Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2009, 06:24 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,927,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaCowboy View Post
The primary difference between the breed of pitbull versus all other dogs is simple. Once a pitbull decides to engage in a fight, or aggressive behavior, it will not stop unti the person, or dog it attacking is dead, or it is dead. It will not stop. Most other dog will bite and flee, or stop upon command. Not a pit. Once they turn on that switch and cross that line, they don't go back. They are a very dangerous animal.

Now that you posted nothing but hype and myth, would you like to educate yourself about dogs, Pits in particular? Sheeesh! It amazes me how many think they know about dogs because they heard something on the news or some idiot show, when in fact they know nothing at all.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:25 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,927,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
Very true, & let me tell you, when I worked at a vet clinic there were some nasty ass cats there for sure! My cat on the other hand, she is the epitome of a scaredy cat, love her to death though & I have to laugh at her cowardly temperment.
Ever been attacked by a goose. They are nuts sometimes.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:27 PM

214 posts, read 961,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
Now that you posted nothing but hype and myth, would you like to educate yourself about dogs, Pits in particular? Sheeesh! It amazes me how many think they know about dogs because they heard something on the news or some idiot show, when in fact they know nothing at all.

Agreed

Old 04-26-2009, 06:34 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,921,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elyse Margardino View Post
Agreed
Agreed to what, being an idiot and countering a post with no evidence or rebuttal? Here is a hint, if you are going to object to another poster's position, have a point?

It is proven in study after study that pits were and are bread to fight. That is why low life street scum, thugs, gangsters enjoy them. This because they think they intimidate people when they walk around with their big bad pit, because most are to much of a puss to fend for themselves.

The dogs do not stop once they engage. this is hard provable science.

Now if one of you care to dispute this, do so. But you can't! It is in their genes, they can't help it, they were bred that way.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:36 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,849,707 times
Quote:
Agreed to what, being an idiot and countering a post with no evidence or rebuttal? Here is a hint, if you are going to object to another poster's position, have a point?

It is proven in study after study that pits were and are bread to fight. That is why low life street scum, thugs, gangsters enjoy them. This because they think they intimidate people when they walk around with their big bad pit, because most are to much of a puss to fend for themselves.

Now if one of you care to dispute this, do so. But you can't! It is in their genes, they can't help it, they were bred that way.
The good, the bad, and the ugly, right here.
Official Pit Bull Site of Diane Jessup

Old 04-26-2009, 07:38 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,571,018 times
Quote:

Well I just may be an idiot that does have a post to give evidence. You may want to see my post...well I can't remember what number it is, anyway I used to work at a vet & I said that all the dogs that came in, rotts, shephards, pits, dobermans, they were all very sweet. I worked there for 2 years. The smaller dogs were fine too, but it was usually the smaller dogs that were nippy. I do NOT advocate the destruction of any animal simply because they bit or attacked someone once. I had a hard enough time having to bring in "big bite" dogs at the Humane Society to be euthanized who for sure did not deserve it, I know because I cleaned their kennels & fed them. I'm not saying that there are some dogs that can't be aggressive...for sure they can, just like some people. However, the majority of these dogs are like this because they have been abused & neglected by their idiotic f**k hole owners who don't give a crap about them. Again, how would you like to be beat, malnourished, left outside, no interaction whatsoever? THESE are the cases that we usually see. How about that woman in Paris whose face was bit off by her Lab while she slept? That was unfortunate & surely a very unique case, yet you don't see the destruction of Labs do you? I find it very sad that people would call for the eradication of a dog species because of certain cases that USUALLY are because of how the owner directly treats or mistreats the dog.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:13 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:

I actually agree with part of your comment. They are enjoyed by 'thugs' because they do intimidate. Look at Cesar Milan's top dog, Daddy. He's a SCARY looking pit bull, yet he's docile and is used constantly to calm other dogs down. My pit bull is a whole 38 lbs, not much bigger than most smaller yippy dogs, and she's an absolute sweetheart. Could she freak out and bite someone? Sure. But me and my boyfriend run her every day, keep her mind occupied with puzzles and toys and keep her very well socialized with every type and size of dog so that probably won't happen. Would I keep her in a room alone with ANY type of child or someone who doesn't know anything about dogs? ABSOLUTELY NOT. I'm not stupid.

Yes, originally they were bred to bait bulls. Unfortunately street thugs have taken that 'need to please' and focused it in the wrong places to make some extra money. But, just as other animal traits can be bred in and out, most strains of pit bulls don't have those desires. The Gotti line, the Joker line, the blackjack line etc etc are pitbull lines that are directly bred for intimidation and in many cases, fighting. These are lines that should be eradicated and ultimately bred out, but there are plenty of lines that are docile, good lines and should be bred.

Working with horses (and dairy goats) my entire life has taught me that the personality of the animals being bred has as much to do with the conformation and should not be taken lightly. It's not the dogs fault that people overbred/inbred and do not treat them correctly.

Punish the deed, not the breed.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:13 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,588,192 times
The fact is, people who have a bias toward Pitts will not budge most of the time...they do not want to hear about, read about or research the opposite point of view because they do not want to find the good in the breed, they want to keep hating and fearing them for whatever reason, whether it is because a family member was attacked or because they have heard too many stories on the news. They will continue to blame the dogs even though they have been put through hell and terrorized, and will refuse to admit that the owner is at fault when tragedy strikes. Remember the story about the infant of a police couple who was killed by their seemingly docile family Chow? The mother left the infant alone with the dog to use the bathroom...when she came back, the Chow had the baby in its mouth, and it was already too late. This could have and should have been avoided, that woman should have never left the baby alone with that dog...it is not unusual for a dog to get jealous around a new baby, (or new animal), and though the dog had apparently never displayed signs of aggression prior to the incident, it happened. If the parents had been careful about integrating them slowly and still giving the dog lots of love and attention, the dog may have grown to love and feel protective of the baby, but trusting any animal with an new family addition is incredibly dangerous and stupid, and as much as I feel sorry for the mother in this case, she is the one at fault. Screening owners who want to adopt large dogs and making it a requirement for them to be educated about the breed and to have it trained would help a lot in avoiding potential gutwrenching things like this...many people have the best of intentions, but do not know how to properly care for/train their pets or understand the importance of keeping an eye out for potential issues. If routine and positive reinforcement methods are employed and the owners are dedicated and attentive, most will be able to establish themselves as alpha and correct issues before they become habits, no matter which breed we are talking about.

Old 04-26-2009, 10:36 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,633,377 times
Pit bulls are great dogs and make EXCELLENT family pets.

I wouldn't mind seeing the thugs who mistreat them euthanized, and while we are at it maybe we can euthanize the idiots who want to exterminate an entire breed including tens of thousands of well behaved family dogs. People who would support such craziness are not mentally stable and should at the very least be locked away.

Old 04-26-2009, 11:04 PM

7,359 posts, read 10,281,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Pit bulls are great dogs and make EXCELLENT family pets.

I wouldn't mind seeing the thugs who mistreat them euthanized, and while we are at it maybe we can euthanize the idiots who want to exterminate an entire breed including tens of thousands of well behaved family dogs. People who would support such craziness are not mentally stable and should at the very least be locked away.
Makes me angry, too. Did you see the video I posted earlier? Breaks my heart.

the pit bull problem (what is man without the beasts?) - flash
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies