Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-23-2009, 01:29 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,848,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley_man View Post
HAHAHA that is so true!! People in big cities like New York and San Francisco get a dog like a pit bull that needs alot exercise and needs alot of mental stimulation and they keep it in an apartment all day. Then they wonder why the "family dog" attacked. It's astonishing how stupid some people can be when it comes to dog psychology!!!!!!!!!!!
Actually I live in NYC and own a pitbull (rescued). She gets plenty of excercise and find that more here understand that dogs need walks and excercise. I think that its those suburbanites that have backyards that don't walk their dogs as they think their yard is enough. We usually walk atleast an hour a day along with a couple of good games of fetch. When I ever neglected a walk and excercise I noticed an immediate change in personality and eventually learned that my dogs need it.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:38 AM

1,374 posts, read 1,305,473 times
Pit bulls are a tough talk!
Most people dislike pits and they are prone to attack
at any time. It is very sad for pit owners who do no
believe their own sweet pit could attack without
notice. They just snap and go in tunnel vision, but
this only happens in the 35% range.
People will always be afraid of pits regardless!

Old 06-23-2009, 11:49 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,632,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post

Wait....are you saying that 35% of pit bulls snap and attack?? If so, that is ridiculously untrue.

ANY DOG CAN ATTACK. That's what happens when you have predators as pets... regardless of the breed, everything from an Irish Wolfhound to a yippy little Chihuahua has the ability to bite and attack. If they are bred correctly and socialized/exercised often then there is less of a chance, but every single dog out there has that ability.

Old 06-23-2009, 12:39 PM

2 posts, read 2,803 times
i think that u should just give pit bulls a chance not all dogs are mean as some of your previous comments where made because i know i own a german shepherd mixed with pit bull she looks like a monster and sounds like one but all she likes to do is cuddle which isn't always good cause she is so big^_^ but she is cute none the less and knows that children are small and that she should be carefull around them. i know u might say that it's only a matter of time before she does attack but if and when she does i will be prepared for that and will take responsibilty but so far she is the best who has been trained well so i do think it all rides on the owner and if u have small children and a pit bull or any big to medium sized dog u should know to never leave to two together because u know that something could happen then why leave those two alone? anyways i hope u can try to give pit bulls and anyother big breed dog a chance...

Old 06-23-2009, 02:45 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wellness View Post
tough talk in particular for the people that didn't do their homework before entering the conversation. come on–i know you don't want to, but some of the books out there even have pretty pictures and stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strawberry-doglover View Post
i think that u should just give pit bulls a chance not all dogs are mean as some of your previous comments where made because i know i own a german shepherd mixed with pit bull she looks like a monster and sounds like one but all she likes to do is cuddle which isn't always good cause she is so big^_^ but she is cute none the less and knows that children are small and that she should be carefull around them. i know u might say that it's only a matter of time before she does attack but if and when she does i will be prepared for that and will take responsibilty but so far she is the best who has been trained well so i do think it all rides on the owner and if u have small children and a pit bull or any big to medium sized dog u should know to never leave to two together because u know that something could happen then why leave those two alone? anyways i hope u can try to give pit bulls and anyother big breed dog a chance...
no dog should be left along with small children. not even wiener dogs and pugs.

larger children can arguably be left along with small dogs, but you shouldn't leave a kid alone with a larger dog at all, even if you think it is the nicest dog in the world.

it might have something to do with the fact that the dog is a predator, but what do i know?

Old 06-23-2009, 03:10 PM

459 posts, read 804,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Actually I live in NYC and own a pitbull (rescued). She gets plenty of excercise and find that more here understand that dogs need walks and excercise. I think that its those suburbanites that have backyards that don't walk their dogs as they think their yard is enough. We usually walk atleast an hour a day along with a couple of good games of fetch. When I ever neglected a walk and excercise I noticed an immediate change in personality and eventually learned that my dogs need it.

Good! your doing a good job!

Old 06-23-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
There are also many documented attacks by pit bulls that were NOT trained to be aggressive. They were family pets that turned on their owners and children. Pit bulls have a natural tendency to be dog aggressive. AND they have a strong terrier personality and they want to be the alpha of their pack. If their human handlers don't constantly maintain their alpha-ness over their pit bulls and pit bull mixes, that's another potential situation for aggressive behaviour. And they also can be provoked by staring children who are at the same eye level as they are. Also the act of running away from a dog like a pit bull will trigger them going into a predator mode.

Also unfixed and unspayed pit bulls and pit bull mixes are particularly prone to becoming aggressive with the right situation and triggers.

Tell me if i'm wrong but you have to own a lab. You sound like every lab owner I have ever met.

Old 06-23-2009, 07:45 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,461,717 times
A recent survey in Denver CO, found that:
"of the 2,060 bites, Labrador retrievers made up the biggest percentage on the bite list"

Dog-bite survey finds few canines that attack - The Denver Post

Lets get rid of the Labs..
(Not really, I love them)

Old 06-23-2009, 09:00 PM

4,906 posts, read 6,848,248 times
WHEN IS A LABRADOR RETRIEVER A 'PIT BULL'?
WHEN IS A LABRADOR RETRIEVER A 'PIT BULL'? - Vote NO to Breed Ban Legislation

Old 06-24-2009, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
HAHAHA that was a classic article!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies