Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-27-2009, 05:41 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,849,707 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
I believe that terriers are dangerous around children and small animals and that's why I didn't get one. I do believe that all dogs should be more regulated, because there are far too many irresponsible owners out there. Especially with Pet Stores in shopping malls that just beg for impulse buys of cute puppies. But on breeds like the APBT, Newfoundland, Rottweiler, Doberman, Husky and other stronger and fiercer dogs, it's more important because they can do serious damage to a human adult, while a Jack Russell can only do minor damage to an adult.

I don't think anything should be outright illegal to own as a pet if you display enough knowledge and understanding about the animal, even bears and tigers...but it's a public safety issue for a family to have a Pit Bull out at a park who escapes their grip and runs at a child playing with a ball. That's why only responsible owners should be allowed to have such a dangerous pet.
A Jack Russel can kill an infant or small child if it got loose in the park...

Anyway I will never support any type of BSL. If you want to talk about legislating all dog breeding then fine. I disagree with all of it but you can then make a case that doesn't alienate a wonderful breed and family dog.
All large dogs have the ability to kill people and it's unfair to single out the pitbulls (especially when experts overwhelmingly agree the pitbull is no more dangerous than other large breeds.

Last edited by lamexican; 04-27-2009 at 06:02 PM..

Old 04-27-2009, 06:07 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,927,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
A Jack Russel can kill an infant or small child if it got loose in the park...

Anyway I will never support any type of BSL. If you want to talk about legislating all dog breeding then fine. I disagree with all of it but you can then make a case that doesn't alienate a wonderful breed and family dog.
All large dogs have the ability to kill people and it's unfair to single out the pitbulls (especially when experts overwhelmingly agree the pitbull is no more dangerous than other large breeds.

I absolutely love Jack Russels. They are great dogs. But then, our whole family loves animals and knows and respects them.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:17 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,463,833 times
Speaking of dog attacks - does anyone have statistical figures? Such as how many registered attacks by dogs considered friendly like Golden Retrievers, Labradors, poodles, etc. One might be surprised.
But people are afraid of Pit Bulls, Dobermans, etc. because the damage they inflict if they attack. However, I am confident that there are more Labradors attacks and bites then Dobermans'.

Old 04-27-2009, 06:42 PM

2,807 posts, read 7,588,192 times
2 of my dogs are mixed Jack Russell/chihuahuas, and they are the funniest little dogs on 4 legs...! They tend to be aggressive, but this behavior can be curbed with the right methods, just as any dog (including pits) can be trained out of undesirable behavior. It is all about the owner. Yes, pits are strong and capable of doing damage under certain conditions...but they are easier to train than many small, stubborn breeds due to their inherant desire to please the humans in their lives. If said humans make it clear that they want them to attack people and other living creatures, that is what they will be apt to do. Another issue is whether or not the dogs have been spayed/neutered. In-tact animals in general are more prone to aggressive/destructive/territorial behavior. Before my male kitten was neutered, he was spraying like a madman anywhere he smelled dog (on their bedding and in the hallway where they like to run back and forth) and going after human feet every chance he got. Right now, he is sitting contentedly in the kitchen window looking at the birds and napping intermittently. All the statistics being presented for the anti-pit side of this argument fail to take important factors into consideration: 1. Whether the dogs in question are actually pits in the first place 2. The conditions/quality of life they are living in 3. The owner/s and whether or not they have trained the dogs to attack 4. Whether the dog is fixed or not. Because so many thugged-out tough-guy sickos are buying them for sinister purposes, you really can not deny the importance of figuring these things into the calculations, and I would bet good money that the numbers would go down drastically if the people conducting the studies were to take them into account. Alas, it is better ratings and thus better for the media to use fear tactics to keep people talking about it and feeding into it, it is the same as the war on terror and the war on drugs in this sense...keep them scared so they are glued to their TVs and so they will be sheeple doing whatever we want them to do. This is why I stopped watching TV a long time ago except for an occasional laugh...I refuse to be programmed.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:07 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftydan6 View Post
You don't respond to anything I say, you just whine and complain that I'm posting "Lies" when I'm using the AKC's own information on the breed of APBT to support my argument. Any dog where the AKC says "training is a must, one must show dominance over the dog, can be prone to aggression" is a dangerous dog. Seriously, I'm not exactly saying that Pit Bulls caused our financial crisis...I'm just saying that it's a public safety issue to allow dangerous dogs to go completely unchecked and be placed into the hands of dangerous people. Would you let a Child molester live next door to a school? Of course not, because it's asking for trouble. It's just like allowing a violent ex-convict to own a pit bull, it's asking for trouble.

Where did you get the AKC information? The APBT is not recognized by the AKC as a registerable breed...

I looked on the AKC website and there is no breed information on the APBT. Maybe I'm missing something, though.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
I absolutely love Jack Russels. They are great dogs. But then, our whole family loves animals and knows and respects them.
I love Jack Russels they are great dogs. I happen to be an animal lover with a special place for strong breeds like many of the terrier and working breeds. Animals are so honest that makes me admire them. I started with bulldogs and have now read extensively on many dog breeds. I also really like fox terriers.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Where did you get the AKC information? The APBT is not recognized by the AKC as a registerable breed...

I looked on the AKC website and there is no breed information on the APBT. Maybe I'm missing something, though.
I think he was looking at either of the Staff breeds as many lump them in as the same.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:15 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,638,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
I think he was looking at either of the Staff breeds as many lump them in as the same.

That's kind of what I was figuring, but I looked up AmStaff and it didn't say that they are 'prone to aggression'..... Maybe he was thinking UKC?

Old 04-27-2009, 07:21 PM

4,116 posts, read 3,147,815 times
Dogs do what they are trained to do. They are not BORN VICIOUS ANIMALS!!!!!!!! Just like we are not born to be addicts or murderers. They are as innocent as babies are and are shown and trained to be what they become.

If you treat a dog with RESPECT, LOVE AND ATTENTION he/she will show you the same if you ABUSE, YELL AT AND HIT YOUR DOG he/she will hate you and not TRUST YOU!!!!! that's what makes them turn on you and possibly your babies.

Old 04-27-2009, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
That's kind of what I was figuring, but I looked up AmStaff and it didn't say that they are 'prone to aggression'..... Maybe he was thinking UKC?
Not sure, but here is from the UKC.
Quote:
The essential characteristics of the American Pit Bull Terrier are strength, confidence, and zest for life. This breed is eager to please and brimming over with enthusiasm. APBTs make excellent family companions and have always been noted for their love of children. Because most APBTs exhibit some level of dog aggression and because of its powerful physique, the APBT requires an owner who will carefully socialize and obedience train the dog. The breed’s natural agility makes it one of the most capable canine climbers so good fencing is a must for this breed. The APBT is not the best choice for a guard dog since they are extremely friendly, even with strangers. Aggressive behavior toward humans is uncharacteristic of the breed and highly undesirable. This breed does very well in performance events because of its high level of intelligence and its willingness to work.
United Kennel Club: American Pit Bull Terrier (Revised November 1, 2008) (http://www.ukcdogs.com/WebSite.nsf/Breeds/AmericanPitBullTerrierRevisedNovember12008 - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies