Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2009, 02:11 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,027,552 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
So if I don't label myself a total liberal or a total conservative, my opinion isn't worth listening to? I couldn't disagree with you more.

I'm a thinking person who considers himself to be mostly liberal, but I'm also able to see lots of good points made by people who call themselves conservatives, and I often agree with them. Listening to them and considering their views has forced me to change some of my own. If all you do is follow the official party line and bash the other side, you learn nothing, and you just end up in a shouting match, as you've so well demonstrated.
Exactly! Gosh AUM! I'm agreeing more and more with your posts! This is getting spooky! LOL!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 02:17 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
Exactly! Gosh AUM! I'm agreeing more and more with your posts! This is getting spooky! LOL!
That's two in one night. It's a record!

Don't expect to see me joining the church choir just yet, though.

Old 05-10-2009, 03:34 AM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid93225 View Post
There was a time, not all that long ago, that in California, there was no such thing as a domestic partnership. In the name of equality and tolerance, domestic partnership legislation was drafted and signed into law in the year 2000. I have not seen that anyone has tried to make this legislation illegal, or to overturn it.
Unfortunately, that's not true. There have been numerous attempts to make domestic partnerships illegal in California through referendum, litigation, and even by constitutional amendment.

Read all about it here: Domestic partnership in California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Incredibly, one of the most anti-gay politicians in California was State Senator Pete Knight. He had a gay son. Knight died just two months after his son married his partner of 10 years.

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...NGCR5HRLD1.DTL

Old 05-10-2009, 05:55 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,325,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
My friend, can you please go back and reread the post that AnUnidentifiedMale was referring too.

Was anything in there saying I hated men? NOPE. I was just saying that I dont let them control me or my body.

Was that something wrong, my friend?
It's nice to know that some here view me as a sexist, a man hater?
Don't see how one post can give that much information about me?
Men, ahhh yes, men, I'm one myself.
I was attempting to defend your position. (Liberalvoice)
Evidently, you took it the wrong way.
Like I said, women only need men for one thing, and that is making babies.
What do some, or most men have in common with each other? They're stupid. They marry a chick, make babies with her, then find another chick, get divorced leaving the first one with children and bills, hardly ever pay child support, then try telling other women how to run their lives, and continue through their whole life mistreating women and taking advantage of them, I've seen it happen over and over.
People will say, what makes you think men take advantage of women? Well, most women don't know anything about a car, except how to put the key in, men take advantage of this in a woman, men have the audacity to easily lie to women.
I am all for women's liberation, and all for equal rights. Look how many years it took to pass a law outlining equal pay for equal work, lilly ledbetter act.
Yes, women HAVE been dominated under the male workplace/workforce for a long time. No longer will they have to be under someone's thumb now.
So, yeah, if some of you want to call me sexist, go ahead, because you know how the sexist game plays, especially men, they've been playing this game ever since the beginning of time. It's about time women have gotten some equal rights.
Now that I've received the sexist label, why don't you fools who called me one slap some more labels upon me while you're at it? anti-this, anti-that. It'll make you feel a whole lot better than admitting injustices over the years.
I know a woman who was married for 40 years, this is what she told me, "never trust a man".

Old 05-10-2009, 06:29 AM

5,037 posts, read 6,930,102 times
I think intolerant is sometimes used by liberals in the same way immoral is sometimes used by conservatives, as a lazy way of making an argument irrefutable. If some just says something is intolerant, that person has only managed to convince those who already agree and anger those who already disagree. It indicates an interest in expressing opinions and a lack of interest in understanding or ultimately changing minds. All of which is fine, but the natural reaction is to oppose such dictates with complaints of "well, that's intolerant of my views." as nothing substantive has been said to refute or disagree with.

It is disappointing because there usually are more compelling arguments.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:26 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
It's nice to know that some here view me as a sexist, a man hater?
Don't see how one post can give that much information about me?
Men, ahhh yes, men, I'm one myself.
I was attempting to defend your position. (Liberalvoice)
Evidently, you took it the wrong way.
Like I said, women only need men for one thing, and that is making babies.
What do some, or most men have in common with each other? They're stupid. They marry a chick, make babies with her, then find another chick, get divorced leaving the first one with children and bills, hardly ever pay child support, then try telling other women how to run their lives, and continue through their whole life mistreating women and taking advantage of them, I've seen it happen over and over.
People will say, what makes you think men take advantage of women? Well, most women don't know anything about a car, except how to put the key in, men take advantage of this in a woman, men have the audacity to easily lie to women.
I am all for women's liberation, and all for equal rights. Look how many years it took to pass a law outlining equal pay for equal work, lilly ledbetter act.
Yes, women HAVE been dominated under the male workplace/workforce for a long time. No longer will they have to be under someone's thumb now.
So, yeah, if some of you want to call me sexist, go ahead, because you know how the sexist game plays, especially men, they've been playing this game ever since the beginning of time. It's about time women have gotten some equal rights.
Now that I've received the sexist label, why don't you fools who called me one slap some more labels upon me while you're at it? anti-this, anti-that. It'll make you feel a whole lot better than admitting injustices over the years.
I know a woman who was married for 40 years, this is what she told me, "never trust a man".
Your post did seem sexist. Perhaps you should try to broaden your views as well. I think the feminists have gotten into your head too much!

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 05-10-2009 at 08:08 AM..

Old 05-10-2009, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
EDIT to something you added on after: Once again, why state the obvious? I know most liberals are Christians. What has that got to do with anything? Most liberals are Christian BUT the difference is (unlike most conservatives) they dont let it blind them.
I should have addressed this last night. It seems I never noticed it.

Do you have any clue why people are conservative? Do you have any clue why I vote Republican?

The answers may surprise you.

Old 05-10-2009, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamexican View Post
Why do some conservatives think that liberals should be tolerant of their beliefs but may not be tolerant themselves.

How's that for a simple change to the OP that you made a big deal about? Same issue and same fix. Why do you come after me for doing the same thing you did?
Lamexican, I was slightly stereotyping in that post I admit. My point, however, was that some people simply don't see how what they do affects others. When considering the topic of abortion, it only accomplishes expanding on a "men vs. women" attitude.

They may also refuse to even consider the opinion of anyone outside their "bubble." That was my other point.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:27 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,325,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Your post did seem sexist. Perhaps you should try to broaden your views as well. I think the feminists have gotten into your head too much!
BULL$****. and, you know it. men have been manipulating and controlling women since the beginning of time, and still are. You need to broaden your education if you think I need to broaden my views. My views are different than yours and everyone else's. If you want to continue to live in a society where men have total control and domination over women, move to the middle east, where it is still practiced.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
BULL$****. and, you know it. men have been manipulating and controlling women since the beginning of time, and still are. You need to broaden your education if you think I need to broaden my views. My views are different than yours and everyone else's. If you want to continue to live in a society where men have total control and domination over women, move to the middle east, where it is still practiced.
I'm educated more than enough, thank you. Some men may be continuing to try to manipulate and control women, but there are women who try to manipulate and control men as well. Each sex has its own advantages and disadvantages. I never said women don't continue to face some discrimination based on sex, but the fact is men do as well.

I'm certainly more than aware of history. History also says that women have had the right to vote since 1920 and have had fully equal rights in every state for 40-50 years or more.

And no, I don't want to live in a society where men have total control and domination over women.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies