Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2009, 10:05 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,594,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Well, I'm "pro-gun" to the extent that I think they should be legal to own. I don't have an interest in guns myself, though, so it's hard for me to get excited about them.

I do think it's a good idea to require background checks and licenses for gun ownership.
To each his own.
My problem with background checks and licenses is that they go against my libertarian instincts.
The second amendment is supposed to convey a "right" of the people to keep and bear arms. I have always been taught that we are considered innocent until proven guilty. Why, then, when it comes to my "right" to keep and bear arms, I am considered guilty until I prove my innocence with a background check?

I don't believe the criminal element among us still has the same rights that I do, if they have been duly tried and convicted in a court of law. In my opinion, criminals (felons) surrender most of their rights when they commit their crimes, though they don't lose those rights until they've been convicted. For this reason, once they've been convicted and are incarcerated, I don't believe they should have the right to own firearms. I believe they should do the time for their crimes. I also believe that if they do the appropriate time, then they should have their rights restored once they are released, and this would include firearms ownership. If, according to the government, they're not ready for that, they shouldn't be released from prison.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

4,906 posts, read 6,849,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
No, I wasn't stereotyping at all. Point out the stereotype that you see and I will address it.

I said that militant attitudes are annoying and unappealing, no matter who they come from.
AM I disagree... You quoted a stereotype and agreed.

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
That has been said 1000s of times. I know and I think it is stupid to vote based on religion. Simple as that.
While you may believe it is "stupid", there are millions who disagree with you.

Your core values - who you are - what you believe in - your own set of what is right and wrong - your morals WILL impact who you vote for.

While some logic may impact your decision - but, it goes far beyond that.

8,762 posts, read 11,577,270 times
"But I have a huge problem making it FULLY the woman's choice.

What you fail to understand is the child develops cognitive abilities, the ability to think and feel, etc. long before birth. At that point, yes, the child is absolutely a person deserving of protection."

That does not answer my question. That was very off topic in fact. And sorry but it looks like I have to copy paste from now one. For some reason my browser wont let me copy/paste.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
While you may believe it is "stupid", there are millions who disagree with you.

Your core values - who you are - what you believe in - your own set of what is right and wrong - your morals WILL impact who you vote for.

While some logic may impact your decision - but, it goes far beyond that.
EDIT:Ok I guess the copy paste thing works now. Sorry Afo. LOL

I really dont care if millions disagree with me. Are you somehow trying to get me to change my mind by telling me so many people vote based on religion? If so, stop. Stop telling me millions of people vote based on religion or "morals" and I dont give a damn if 80 or whatever percent are religious. I am not going to change that I think it is stupid to vote based on religion. I vote how I vote. Based on logic and reasoning while you all can vote on some religion.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:08 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
Pretty much.

I guess they just cannot accept that some women do not want or need women. They can either:

a) Be lesbian
b) Be fine on their own
You're not making sense.

First, I wasn't stereotyping. Afo didn't see me stereotyping either. The bottom line is that I know what I said and I know what I meant.

Second, I think you meant to say "they cannot accept that some women do not want or need men", right?

Third, I have no problem accepting that some women do not want or need men. I don't know how you got the impression that I do.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:09 PM

3,051 posts, read 11,594,947 times
Quote:
Yeah like some people vote primarily on how they are against abortion. I am like "Ok...what is that going to go? Abortion is not going to go away no matter how pro life the president might be". Or they vote Republican because they hate gay people or something. Once again, I say "Gay people are not going to go anywhere just because you don't like them."

Yeah, it sucks that our laws are based of morality. The reason why I said that is because there is (once again) NO STANDARD of mortality. You might think abortion is immoral but I don't. You think gay marriage is immoral but I don't. You simply cannot reach an agreement with everyone on mortality so why not just use logic and reasoning? You know if we based our country of logic and reasoning and not some faith and morality BELIEFS (not proven), we would never be in this mess.
Since some people believe that other people "just needed killing," should we abolish our laws regarding murder? Who are you and I to say it's wrong? The law is based on an issue of morality, after all.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:10 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Quote:
"But I have a huge problem making it FULLY the woman's choice.

What you fail to understand is the child develops cognitive abilities, the ability to think and feel, etc. long before birth. At that point, yes, the child is absolutely a person deserving of protection."

That does not answer my question. That was very off topic in fact. And sorry but it looks like I have to copy paste from now one. For some reason my browser wont let me copy/paste.
I deleted that post. That's probably why there was a problem.

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
EDIT:Ok I guess the copy paste thing works now. Sorry Afo. LOL

I really dont care if millions disagree with me. Are you somehow trying to get me to change my mind by telling me so many people vote based on religion? If so, stop. Stop telling me millions of people vote based on religion or "morals" and I dont give a damn if 80 or whatever percent are religious. I am not going to change that I think it is stupid to vote based on religion. I vote how I vote. Based on logic and reasoning while you all can vote on some religion.
No, I'm not trying to change your mind - there is no reason for me to. I'm merely trying to let you know that most people - of all political persuasions, will vote, in part, based on the religious / moral values - not "logic".

But, trying to get you to change your mind - No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
But how is it possible not to if your religion is an extremely important part of who you are?

Think about it.
I have thought about it and come to a conclusion. I think people who make religion (an unproven BELIEF-in my eyes) everything and an extremely important part of who they are are simply weak.

If you are going to base your vote on The Bible or Quran, I might as well base my vote on Sleeping Beauty. They all are just fairy tales after all. People who go that into religion and let it interfere with their life and reality are just weak minded and I feel so sorry for them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies