Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 05:51 PM

37,981 posts, read 22,167,958 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Wapasha, please respond to my post. I'd like to see what YOUR solution is.
My solution, take care of those that truly need help, and tell the rest to take responsibility for their own actions. If they make $84,000 a year, and have to choose between high speed internet, Direct TV, and birth control, then that is their decision to make.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 05:58 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
My solution, take care of those that truly need help, and tell the rest to take responsibility for their own actions. If they make $84,000 a year, and have to choose between high speed internet, Direct TV, and birth control, then that is their decision to make.
In your previous post, you suggested that we shouldn't even take care of those who truly need help. I'm sorry if I was overreacting.

My stance on providing contraceptives has not, however, changed.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:01 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,961,908 times
I'm sorry, but if the Carrie Prejean fiasco has not shown you just how hypocritical and intolerant liberals are, nothing will.

She just voiced her opinion when asked about gay marriage - and look what happened? She was viciously attacked (and this was before any photos came out) for her views.

How can you not admit the truth?

How do you explain it?

Old 05-12-2009, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
In your previous post, you suggested that we shouldn't even take care of those who truly need help. I'm sorry if I was overreacting.

My stance on providing contraceptives has not, however, changed.
I seriously doubt I would say we shouldn't take care of the truly needy, because I have always thought we should, I just draw the line on paying for everyone to have free birth control or abortions. I don't even like the idea of paying for the poor to get an abortion, for the sake of convenience.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
I'm sorry, but if the Carrie Prejean fiasco has not shown you just how hypocritical and intolerant liberals are, nothing will.

She just voiced her opinion when asked about gay marriage - and look what happened? She was viciously attacked (and this was before any photos came out) for her views.

How do you explain it?
Considering that 0bama and Clinton both held the same views as she does, and one was elected president, i would think the same viewpoint should suffice for a beauty pageant contestant. ROFL.

Old 05-12-2009, 06:19 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,471,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post

So conservatives, why do you expect liberals to be tolerant when you obviously are not? Where did this whole slogan about "tolerant liberal" even come about?
That's code for "We only like freedom of speech if we agree with it."

Old 05-12-2009, 06:19 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Quote:
I seriously doubt I would say we shouldn't take care of the truly needy, because I have always thought we should, I just draw the line on paying for everyone to have free birth control or abortions. I don't even like the idea of paying for the poor to get an abortion, for the sake of convenience.
These parts of your post indicated to me that you supported virtually no welfare at all:

Quote:
So when do you think a person should take sole responsibility for their actions? Never?

It seem the world you want to to live in is one where no one is ever held responsible for their actions, a world where no matter how screwed up they make their life, they know that everyone else is forced to pay to cover their rear ends. Why bother to get a job, if all you have to do is walk out to the mailbox and say "Hello check," and lay back down on the couch and finish off another a fifth of scotch, and wait for the next check. Why bother to take care of your children, if some welfare case worker will do it for you?
Anyway, as far as paying for people's abortions, I have a huge problem with that. I'd like to see abortion banned in most cases in fact.

Funding contraceptives, however, would accomplish:

1) saving taxpayers' money on welfare, on the potential kids' education, etc.

2) if condoms specifically were handed out it would cut down on the number of people with STD's. STD's are, IMO, a public health issue.

3) reducing the number of abortions

Last edited by afoigrokerkok; 05-12-2009 at 06:29 PM..

Old 05-12-2009, 06:21 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,449,435 times
i do not have a high opinion of tolerance, GOP or demo, it has gotten us to where we are --these mean ugly streets.
people with principles call you on your stuff, i approve.
signed
a tree hugger

Old 05-12-2009, 07:53 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,017,437 times
Well, getting through this thread was a challenge! That being said, the terms "pro-life" and "pro-abortion" are both misnomers. I've yet to meet anyone who believes in choice that takes it lightly, or celebrates the death of a fetus. By the same token, people who support abortion rights understand that it means that if a woman has the need to have an abortion, that she be allowed to have it performed in a safe, sterile and professional manner.
Years ago, young women from wealthy families were "on vacation in Europe" or "visiting relatives" when they were getting their abortions in Switzerland or elsewhere in Europe. Middle class and poor women were left in the hands of "back alley" abortionists, often alcoholic, drug-addicted or simply incompetent doctors...if they were lucky. Otherwise, their health and well-being depended on a woman or man who used coat hangers and other implements to perform the procedure. If Roe v Wade was overturned, things would return to that status and it would be those middle class and poor women who would suffer, as would their children.
IMHO, no loving deity would want an innocent baby be born simply to suffer from shaken-baby syndrome, be burned with cigarettes, have boiling
water poured on them, be beaten to death, starved, neglected, suffer the
greenstick fractures of bones too underdeveloped to have ossified, to be
unloved and unwanted and live long enough to know that. Women used to
go to the village or neighborhood midwife to obtain an herbal method of abortion. An old issue of Archaeology Magazine had an article about a small
island in the Mediterranean whose entire economy was based on growing an abortion-inducing plant for distribution throughout the Middle East. The
issue is far from new.
As to the thread topic, it appears that many liberals understand that birth
control and sex education would greatly diminish the number of selective abortions, while many conservatives see the issue in a purely subjective way; they believe that all abortions are wrong, no exceptions. Clinics have been bombed, doctors and nurses murdered, and women going in for a simple Pap smear have been verbally assaulted by protesters. That's beyond intolerance: it is trying to force others to adhere to one's personal
viewpoint.
BTW...can't rep you, highdesertmutz, but you've earned it.

Old 05-13-2009, 05:14 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,325,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post

How do you explain it?
The destruction of the USA was well underway 150 years ago.

Your analogy? could be said the very same for President Obama vs dick cheney, but at least Obama hasn't wounded or killed any hunting buddies lately, or started another conflict needlessly with another soverign nation, and lied about it.
oh, BTW, everytime Obama does something good for this Country, the conservatives jump on the bandwagon and show their hipocracy quite well, which is, do as I say, not as I do. people are watching entirely too much bill o'reilly and hannity, and listening to too much of the new republican leader, limpbag. yeah, maybe if ms. cali has an opinion, maybe she should clean up her own sexy back yard before throwing anymore rocks at glass homes? maybe she should just shut up already, whining whimpering little fool did anyone miss the crock tears?poor little baby, the libs are hunting pretty conservative heads now
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies