Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2009, 09:47 PM

13,053 posts, read 12,957,213 times

Advertisements

tolerance is to accept the behavior to which you disagree. This is fine on cultural issues, and subjective topics and behaviors. It is not possible on moral issues. Those who are tolerant of acts that are in conflict with their moral position are the true hypocrites.

If rape is acceptable in one culture and applicable under a certain set of rules and guidelines, being tolerant of this action would be to be permissive of the behavior and accepting of it. You don't have to "agree" with it, but then whether you agree or not is irrelevant if your tolerance of it allows it to continue its behavior. In essence, it becomes lack of action to stop it is essentially condoning its action.

Now how many would be tolerant of a culture that allows rape under their own conditions? I don't think many would "accept" it at all. This is the fallacy of "moral relativity" which is really where the concept of "tolerance" falls flat on its face. Cultural relativity is a sound concept as it deals with the subjective aspects of "tolerance" and acceptance. Be it the clothing people wear, the foods they eat, etc...

Moral conflicts can not be relative. A society can not exist in harmony when it has direct conflicts in moral areas. As with my example, rape would be outlawed and tolerance would not be allowed of the behavior. One moralistic belief would surpass the other forcing submission.

In terms of "abortion", those who disagree with the action believe it to be murder. Tolerating it in any form is to accept it and those who accept it are nothing more than hypocrites of their own belief. If they believe it to be murder, calling those who violate that moral position anything other than a murder is accepting of the practice. Both sides can not live in harmony in this moral dilemma. One must force the other to submit or accept the inevitable demise of that society.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 09:49 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,630,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Really? You think liberals "quickly run away" from confrontation? You must be viewing this forum much differently than I am.
I am refering to face to face.. not behind a keyboard

Old 05-10-2009, 09:53 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,577,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
I am refering to face to face.. not behind a keyboard
Funny...

Usually it is the conservatives that go running when I confront them face to face.

EDIT-2,000 posts. What the hell? LOL

Old 05-10-2009, 09:59 PM

15,154 posts, read 11,630,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Funny...

Usually it is the conservatives that go running when I confront them face to face.

EDIT-2,000 posts. What the hell? LOL
Did you threaten?

Old 05-10-2009, 10:01 PM

10,503 posts, read 15,571,018 times
Quote:
The OP seems to forget that it is the Liberals, not the conservatives who claim to be the party of tolerance. Conservatives tend to SEEM more intolerant because they stand up for what they believe in. Liberals dont. They tend to quickly run away when confronted.
You've actually contradicted yourself w/this post. If liberals couldn't stand up for what they believe in, then why do you see so many posts that annoy you? Has anyone here run away from you? I can say that I for one would never run away from what I believe in. So, bring it on if that's the case.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:01 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Let it all begin again....

Old 05-10-2009, 10:04 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,577,270 times
Quote:
Did you threaten?
Yes. With facts and evidence. They run because I am getting to close to popping the little bubble of illusions they live in.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:06 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,325,811 times
Bottom of the Glass: Listen w/o Prejudice: Electric Light Orchestra

Old 05-10-2009, 10:08 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
Yes. With facts and evidence. They run because I am getting to close to popping the little bubble of illusions they live in.
And you yourself have some of your own illusions.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:09 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,027,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
She should also consider natural order.

I bet msconnie will like that comment.
Huh???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies