Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2009, 08:52 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Many SC cases involve "writing laws from the bench," actually, but Roe v. Wade REALLY sticks out as one where that phrase is very much applicable.

As far as same-sex marriage, keep in mind you do have a Republican governor but he is a fairly liberal one. The same applies to Mitt Romney in his former status as governor of MA. Also, I'm not sure about CA or MA, but in TX even appellate judges are elected rather than appointed.
In California, judges can be recalled and they have been recalled in the past, but I believe they can only be subject to removal by ballot every 12 years.

I know Arnold is a fairly liberal Republican, but it was definitely Republicans who pushed to have Gray Davis recalled so they could replace him with a Republican governor. They got their wish.

Last edited by AnUnidentifiedMale; 05-09-2009 at 09:02 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 08:55 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Afo, what does criminal laws got to do with this?

I can see it happening. Some people are fanatics. They think the child is sooo important and women are nothing. I can see it happening. "I refuse to perform this surgery because I don't want to kill the child" all the while the woman dies or is dying.

I hope it does not get to this point but it might with the fanatic things I have seen. Not much you can do then. They got their way...even if it costs a womans life.
Personally, I think the child is important AND the woman is important. They are both equally as important; maybe not during the first trimester, but once the child has any cognitive awareness, the child is equal to the woman.

It should interest you to know that the heartbeat begins at about the 18th day and neurological responses begin at about the 12th week of pregnancy. The brain and the spine begin to develop at about the 6th week of pregnancy.

The reason I brought up criminal law was as an example of how state legislatures do not generally make terrible decisions - no state has legalized assault or rape, for example, so I doubt a state would legislatively require a woman to die for her child. Not to mention the fact that laws banning abortion if Roe v. Wade was overturned (and, it should also interest you to know that most states already have laws restricting abortion) would likely be criminal.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:55 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,577,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Personally, I take major offense at the comment above.
And I took major offense when you called me lazy and not raised right. As if you would know. As I said back then, you dont know me. You still don't know me. I have turned out better than a lot of people my age. Trust me. I told you then and I tell you now.

But I will say sorry to you despite how you have acted towards me in the past. I know your situation though. You were justified or else I would not have written you a message asking about your story regarding your wife. And I had not forgotten about what you said to me but yet, I still wanted to say I felt bad about your story. I think I was raised right-I reached out to someone and said I was sorry to hear about his wife even though he said I was not raised right.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:57 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
I know of several woman, who were ill, who needed medical treatment to save their lives - but because they were pregnant, and the medical treatment would have potentially harmed their unborn child, they refused the treatment.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
The OP stated so many things in a one-sided manner that the post was very inflammatory. This does not lend itself to healthy, respectful, discussion.
I agree, and I rationally pointed that out in the beginning of the discussion but then got a very nasty response from someone who supports the OP. Unfortunately, both his and my posts were removed.

I had said that anytime I hear someone say "conservatives (or liberals) always do x, y, and z", the rest of what they have to say becomes less credible to me.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:00 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,325,811 times
Why do conservatives always think liberals should be tolerant of their beliefs but are never tolerant themselves?
It's because the people who are the far out right have babies out of wedlock, do immoral injustices, and some, say what others are doing is wrong, while they're doing wrong themselves. They are the true hipocrites.

The finger pointers are guilty themselves of playing footsie with other men in bathrooms, while at the same time proclaiming they're not gay.

Most conservatives or republicans jumped the ship in the last election, they'd had enough of that do as I say, not as I do stuff, and the holdouts of the GOP are clinging to life while trying to poke holes in a democratically led country, and recent poll figures indicate that we as a nation are now headed in the correct direction. I didn't want to say right direction because that would be an oxy-moron statement.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
I know of several woman, who were ill, who needed medical treatment to save their lives - but because they were pregnant, and the medical treatment would have potentially harmed their unborn child, they refused the treatment.
Good for them. Thats why I am pro choice. So everyone has the choice. it is their choice. Right? Right!

Personally, I would go ahead and take the medication. I come first. The woman comes first. No doubt about it.

And what has this got to do with anything?

And even though I am sorry for what you had to go through, I still think it is nuts to put the fetus above the mother. If the woman says it is ok-she wants to give her life for the child-fine. But otherwise, no.

I would never accept that a fetus is worth more than my life and that it was worth saving over me. Nope. Never. Especially if a man thought so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
Why do conservatives always think liberals should be tolerant of their beliefs but are never tolerant themselves?
It's because the people who are the far out right have babies out of wedlock, do immoral injustices, and some, say what others are doing is wrong, while they're doing wrong themselves. They are the true hipocrites.

The finger pointers are guilty themselves of playing footsie with other men in bathrooms, while at the same time proclaiming they're not gay.

Most conservatives or republicans jumped the ship in the last election, they'd had enough of that do as I say, not as I do stuff, and the holdouts of the GOP are clinging to life while trying to poke holes in a democratically led country, and recent poll figures indicate that we as a nation are now headed in the correct direction. I didn't want to say right direction because that would be an oxy-moron statement.
You are my new favorite pardner.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Especially if a man thought so.
Hmm. A little anti-male, are you?

Old 05-09-2009, 09:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Nope.

Just when they want to dictate woman and think we are sex objects and think they have any control over if we continue our pregnancies or not.

To this day, I will never let a man tell me what to do. EVER. If it has to do with my career, my night plans, my schooling or my body. He will NEVER tell me what to do.

Understand? Good.

Old 05-09-2009, 09:09 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post

The women who are most vehemently pro-choice usually argue that "the men make the laws and abortion doesn't affect men, so they have no right to ban or even restrict it."

Funny:

1) Abortion does affect men

2) Last time I checked, women also make the laws in this country. For example, my state senator, state representative, US representative, and one of my two US senators are WOMEN. And most of these women are pro-life. Pro-choicers don't have an easy time getting elected around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies