Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2009, 10:51 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,574,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Abortion is a big enough issue alone to cause many people to vote Republican. Did you ever consider why?
DUH!

Man are you stating the obvious today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 10:52 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
DUH!

In that post, you made it seem like it was stupid for them to vote Republican solely over abortion.

What I'm asking is did you ever consider why that one issue would change their vote?

Old 05-09-2009, 10:53 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
One problem I have with many liberals is they feel that because you can't prove religion, as you stated, you should not teach anything that is based on religion.
And with good reason. How do you choose which religion is the correct one? Or do you try to teach the beliefs of several religions?

No. Science classes should teach science, not religion. If a parent wants his child to learn about religion, there are plenty of opportunities to do that outside of the public schools.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
When have I insulted your beliefs?
You have before. That is when we originally met.

It is many many posts ago. I now have 1,970 something so there is no point in searching all that way back but I know you did. Because I remember your name and what you said. I know it was you because thats when we started DM too.

So why do you think you can dish out and insult my beliefs (Oh Christianity is better! The only way! You are wrong and your religion is false) but when I do it, suddenly it irks you?

Old 05-09-2009, 10:55 PM

4,301 posts, read 7,034,703 times
Quote:
In that post, you made it seem like it was stupid for them to vote Republican solely over abortion.
But when you think about it.. When was the last time abortion was on the docket politically? Seems to me that debate has been long dead. Now I can understand reforming abortion laws, but that is about where I draw the line. I suppose abortion is just another ploy by politicians to keep us distracted...

Old 05-09-2009, 10:56 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,674,422 times
Quote:
But how is it possible not to if your religion is an extremely important part of who you are?
I think it's up to the individual to decide that. Some will vote based on religion; others believe their religious views should be kept separate from public policies.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:

What I'm asking is did you ever consider why that one issue would change their vote?
Yes. I have come to several conclusions.

A) They want to dictate women
B) They dont believe in giving women rights
C) They somehow think that voting Republican will make abortion go away like magic even though there are much more serious things at hand.
D) They think a bunch of cells is a baby
E) They want to protect the unborn
F) Blinded by religion

They can vote how they want but voting Republican because of abortion is not going to make it go away. Simple as that.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankie117 View Post
But when you think about it.. When was the last time abortion was on the docket politically? Seems to me that debate has been long dead. Now I can understand reforming abortion laws, but that is about where I draw the line. I suppose abortion is just another ploy by politicians to keep us distracted...
Several things:

1) A pro-life President can appoint pro-life SC justices

2) Pro-lifers, especially on the state level, can make abortion a complicated process. The TX Legislature passed a slew of bills recently for this purpose.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:59 PM

8,299 posts, read 8,607,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
DUH!

Quote:

I think that Theliberalvoice was pointing out that abortion is an obvious wedge issue, hence his "Duh."

Old 05-09-2009, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
I think it's up to the individual to decide that. Some will vote based on religion; others believe their religious views should be kept separate from public policies.
But no one realistically believes that morality should be kept separate from public policies. Some people believe it should be for the most part, but virtually no one thinks it should be kept completely separate.

Most religious people derive their standards of morality from their religious beliefs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies