 02 cents.

Old 04-27-2009, 12:38 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
It is proven in study after study that pits were and are bread to fight. That is why low life street scum, thugs, gangsters enjoy them. This because they think they intimidate people when they walk around with their big bad pit, because most are to much of a puss to fend for themselves.
LOL! I actually carry concealed 'cause I'm "too much of a puss to fend for (myself)", and I like the idea of returning fire if some jerk chooses to assault me, shoot at me, (or sick a dog on me). I live in an apartment and work too much to have time for lots of play and exercise, so I have the responsibility, wherewithal, and consideration to own a cat.

And another LOL... You're right in that such a culture is out there, though. And they tend to be imbeciles who lack the aforementioned responsibility, wherewithal, and consideration. To own a dog for one's own vanity is about the most inconsiderate thing anyone could do to a dog. Like a child, a dog is a companion, not an image or a toy.

Nonetheless, that image imposed by wannabes does not mean that the dog was bred to fight. The dog was bred for its tenaciously competitive tendencies coupled with the fact that it is very muscular. Really, and I think someone already mentioned some of this, it is due to that tenacity that they're bred to protect, work, and play with masters who enjoy a good, scraped up roll in the dirt. My sister and a close friend of mine both own pitbulls, and I'd describe both of them as "goofy" before I'd describe them as a "monster". Their hyperactivity and tenacity do require a firm alpha master with plenty of energy to help them work off their energy, but I've never had an experience where the dogs were unwilling to stop fighting. My sister even owns an English bulldog, and with the pit it can have some very out-of-hand fights over toys, beds, and food, but the instant someone yells and confidently approaches, it's over and they turn into a couple of simps.

Altogether, the culture that flaunts a pit bull in order to be "hard" or "bada**" is just as misinformed and over-sensationalized as the culture that wants all pitbulls erradicated. The former just has no nobility in its misdirected intentions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies