Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2009, 12:17 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Wasn't Gray Davis involved in several different controversies?
Controversies? Hardly. He was one of the most boring governors this state has ever had, and that was part of his problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 12:20 AM

4,906 posts, read 6,849,707 times
Quote:
I was the one who mentioned that pro-choice women don't feel men should have a say in abortion laws.

I think it's quite funny how they suggest abortion doesn't affect us merely because we are incapable of physically becoming pregnant.
That doesn't change the stereotyping that was my point. I just wanted to point out that we "ALL" do it.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:20 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Afo,

I noticed you did not answer or look into one of my posts.

"You know I find it funny you are so busy going through my posts and making me look stupid or bad or pointing out I am "Simplistic".

But when people insult me or my beliefs (like Msconnie), you have nothing to say to that. Doesnt she also have a simplistic view? After all she can dish it to me and tell me I am wrong and her religion is all better-blah blah-but when I do it, suddenly it "irks" her?

Odd."

Can you please tell me? I am honestly curious as to why you seemed to nitpick every post of mine but have nothing to say to her as she insults me?

I honestly thought you were a fair poster and have repped you a couple of times on here.
Sorry. I try to be a fair poster.

I wasn't intending to "nitpick" every post of yours.

Her religious beliefs are no better than your religious beliefs or lack thereof but, at the same time, your religious beliefs or lack thereof are no better than hers. Neither you, nor her, will know who's right until you die, and I'm not too sure you'll know anything at that point.

Her view may be somewhat simplistic as well, but you specifically tend to be very politically-biased. She tends to be more accepting of those who have other political views. I was leaving religion out when referring to your views as "simplistic" and "one-sided." If you want to bring religion in, I could say the same with respect to her.

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 05-10-2009 at 12:32 AM..

Old 05-10-2009, 12:24 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,594,947 times
Quote:
Religion should not be "taught." Period.

Murder should be taught as being wrong because it is a criminal act.
Why is murder a criminal act? What was the basis for its becoming a criminal act? It would be hard to convince me that it was based on anything other than the religious beliefs of our ancestors who identified it as a criminal act.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
Why is murder a criminal act? What was the basis for its becoming a criminal act? It would be hard to convince me that it was based on anything other than the religious beliefs of our ancestors who identified it as a criminal act.
The morality of the majority of legislators determines the vast majority of criminal laws.

Each lawmaker's morality can be derived from his or her religion, his or her conscience, or anywhere else.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:27 AM

3,051 posts, read 11,594,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Dream on. It wasn't the Democrats who came up with the idea of recalling Gray Davis. Man.

It's amazing that you won't give Republicans credit or blame for recalling Davis and electing Arnold Schwarzenegger.

I agree that it wasn't the Democrat's idea to recall Gray Davis. That was an effort on the part of the Republicans. Republicans got the matter on the ballot, and even got Arnold to run for Governor. Once the recall election took place, however, there were enough Democrats that supported the recall that the effort was a success for the Republicans. It would not have happened if only Republicans voted in favor of the recall.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
I agree that it wasn't the Democrat's idea to recall Gray Davis. That was an effort on the part of the Republicans. Republicans got the matter on the ballot, and even got Arnold to run for Governor. Once the recall election took place, however, there were enough Democrats that supported the recall that the effort was a success for the Republicans. It would not have happened if only Republicans voted in favor of the recall.
Arnold probably won, after the recall, for the same reason Reagan won. Although I think Reagan was a good President, I don't think Hollywood should serve as "training" for governors or Presidents.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:31 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
Even know, women are not respected as much as men. Men get paid more, men are promoted much faster and easier. On top of it, women get pregnant. When they do, they have to put their whole career on hold, they risk losing their jobs because the employer is not happy about it, etc, etc....

These facts are undeniable.
Okay, TLV. Get ready to be angry.

Most of the difference in pay between men and women is due to their choice of work.

Women choose to have babies. And yes, they do sometimes have to put their careers on hold, and sometimes employers aren't happy about it. But no one forced them to have a baby in the first place.

Throughout the animal kingdom, there are inequalities between males and females. Sometimes the females are dominant; other times its the males. I think it's important to accept the differences between the sexes and the fact that men have their strengths and weaknesses, but women do as well. Perfect equality between the sexes is impossible.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:32 AM

38,644 posts, read 26,393,631 times
Quote:
Why do conservatives always think liberals should be tolerant of their beliefs but are never tolerant themselves?

I always see posts on here from conservatives saying: "Oh what a "tolerant" liberal.

I mean, seriously. You all think liberals should shut up and just tolerate your beliefs while you have no respect for our beliefs? Or while you all try to push religion into the government and stop gays and lesbians from marrying who they love?

For one, I know when I say something, people say "Wow. You are not a tolerant liberal."

Never claimed I was. As far as I know liberals here have the right to their beliefs and dont have to bend over backwards in order to please conservatives and be tolerant towards them. This is especially true when conservatives are not very tolerant of our beliefs. You want us to just sit back and tolerate you all when you have no have no intention of tolerating us?

So conservatives, why do you expect liberals to be tolerant when you obviously are not? Where did this whole slogan about "tolerant liberal" even come about?

"Why do conservatives always think liberals should be tolerant of their beliefs but are never tolerant themselves?"

Perhaps if you could provide some example of what you are talking about I could help you understand.

I'll say this at least. Liberals are experiencing a void since their peak of influence during the 1960s and 1970s. That void is the Bull Connors and George Wallaces that made affirmative action and court-ordered busing a no-brainier. Adding points to a black or female applicant's cutting score was simply accepted as necessity for correcting the very real problems of a society that favored heterosexual protestant white males. The America that was once industrialized dumped toxins by the tons onto our fresh water supplies and into the atmosphere. Lake Erie actually caught fire a couple times. The Cold-War was on and the prospect of unlimited nuclear war was a daily concern. It was a very different world.

But now the causes are not so clear cut for our liberal friends. Affirmative action is now seen by many, if not most, Americans as reverse discrimination or at least no longer needed. Blacks live in white neighborhoods far more frequently, and the only people keeping blacks out of higher education are blacks. The EPA has taken control of the few polluters left in America since our smokestack industries have gone to China. The rivers won't ignite any longer, and the former Soviet Union is much less of a threat. Cars are virtually non-polluting and self-diagnosing. Corporations routinely fire white males who are even accused of any sort non-PC language or actions (Adam Conti, LLC Pleadings)while gays, blacks and women can pretty much do as they like. Even the POTUS is half-black and considered the first black president.

So what's a lefty to do in a world that doesn't run rampant with overt racism, inequality, pollution and nukes? They invent their own new injustices out of thin air. Global warming, gay rights, animal rights, illegal immigrant rights, hate speech, etc. And with no Klansmen or other rednecked bogeymen to point their fingers at, they've had to make due with successful business executives and born-again Christians. Make a good living in the banking industry? Must be you're doing something dishonest. Respect the rights of the unborn? Got you on a right wing extremest watch list along with returning vets. RN who doesn't want to be forced to participate in abortion? Too bad, should have picked a different career. Listen to conservative AM talk radio? Not for much longer.

We've made the mistake of feeding the liberal bears. Now with the supplies of real issues running short, they are looking at the differing opinions of rest of us and licking their chops. They have become a cause without a concern.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:32 AM

8,762 posts, read 11,577,270 times
Quote:
Sorry. I try to be a fair poster.

I wasn't intending to "nitpick" every post of yours.

Her religious beliefs are no better than your religious beliefs or lack thereof but, at the same time, your religious beliefs or lack thereof are also no better than hers. Neither you, nor her, will know who's right until you die, and I'm not too sure you'll know anything at that point.

Her view may be somewhat simplistic as well, but you specifically tend to be very politically-biased. She tends to be more accepting of those who have other political views. I was leaving religion out when referring to your views as "simplistic" and "one-sided." If you want to bring religion in, I could say the same with respect to her.
No I actually do like you. Dont get me wrong.

If you want to know my religious beliefs, I am Agnostic. I cannot believe there is a God but there is no evidence proving or disproving God.

I think I recall you saying you were religious. Are you atheist now?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies