Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-21-2009, 08:41 AM

50,391 posts, read 47,131,977 times

Advertisements

My question for Pit owners is, what is the obsession? Why must you own a dangerous dog? Is it the 'tough guy' compensation?

We did a paper in College based on dog breeds and what they can do and the only thing a Pit did better than some other less dangerous breed was when it was used to hunt hogs.

That's not much of a reason to own a dangerous breed? In most cases people interviewed said why they chose a Pit was: Because they can.

Old 06-21-2009, 10:19 AM

751 posts, read 2,482,527 times
All dogs are dangerous. And if you look at the list of banned breeds that was posted you would see that almost every large breed dog has been banned. So in the future, people will only be able to have those useless ankle biters that can be carried around in your purse. And those dogs actually bite the most.

The people I know that have pits have them for different reasons. Some fostered and decided to keep, some go to pounds and get them because they know they will be euthanized, the ones I know who got theirs from a reputable breeder got them because they are good with kids and extremely inteligent. And I also know several people "thug wanna be types" who got them because they know people are afraid of them. I also know of people getting them just so they can breed them and make money.

As a side note, I have a boxer. I have always wanted one, because I think they are the best looking dog breed that exists. Also, I know they are overgrown lapdogs who love everyone they meet, especially children, but strangers are afraid of them because they look very intimidating. So I have my family pet and guard dog, just like those non-thugs who own pits. In addition, my dog does not bark at everything that moves like a small dog does. My dog doesn't even bark at all the little dogs that bark at her. But she does bark at and attack my sweeper! LOL

Last edited by 1phwalls; 06-21-2009 at 10:23 AM.. Reason: add

Old 06-21-2009, 12:47 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,649,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
My question for Pit owners is, what is the obsession? Why must you own a dangerous dog? Is it the 'tough guy' compensation?

We did a paper in College based on dog breeds and what they can do and the only thing a Pit did better than some other less dangerous breed was when it was used to hunt hogs.

That's not much of a reason to own a dangerous breed? In most cases people interviewed said why they chose a Pit was: Because they can.

I chose my pit bull because she was emaciated, had a bad skin infection and was first on the list to be euthenized at the county shelter. I didn't care what breed, what size or what gender she was, I chose her because I liked her personality enough to bring her into my life.

I haven't met a single person yet who owns a pit bull they bought from a 'breeder'.... all the pits I know were adopted because nobody else wanted them.

Oh, and if you think I got my little Lola because she was 'big and tough', she weighed 28 lbs at the time I adopted her. Now she's a healthy 42 lbs and never happier. Pit bulls aren't supposed to be over 65 lbs per UKC breed standard (they aren't a recognized breed with the AKC).

If pits were so naturally vicious, why did nearly ALL of michael vicks dogs get adopted out?? I heard that a few are now training to be service dogs as well. These were actual fighting dogs, the ones IN THE RING and they were still adopted out to families.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:18 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,853,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
I chose my pit bull because she was emaciated, had a bad skin infection and was first on the list to be euthenized at the county shelter. I didn't care what breed, what size or what gender she was, I chose her because I liked her personality enough to bring her into my life.

I haven't met a single person yet who owns a pit bull they bought from a 'breeder'.... all the pits I know were adopted because nobody else wanted them.

Oh, and if you think I got my little Lola because she was 'big and tough', she weighed 28 lbs at the time I adopted her. Now she's a healthy 42 lbs and never happier. Pit bulls aren't supposed to be over 65 lbs per UKC breed standard (they aren't a recognized breed with the AKC).

If pits were so naturally vicious, why did nearly ALL of michael vicks dogs get adopted out?? I heard that a few are now training to be service dogs as well. These were actual fighting dogs, the ones IN THE RING and they were still adopted out to families.
You got your Dog for ALL the right reasons.
Doesn't it make your blood boil when.......
a) You see people getting pittbulls for their name and fear factor.

b) The ignorant people who should know better, that blame the Dog because it is trained to be feroscious and treated badly by its owner

We get our Dogs from the Shelter. I could never buy a dog from a money grabbing breeder when there are so many great dogs needing a home.

Old 06-21-2009, 04:24 PM

4,574 posts, read 7,506,469 times
I said it once, and I'll say it again. It's not the dogs fault for its aggressive behavior. It simply picked up the characteristics from it owner. In other words, it's the owners for the dog's behavior, because he/she is the one who owns and cares for it. A dog that is stereotyped as very lovable, such as a golden retriever, can be aggressive if the owner treats it bad. It's just like raising a child.

Old 06-21-2009, 08:35 PM
miu

17,770 posts, read 40,200,846 times
Here's just one news story about a woman killed by her two pure bred pit bulls that she raised from puppies as house pets.

Middleburg Woman Killed By Her Pit Bulls - Jacksonville News Story - WJXT Jacksonville (http://www.news4jax.com/news/14250768/detail.html#- - broken link)

Old 06-21-2009, 11:41 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,852,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
There is always this knee jerk reaction to Dog Attacks. In the UK a few years ago we had exactly the same thing. Dogs were being taken from homes just because they were pittbulls and then put down. We had a famous case of a woman who's pet pittbull was taken and condemned to death just because it was a pittbull. She publicly fought the Authorities. The Dog was finlly reprieved after months and months in a kennel away from its loving owner. Dogs that just resembled Pittbulls were being taken and destroyed. Owners were putting micro chips in Dogs that literally said this dog IS NOT a pittbull. This has now stopped but people often over react and in the end innocents suffer. These "Horror" stories have been with us since we first had animals as pets but the morons who train ANY dog to be viscous are the ones who should be severely punished NOT the Dog.
Exactly. I don't understand why people think that these thugs will just stop owning dogs and teaching them to be aggressive and dangerous. If you really think about it there are other breeds that are much larger and more aggressive.
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
First of all I applaud Brittan for at least making an effort to protect its children even if they were not completely successful in eradicating these dangerous animals. Now the question for you is the same question I've been asking all along. What benefit is it to punish a dog or dog owner after a child has been mauled or killed? How does this undo what has taken place?
Same argument is applied to the second ammendment. You can't believe in the second amendment and support BSL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
Fortunately for the Labrador, they are not a breed that thugs, drug dealers, and scumbags find very exciting.

I'm telling ya, legislation is coming against the Pit Bull.
First off you are wrong in your assumption. The unsavory types were the ones that owned "labradors" and what was considered to be the most evil of breeds the Bloodhound. These dogs were taught to be mean and aggressive and were used as the same way that pitbulls are today. At one time in the 1900s the Collie (lassie) was the crazy dangerous dog and pitbulls (petey) were the ultimate family dog. The only thing that has changed is the ignorance has shifted from one breed to another. I doubt you will see any serious BSL as the backlash would be huge. I and most I know would work hard to remove anyone from office that support or supported any form of BSL and I'm sure most doglovers would do the same. This one issue would cause me to vote for a candidate that I normally would to remove that person from office. Heck If Obama supported BSL and Bush didn't I would vote for Bush even though I agree with Obama on everything else. I cannot support anyone that shows the level of ignorance it takes to support BSL. I'm not alone in that, there are millions that feel the way I do.

Quote:

I'm sorry but if you want to have a serious answer how about posting a serious question. I own pitbull, because she is the greatest dog. many of my neighbors minds have changed because of gettin to know my dog. She is not anymore dangerous than your neighbors large dog.

Last edited by lamexican; 06-22-2009 at 01:11 AM..

Old 06-21-2009, 11:52 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,852,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
Here's just one news story about a woman killed by her two pure bred pit bulls that she raised from puppies as house pets.

Middleburg Woman Killed By Her Pit Bulls - Jacksonville News Story - WJXT Jacksonville (http://www.news4jax.com/news/14250768/detail.html#- - broken link)
So what does that prove. Here is a story about a doberman mauling a child. Then one about a chow mauling a two week old. How many breeds are going to ban. It wont end with pits and as other have said it won't end until we are only aloud to own small dogs smaller than probaly 25 lbs. So much for herding dogs, guard dogs, retrievers, and any other dog that does more than look cute.
Dog mauls baby to death in Brooklyn -- Newsday.com (http://www.newsday.com/news/local/newyork/am-baby0104,0,4902519.story - broken link)
Breitbart.tv » Family Dog Mauls 2-Week-Old to Death in Arizona Home

Old 06-21-2009, 11:57 PM

3,645 posts, read 4,929,740 times
Quote:

Blah...blah...blah...same old questions that has no merit for even asking. I owned them and have one because I rescue them from shelters if you must know. I love animals and I have enough of a brain to know that MAN (human) is the most dangerous animal on this planet.

Old 06-22-2009, 12:56 AM

3,387 posts, read 6,632,832 times
I have my dog, cause I fostered his abused, emaciated, neglected, pregnant Mom.

We (myself and the rescue I worked with), found homes for Mom, and the other 6 puppies, he was the last one left, so we kept him.

He is like my version of "Daddy" (Cesar Milan), when we bring in new dogs to foster, he's the one that takes care of them, and helps them learn the ropes in our house, and lays with them if they need comfort.

That's why we have him. It's just a great bonus that he is a great cuddler, my kiddo's best buddy, an avid squirrel chaser, and is a plate cleaner after dinner, lol!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies