Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-23-2009, 11:40 AM

1,629 posts, read 3,478,465 times

Advertisements

Dear Haters,

If you don't even know what a pit bull IS, how can you ban it?

Visual vs. DNA Identification of Dogs

Old 07-23-2009, 11:42 AM

2,631 posts, read 5,458,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Difference between biting and killing. Pit bulls kill half the time they "bite".
you like making stats up on the spot? are we supposed to believe this just because you said it?

Quote:
I was bitten by an Afghan Hound once. If it were a pit bull, I may not have lived to tell the tale.
true. also, if it were an afghan hound, you may not have lived to tell the tale.

Quote:
After the bite, the young girl who was walking the dog pulled it away. Even a robust guy like myself would be along for the ride if I had a pit bull that attacked someone.
probably not. a pit bull weighs on average 35-55 lbs. i can lift that kind of dog with one arm.

now, if you are referring (which you probably are, because you never come into these discussions with anything close to actual facts; see the above made up statistics for proof) to the other "pit bulls," the 140-pound brutes, then you are not even arguing the same breed.

Quote:
If you read the stories, a lot of the people who are injured or killed are adults (often owners) who attempt to stop the attack.
well, you did better with this one, because you didn't actually give a number, but you are still making things up on the spot. feel free to back it up with some facts and then maybe you'll have a point.

Quote:
The hundreds of times a pit bull doesn't attack are meaningless once they actually do. Then it's too late.
that's not even remotely correct. that is like saying that the hundreds of times that a human doesn't attack are meaningless when another one does.

"oh, but humans aren't wild animals, stycotl!"

actually, that's pretty subjective, and when humans kill other humans thousands of times more per year than pit bulls and other dogs combined, then i'd say that my point is even more valid.

Old 07-23-2009, 11:46 AM

Pit bull blues:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtGT2apOlKw

Old 07-23-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stycotl View Post
that's not even remotely correct. that is like saying that the hundreds of times that a human doesn't attack are meaningless when another one does.

"oh, but humans aren't wild animals, stycotl!"

actually, that's pretty subjective, and when humans kill other humans thousands of times more per year than pit bulls and other dogs combined, then i'd say that my point is even more valid.
Indeed - more children are killed by their own parents, than by family pets.

At least a dog never does something without a reason - i.e., self-defense, or defense of its family.

I'm more afraid of people than any dog.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:41 PM

202 posts, read 583,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingForward View Post
OF COURSE I have compassion for the child.

But the topic of the thread is the pit bull as a breed. And the behavior of the dog in question is what I was responding to. Many dogs--of many breeds--exhibit food aggression, and it is up to the parents to ensure that their dog is properly trained and their child properly supervised when with the dog. In every case of a child being attacked by a "nice" dog, as far as I am aware, the attack happens because the dog is poorly bred and trained, the owners are not properly trained on dog behavior, and/or the child is not adequately supervised in the dog's presence.
This is exactly why when my two lab mixes were puppies I sat on the floor with my hands in their bowls playing with the food while they ate. I would also hand feed them at times. This helped them realize I was boss and also helped teach them that people being near their food was not a threat to them at all. My husband and friends would also help out with this so I was not the only one and they learned to trust people.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:43 PM

202 posts, read 583,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FormerCaliforniaGirl View Post
THIS is the reality of Pit Bulls.
No that is the reality of a dog with food aggression.

Old 07-23-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnPedi614 View Post
Yep. Poor training. It can happen with ANY dog.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:08 PM

225 posts, read 575,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnPedi614 View Post
Oh. My dog was bitten by an ancient beagle when the beagle's stupid owners brought a full breakfast into the dog park and my dog got a scent of the eggs and went running over.

There were several pit bulls in the park at the time and all continued playing without a care in the world.

Old 07-23-2009, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by livesintriangle View Post
Oh. My dog was bitten by an ancient beagle when the beagle's stupid owners brought a full breakfast into the dog park and my dog got a scent of the eggs and went running over.

There were several pit bulls in the park at the time and all continued playing without a care in the world.

The dog parks I've been to say NO FOOD INSIDE

Plus, how do these folks expect to be able to supervise their dog if they're sitting off to the side stuffing their faces?

I don't think there should be benches in dog parks at all.

Old 07-23-2009, 09:55 PM

"The kinds of dogs that kill people change over time, because the popularity of certain breeds changes over time. "

"The dogs that bite people are, in many cases, socially isolated because their owners are socially isolated, and they are vicious because they have owners who want a vicious dog. The junk-yard German shepherd—which looks as if it would rip your throat out—and the German-shepherd guide dog are the same breed. But they are not the same dog, because they have owners with different intentions."

~Malcolm Gladwell, for The New Yorker
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies