Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 12:48 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,849,707 times

Advertisements

Questions form those that want to ban pitbulls.
1) What is a pitbull? Is it an APBT that you want banned, or is it any dog that has similar features?
2) Do you think that the problem( viscious attacks) will go away?
3) Do you think that hose street thugs will give up using dogs to compensate, or will they move on to a different breed?
4)Pitbulls are bred to love people, how much worse will it be if these street thugs switch to a breed that is wary of strangers(guardian breeds american bulldogs, cane corsos, dobes and rotweillers as examples)?

Old 04-27-2009, 12:59 PM

2,521 posts, read 2,351,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Speaking of...

Here's the numbers again.

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Atta...%20Clifton.pdf (http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf - broken link)
I don't think there's any way you can argue with those numbers.

Some breeds are inherently more dangerous than others, and there's no denying that Pit Bulls are significantly more dangerous than any other kind of dog. If you look at those numbers, Pit Bulls account for almost 40% of the deaths, and if you add in the Rottweilers, it's up around 60% of all deaths from dog attacks. Pit Bulls also account for over 50% of all attacks.

Maybe it's time we make people get licenses for owning such dangerous dogs. I don't believe in banning them outright, because there are good Rotts & Pits out there, but most owners of those dogs do not raise them properly and it leads to a lot of problems.

My girlfriend's little brother was attacked by a Pit when he was a baby 16 years ago and still carries a massive scar on his face to this day.

The proof that Pit Bulls are simply not as good as other breeds is pretty clear. I see just as many Pugs, Golden Retrievers, Pomeranians, Bulldogs, Boxers and Mastiffs, and they are nowhere near as dangerous as a Pit Bull. People should not be allowed to own a Pit or a Rott unless they've proven themselves to be good handlers of large dogs already.

Pits are cute and fun puppies, but they are vicious killing machines as adult dogs, and it's about time we take responsibility and at least tried to control the insanely large pit population. Too many people buy Pit Bulls as status symbols to seem tougher...and then allow their dogs to be their master and it's very dangerous.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Questions form those that want to ban pitbulls.
1) What is a pitbull? Is it an APBT that you want banned, or is it any dog that has similar features?
2) Do you think that the problem( viscious attacks) will go away?
3) Do you think that hose street thugs will give up using dogs to compensate, or will they move on to a different breed?
4)Pitbulls are bred to love people, how much worse will it be if these street thugs switch to a breed that is wary of strangers(guardian breeds american bulldogs, cane corsos, dobes and rotweillers as examples)?
Based on the numbers, anything other than a Rottweiler will be significantly safer to society. Dobermans are incredibly safe considering how dangerous they can look. I'd much rather see thugs walking a happy English Bulldog down the street than some blood-thirsty Pit looking to take a chomp out of my Pug.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
Based on the numbers, anything other than a Rottweiler will be significantly safer to society. Dobermans are incredibly safe considering how dangerous they can look. I'd much rather see thugs walking a happy English Bulldog down the street than some blood-thirsty Pit looking to take a chomp out of my Pug.
Lets start with my first question. What do you consider a pitbull?

Old 04-27-2009, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Lets start with my first question. What do you consider a pitbull?
A dog that is classified as a pit bull. Based on that list, I would assume most were full-pit bulls or close enough to full that they weren't called "Pit Bull Mix". Seems pretty simple to me.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:42 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:

My moms 4 pugs beat up my pit bull all the time... blood thirsty?? sheesh. You do realize that you could train an english bulldog to fight, right? Hell, I've been attacked by a yorkie that left a nice size scar on my calf.

A thug is a thug and will try whatever they can to make themselves look tough, unfortunately at the detriment of one of my favorite breeds. I'm no thug... in fact I'm a college educated professional that as of next week will own two pit bulls. Hate on the breed if you want, just don't try and forcibly take my dogs away from me by enacting legislation against them.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:43 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
A dog that is classified as a pit bull. Based on that list, I would assume most were full-pit bulls or close enough to full that they weren't called "Pit Bull Mix". Seems pretty simple to me.

My moms friend has a lab/mastiff cross (mom was purebred lab, dad was purebred mastiff) and it was catagorized as a pit bull with absolutely ZERO pit bull blood in it.... people are mistaken all the time.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Pit Bull is a term commonly used to describe several breeds of dog in the Molosser family. The breeds most often placed in this category are the American Pit Bull Terrier, American Staffordshire Terrier, and Staffordshire Bull Terrier.
In the media the term is vague and may include other breeds with similar physical characteristics, such as the Perro de Presa Canario, Cane Corso, Dogo Argentino, Alano Espanol, Japanese Tosa, Dogue de Bordeaux, Cordoba Fighting Dog, Alapaha Blue Blood Bulldog, American Bulldog, Boxer, Valley Bulldog, Olde English Bulldogge, Renascence Bulldogge, and Banter Bulldogge. These breeds are rarely listed by name in breed-specific legislation, but they are sometimes included when the term is defined broadly and based on physical appearance.[1]
Do you think the numbers may be just a bit skewed when atleast this number of breeds are lumped in as pitbulls?Many of the bites reported as pit bull weren't even from pitbulls.There is a lot of mistake in identity..
Punish the Deed, not the Breed!
Pit Bull - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-27-2009, 01:47 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,517,243 times
What car is involved in the most wrecks? Should we get rid of those?
What kind of people commit the most crimes? Should we get rid of them?
What kind of plane is involved in the most crashes? Should we get rid of them?
And on and on and on and on it goes.

Old 04-27-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
My moms friend has a lab/mastiff cross (mom was purebred lab, dad was purebred mastiff) and it was catagorized as a pit bull with absolutely ZERO pit bull blood in it.... people are mistaken all the time.
That was the point of my first question.I remember a few years ago there was a person mauled by a pitbull (to death)..It turned out the dog was a black lab.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies