Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2009, 05:14 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,849,707 times

Advertisements

maybe we sohould outlaw conservatives with guns since they seem to going out on shooting sprees lately.

Maybe we should rethink the second ammendment Momonkey( I support the second ammendment) but I wonder if "more" children and people are killed by pitbulls or gunshot wounds??

Old 04-26-2009, 05:38 PM

214 posts, read 961,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Read the OP. Goldfish don't kill children.

Adults kill children. Should we ban ourselves?

Old 04-26-2009, 05:39 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
I love when pit bull lovers mention this fact. As if being Petey on a tv show from from the 1930's makes pit bulls a good family dog. Petey was a trained dog actor. Just as Moose acted on the Frasier show and was all adorable, and Jack Russell terriers don't make the best family pets. And Lassie was only a part acted out by a trained dog. Do I need to go on? And btw the way, the chimp actor on the Tarzan tv show was also adorable on screen but hated the actress playing Jane off screen.

In addition, the pit bull that Petey was, can't be considered a good example of a pit bull bred today. There's just too many generations between that dog and what's around now. He's a dog that was alive about 70 years ago! All dog breeds evolve and change over the years. The Victorian era pug dog is very different looking from the pugs of today. The breed standards are not the same.

And also, I don't believe that it's only abused pit bulls that turn "bad". Pit bull breeds need a strong alpha human to be their pack leader. One obediance class isn't enough, Their owners have to maintain and reaffirm their alphaness consistently all their lives. So a pit bull that is coddled by his nice owners is also likely to be a problem too. And letting the human kids sleep with a pit indicates to the dog that he is equal in rank to the kids. And if he gets to sleep with the kids, be on the couch and also allowed on the adult beds, any dog will think themselves a "people" and their peer. Those dogs are just too strong physically to allow them to feel the equal of humans.
Once again bad owners.... If you are going to have a dog such as a Pitt or Rotty, German shepherd, Doby etc you need to be the alpha, You need to be the master.
I never said otherwise. Please lecture someone who has.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:54 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,927,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
A dog like that needs to be put to sleep.
CAlifornia needs to be put out of its misery too since we can see what their education has given us.

Old 04-26-2009, 05:58 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,571,018 times
I haven't read this whole thread yet, but I'd like to mention that I used to work at a vet office. We had dobermans, pit bulls, german shephards come in, those big dogs were all fine. In my experience, it is the littler dogs that are snippy. It is also the owners that are responsible for the dogs temperment. Many people in inner cities get those pit bulls & treat them like less than dirt to toughen them up for dog fights. It's sad & those dogs do not deserve the bad rep they get. I also worked at the Humane Society for only 2 weeks quite a few years ago, it was heartbreaking the amount of dogs they put down simply because they were in the "Big Bite" area, meaning they bit someone once. Once is all it takes to declare their death. Now, I don't believe the Humane Society does that nowadays thankfully, but I know what I witnessed.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:04 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,224,262 times
Control freaks have no place in a civilized society.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
I'm going to comment before reading the posts, only so I'm not influenced by opinions.

I love dogs, and I do believe the owners of pit bulls have a big influence on their behavior. However, the type of owners they often attract are irresponsible and pose a threat to other people and animals.

Right now this is very personal to me, because of a rude neighbor. The couple got 2 pit bull puppies about 6 months ago and have always kept them outside. At first they were very cute and often came over to play. Some neighbors called Animal Control because they were running into the street. I complained because they didn't have proper shelter. Often there was no water nearby. I was concerned in Dec when the temp dropped below freezing and the puppies cried at night, so I continued to complain. I guess Animal Control made them buy dog houses. Recently the same people got a 3rd pit bull, but he's not a puppy. Now all 3 are big and loud and they bark constantly, since they're tied up in the yard 24/7. I am desperately trying to move out of here, because I can't get any sleep. I've written several posts about this situation on city-data.

Last week one of the dogs broke his chain and lunged at a neighbor as she was walking buy. She screamed and another neighbor chased away the dog. She called Animal Control. The next day the same dog chased a neighbor who was walking her 2 small dogs. She called Animal Control. I've seen the county van in front of their house at least 4 times over the past few months, but the dogs are still there.

So I guess when someone gets mauled is the time to take action?
I remember your thread about this. This is a classic case of parental abuse & neglect towards the dogs. I feel so sorry for those dogs, it is not their fault that they have started to turn hostile. Can you imagine how you would turn out if your were banned to the outdoors, chained up w/barely any food or water & absolutely NO human attention or interaction? It's no wonder that dogs in these situations turn out the way they do. Sometimes I wish I worked for the ASPCA so I could kick some serious ass w/these hateful owners, but I'd probably end up in jail.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:12 PM

1,788 posts, read 3,921,731 times
The primary difference between the breed of pitbull versus all other dogs is simple. Once a pitbull decides to engage in a fight, or aggressive behavior, it will not stop unti the person, or dog it attacking is dead, or it is dead. It will not stop. Most other dog will bite and flee, or stop upon command. Not a pit. Once they turn on that switch and cross that line, they don't go back. They are a very dangerous animal.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belinda_Cooperstone1 View Post

It does not matter what bred the dog is, attacks happen some accidentally, some out of fear and some because they were raised by an idiot who should not have a dog in the first place, and does not know better.

I think people just love to find something to ****** about and this is one of them. Yes there are bad dogs, there are bad people too, there are bad cats for crying out loud. I know I saw one attack a 10yr old girl when all she did was walk in its path.
Very true, & let me tell you, when I worked at a vet clinic there were some nasty ass cats there for sure! My cat on the other hand, she is the epitome of a scaredy cat, love her to death though & I have to laugh at her cowardly temperment.

Old 04-26-2009, 06:22 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,849,707 times
Look I'm a proud pibull owner/lover/supporter. I think that the problem with pitbulls is they are bred for work and not show. Even the show lines ( Amstaffs, Staffie Bulls) conformation doesn't allow their working abilities to be greatly diminished. The truth is that the problem with pitbulls is unscrupulous breeders and owners, as well as ignorance about a working dog. Pitbulls are loving family dogs but have a need to be worked/excercised. Pitbulls need to be properly socialized and trained just as any other working breed. I won't paint a complete rosy picture as no breed is without its faults. For those that want to learn more about the breed good and bad here is what I consider to be one of the ultimate authorities on pitbulls, especially what most think are the most dangerous(game pitbulls) even though they are the most stable.
Official Pit Bull Site of Diane Jessup
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies