Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 05:44 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Yes...and as a conservative the same has happened to me.

It goes both ways.
True, and I was just looking at the title she used for this topic. I don't agree with it. I also don't like the other thread on this topic that's titled "Why are liberals so intolerant..." Both that thread and this one are biased from the get-go.

A better debate would probably be to simply ask, "What does 'tolerance' mean to you?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 05:46 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
True, and I was just looking at the title she used for this topic. I don't agree with it. I also don't like the other thread on this topic that says "Why are liberals so intolerant..."

A better debate would probably be to simply ask, "What does 'tolerance' mean?"
Very true. But that would likely lead to a debate over tolerance of race, sexual orientation, etc., rather than tolerance of political ideology.

I suppose you deserve one of your own thread titles that bashes conservatives - we already had ours.

Old 05-09-2009, 05:52 PM

I just believe in expanding individual and social freedoms as much as possible. People can have all of the opinions they want, but when they want to create laws that restrict freedoms, that's when it bothers me - and that applies to the left and the right.

I have a very strong libertarian streak in me when it comes to social issues.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:04 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,333,648 times
Quote:
Are you on a new medication? You suddenly sound so reasonable!
I have always been reasonable. I will never say that one political ideology is inherently better than another. I will always say that Christianity is better than any other religion, and I derive all my political beliefs from there. But since Christianity is inherently inclusive, I will always welcome people to talk with me, and join me. I don't judge people, but I will never condone things I disagree with, and since this is a political board we are supposed to disagree right?

For me it is about my Christian faith in the end, if I cannot justify a political belief by my faith I won't support it. I don't see how being principled can ever be considered irrational. In my opinion, choosing your political beliefs according to what makes you feel good is crazy - the right thing isn't always what's easiest or what makes you popular, or even feel good about yourself. But if you can live with yourself, and know that your beliefs are founded, you are a true winner, whether you happen to be a crazy Conservative, or loony Liberal.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:05 PM

1,515 posts, read 3,333,648 times
Quote:
I just believe in expanding individual and social freedoms as much as possible. People can have all of the opinions they want, but when they want to create laws that restrict freedoms, that's when it bothers me - and that applies to the left and the right.

I have a very strong libertarian streak in me when it comes to social issues.
So I assume that you are pro-gun?

I knew that we would agree on something, eventually!

Old 05-09-2009, 06:18 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,577,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
I have always been reasonable. I will never say that one political ideology is inherently better than another. I will always say that Christianity is better than any other religion, and I derive all my political beliefs from there. But since Christianity is inherently inclusive, I will always welcome people to talk with me, and join me. I don't judge people, but I will never condone things I disagree with, and since this is a political board we are supposed to disagree right?

For me it is about my Christian faith in the end, if I cannot justify a political belief by my faith I won't support it. I don't see how being principled can ever be considered irrational. In my opinion, choosing your political beliefs according to what makes you feel good is crazy - the right thing isn't always what's easiest or what makes you popular, or even feel good about yourself. But if you can live with yourself, and know that your beliefs are founded, you are a true winner, whether you happen to be a crazy Conservative, or loony Liberal.
You cannot prove religion though. It is all belief. I believe it is much better to vote based on logic and reasoning. That goes to the liberals by far. I dont see why anyone would base their political beliefs from a religion.

All religions are equal in my eyes. Makes me more tolerant than so many conservatives already.

All people are equal in my eyes-regardless of their race or sexual orientation. Makes me so much more tolerant than so many conservatives already.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:20 PM

18,131 posts, read 25,300,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
two way street. look at the way miss california has been treated.
I believe that is the media
the same people that haven't criticized 1 time Perez Hilton for being a leftwing biggot.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:26 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
You cannot prove religion though. It is all belief. I believe it is much better to vote based on logic and reasoning. That goes to the liberals by far. I dont see why anyone would base their political beliefs from a religion.

All religions are equal in my eyes. Makes me more tolerant than so many conservatives already.

All people are equal in my eyes-regardless of their race or sexual orientation. Makes me so much more tolerant than so many conservatives already.
No you can't prove religion and logic and reasoning are better methods to use for voting - I fully agree with that.

However, there is something you must realize. Our laws, since the beginning of this country, have been based on morality. Many people do in fact derive their standards of morality from various religious beliefs. Thus, citizens will vote for officials based on religion and legislators themselves will vote based on religion, albeit indirectly.

That's not something that's ever actually going to change I'm afraid to say.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canerican View Post
So I assume that you are pro-gun?

I knew that we would agree on something, eventually!
Well, I'm "pro-gun" to the extent that I think they should be legal to own. I don't have an interest in guns myself, though, so it's hard for me to get excited about them.

I do think it's a good idea to require background checks and licenses for gun ownership.

Old 05-09-2009, 06:32 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,577,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
No you can't prove religion and logic and reasoning are better methods to use for voting - I fully agree with that.

However, there is something you must realize. Our laws, since the beginning of this country, have been based on morality. Many people do in fact derive their standards of morality from various religious beliefs. Thus, citizens will vote for officials based on religion and legislators themselves will vote based on religion, albeit indirectly.

That's not something that's ever actually going to change I'm afraid to say.
Yeah like some people vote primarily on how they are against abortion. I am like "Ok...what is that going to go? Abortion is not going to go away no matter how pro life the president might be". Or they vote Republican because they hate gay people or something. Once again, I say "Gay people are not going to go anywhere just because you don't like them."

Yeah, it sucks that our laws are based of morality. The reason why I said that is because there is (once again) NO STANDARD of mortality. You might think abortion is immoral but I don't. You think gay marriage is immoral but I don't. You simply cannot reach an agreement with everyone on mortality so why not just use logic and reasoning? You know if we based our country of logic and reasoning and not some faith and morality BELIEFS (not proven), we would never be in this mess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies