Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2009, 09:55 PM

2,631 posts, read 5,456,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambintime View Post
Maybe we should take all the owners of savage pitts to a big arena blindfold them and then let all their dogs in with them. They would think twice about making their dogs viscous.
If there is no place in civilized society for pitts then there is definately no place in civilized society for these dumb asss owners
yep. i wonder how typical this mind(less)set is of the bsl crowd outside of internet forums, because it certainly makes up a large percentage of them here on cd.

Old 07-02-2009, 09:57 PM

221 posts, read 219,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Exactly.

Just love it when people blame the dogs rather than the people who made them that way. But that's Americans for you: A bunch of nasty, self-absorbed, animal-hating bullies. Always willing to let themselves off the hook for irresponsible behavior.
Maybe some inAmerica want to get dogs viscous so they have one more reason to go shoot something.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:08 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,266,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambintime View Post
Maybe some inAmerica want to get dogs viscous so they have one more reason to go shoot something.
'Cuse me?

Are you having a bad day or something?

Old 07-02-2009, 11:26 PM

1,629 posts, read 3,477,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
Exactly.

Just love it when people blame the dogs rather than the people who made them that way. But that's Americans for you: A bunch of nasty, self-absorbed, animal-hating bullies. Always willing to let themselves off the hook for irresponsible behavior. And not the brightest bunch, either: "I heard about. . .," "I saw on TV . . .," "I was there when it happened. . ." As though personal experience stands in for a general rule. The biggest bunch of willfully ignorant assh*ts on the planet. Doesn't matter what kind of statistics you present them with, what kind of professional assessment you present them with: They scared of the big bad dog cuz they know better than anybody else. No wonder this country is in the frigging toilet.
Yep yep

It also sickens me how many people treat dogs like commodities, rather than living beings.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:51 AM

221 posts, read 219,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
'Cuse me?

Are you having a bad day or something?
Getting Ghetto now Gday??????????????????????????????????

I can see these pitt owners who sit there cleaning their carbines with their "ferocious" pitt at their feet and thinking they are typical patriotic Americans.....Not. The gun loving, pitt baiting jerks who cannot realise we live in 2009 and not 1809.

Old 07-03-2009, 11:12 AM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,372 times
Note that, for both guns and pitbulls, responsible owners vastly out-number irresponsible owners. Stereotypes do exist for a reason, but they don't qualify as an argument (reference "logical fallacy"). For every sad article you read about what some idiot(s) did to some poor soul(s) who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time (i.e., coinciding with idiot[s]), there are dozens - if not hundreds - of people living responsibly on a daily basis to keep those same sad articles from covering them or those who coincide with them in place and time.

Old 07-03-2009, 04:03 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stingraynm View Post
Note that, for both guns and pitbulls, responsible owners vastly out-number irresponsible owners. Stereotypes do exist for a reason, but they don't qualify as an argument (reference "logical fallacy"). For every sad article you read about what some idiot(s) did to some poor soul(s) who just happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time (i.e., coinciding with idiot[s]), there are dozens - if not hundreds - of people living responsibly on a daily basis to keep those same sad articles from covering them or those who coincide with them in place and time.
I agree with you but the only problem is that without a check put on owners of guns and pitts, there is no way of stopping the morons who cause death and destruction with both guns and dogs everyday. It would be a ideal World if every gun and Dog owner acted responsibly but just like on the roads, where speed limits are put in place because there are TOO MANY IDIOTS with driving licences who just think the road is for them, some kind of restrictions are now going to have to be put into place. It is a sad fact that the many responsible gun or dog owners must now suffer because the idiots are rising in number. This is no longer the days of the settlers when you were a mile from your nearest neighbour or even more. We all live on top of each other and what one idiot does affects us all.Even people who live way out of town will suffer because of the morons who are now getting dogs and guns and should not be allowed them.
It's a pity but America can no longer afford the Deaths etc from the slack gun rules and the bad animal owners.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:24 PM

396 posts, read 1,035,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
I've had it with these glassy eyed lunatic Pit Bull owners who simply refuse to understand that their dogs are a danger to all children at all times. Their is no safe Pit Bull ever. How many more times will we need to hear of a baby, small child or senior citizen being ripped to shreads by these ignorant animals before we realize that they cannot be made safe? I propose we ban this most vicious of dog breeds nationwide.

Pit bull kills 7-year-old Minneapolis boy at home

Pit Bull Kills Child in Huntington - WBOY-TV - WBOY.com (http://wboy.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=2866 - broken link)

Pitbull KILLS 12month old in EastPointe MI - February 2009 Birth Club - BabyCenter

Pit bull kills child and injures grandmother | Independent, The (London) | Find Articles at BNET

12-Year-Old Boy Killed By Pit Bull - CBS News

http://www.dogbitelaw.com/Dog%20Attacks%201982%20to%202006%20Clifton.pdf (broken link)
I am one of the biggest animal lovers in the world, and I have to say that I feel bad saying this, but I do not feel that pit bulls should be anywhere near children. I don't care what kind of "person" this breed has been raised by, it just does not matter. I have heard stories where it was a family dog; a good sweet dog, and one day it just turned. I don't trust them, and I never want them around me or my child. I wish people would stop breeding them as much as they do, because I feel that there should not be pit bulls around for many reasons. One of those reasons is because of the wack jobs that choose to have them for the wrong reason, and end up subjecting them to cruelty.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:33 PM

351 posts, read 375,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old biddie View Post
I am one of the biggest animal lovers in the world, and I have to say that I feel bad saying this, but I do not feel that pit bulls should be anywhere near children. I don't care what kind of "person" this breed has been raised by, it just does not matter. I have heard stories where it was a family dog; a good sweet dog, and one day it just turned. I don't trust them, and I never want them around me or my child. I wish people would stop breeding them as much as they do, because I feel that there should not be pit bulls around for many reasons. One of those reasons is because of the wack jobs that choose to have them for the wrong reason, and end up subjecting them to cruelty.
There is not a dog in the world that should be left alone with very young children. Pittbulls are no different to any other dog. You never know if a tiny child might approach the dog and not knowingly move towards the dogs eyes playing but the dog reacts in fear of the action. Anyone who leaves a toddler with a dog should be shot.

Old 07-03-2009, 07:36 PM

1,067 posts, read 2,979,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
I agree with you but the only problem is that without a check put on owners of guns and pitts, there is no way of stopping the morons who cause death and destruction with both guns and dogs everyday. It would be a ideal World if every gun and Dog owner acted responsibly but just like on the roads, where speed limits are put in place because there are TOO MANY IDIOTS with driving licences who just think the road is for them, some kind of restrictions are now going to have to be put into place. It is a sad fact that the many responsible gun or dog owners must now suffer because the idiots are rising in number. This is no longer the days of the settlers when you were a mile from your nearest neighbour or even more. We all live on top of each other and what one idiot does affects us all.Even people who live way out of town will suffer because of the morons who are now getting dogs and guns and should not be allowed them.
It's a pity but America can no longer afford the Deaths etc from the slack gun rules and the bad animal owners.
Thanks. That type of appeal is a bit more up my alley when it comes to discussion. And you are right in the sense that prevention-oriented prohibition is a reasonable method in many instances where irresponsible behavior becomes too frequent. However, one of the problems with outright prohibiting anything that can be owned responsibly is that prohibition does nothing to quell availability and opportunity. In the end, the only thing that really gets quelled is personal liberty and personal responsibility. Irresponsible people are the problem, and as it were, whether or not a superficial law is put in place, irresponsible people will continue to break the law. Responsible people only lose the necessary leeway to compensate as is appropriate for different scenarios.

Take your example of speeding, for instance. Imagine a road where everyone is exceeding the speed limit (not hard to do if you've driven a Houston freeway). Further, imagine they're speeding because they have such callous disregard for the law that they won't even pull over for an officer. Say you're the one responsible driver on this road. In the spirit of responsibility, you decide that since everyone is insisting on speeding, you're safer just going 10 mph over the limit to better establish a flow with the wiley traffic. An officer begins chasing the whole lot of you, and consistent with your responsibility, you are the one car who pulls over. Should you get a ticket for adapting to circumstances that were otherwise out of your control and in complete disregard of social order?

Kind of a loose comparison, I'm well aware; but since you used speed limits as an example, I thought it would be an appropriate analogy to further. As I can tell by your apparent tone on the subject, you're well aware that the establishment of speed limits hasn't exactly done anything to prevent psychos from being psychos and jerks from being jerks. Mostly, it just creates a defined standard for why officers can pull us over. Bad people continue doing bad things in spite of the rules, and now reasonable people can be harassed merely for being the only ones with the combined rationale to adapt and moral integrity to obey laws.

Whether we make laws to control guns or breeds, bad people will continue to utilize the availability and opportunity (often more so, since there's dirty money to be made in prohibition) while good folks can't enjoy the liberty to be an even match for that b.s. if it threatens them.

Of course, that last note is more fitting to the gun control argument. Concerning pitbulls, I've known all sorts of breeds and met people with all sorts of preferences (I prefer border collies and australian shepherds myself; minimal training effort to have a good backpacking companion). Anyway, it's my belief that people who enjoy the redeemable qualities of bull terriers in general shouldn't have to settle for less merely because a few masters were less than responsible.

I'll take liberty and responsibility over safety and security any day.

Altogether, don't take this as absolute disagreement. I fully agree that we need to assess our laws and rights when it comes to things that apparently run amok. I'm a staunch proponent of ideological compromise. Of course, that's definitely to say I despise ideological extremes. I'd like to think that myself and many folks like me hold our love of liberty dear enough to shun ideological extremes that try to worm their way into policy, but that we equally hold the safety of our fellows dear enough to let reasonable regulatory measures have their chance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies