Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2009, 03:51 PM

2,600 posts, read 2,323,538 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
No wife here. I'm gay.

In your words and the words of theliberalvoice, I see a mindset that I used to have - a mindset that says, "I'm a victim! The world is against me!" It's not a good way to live. It's demeaning, and by having that mindset, you're giving more power to those who you believe are your enemies - and they might not really be your enemies at all.
No, I am not a victim. Where you derived this from I'll never know. It is not my mindset, but, I am old enough to recognize that many women, and gays for that matter have been victims. I think theliberalvoice was trying to convey a message to you, which I have too, that women love their independence, and you've missed the message entirely.

Thanks to lawmakers, women and children are now protected from being abused. If you view these laws are liberal points of view, you need help. In the 1960's, I knew a family where the male was beating his wife and children about every day, and there were no laws on the books back then which protected spouses and children. Even today, the LGBT community is trying to have laws enacted which protect them, and you too. I see nothing wrong with laws protecting people. A bit of tolerance goes a long ways though. I recall growing up in Chicago when gays couldn't walk on the street for fear of being beat up. Chicago has come a long way toward tolerance and acceptance. Conservatives and liberals will never see eye to eye on many issues, and I can see why with the exchanges you and I have had here. We staunchly disagree about womens rights, and what a woman chooses to do. If the conservatives had their way, America would be flashed back in time. We can thank great presidents like LBJ in making great progress towards human and civil rights.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 04:08 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,659,127 times
highdesertnutz, I'm not even a conservative. I was just of the opinion that you were being irrational in a lot of your statements, and I expressed my observations.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:19 PM

39,031 posts, read 23,012,380 times
Quote:
highdesertnutz, I'm not even a conservative. I was just of the opinion that you were being irrational in a lot of your statements, and I expressed my observations.
LOL! Did he just call you a conservative? My goodness! The simple act of offering a different point of view to someone who is clearly a liberal partisan gets you branded a conservative. Sheesh!

Old 05-10-2009, 04:22 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msconnie73 View Post
LOL! Did he just call you a conservative? My goodness! The simple act of offering a different point of view to someone who is clearly a liberal partisan gets you branded a conservative. Sheesh!
I know....it's hilarious.

Several posters have called me a liberal.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:34 PM

Quote:
I know. It's essentially slander!

By the way, I think highdesertnutz is a female.

Old 05-10-2009, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I know....it's hilarious.

Several posters have called me a liberal.
The extremely biased stances that many take here have worn me out a bit. This forum would be more interesting if there was greater emphasis on discussions, and less emphasis on shouting at each other about how good or bad the other side is.

Old 05-10-2009, 09:02 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Quote:
No wife here. I'm gay.

In your words and the words of theliberalvoice, I see a mindset that I used to have - a mindset that says, "I'm a victim! The world is against me!" It's not a good way to live. It's demeaning, and by having that mindset, you're giving more power to those who you believe are your enemies - and they might not really be your enemies at all.
Funny post. Not demeaning kind of mindeset at all. Just a cautious one.

Quote:
You know ... I really don't even know HOW to respond to this as it seems that the mere act of me discussing my religion is offensive to you. Again, I'm sorry if my discussing my religion is viewed by you as a put-down of your faith. (By the way, I did not mean anything by not capitalizing Hindu, it was a typo. Sometimes I even forget to capitalize Christianity). If you want to express how your faith and how you feel it's the only way, I have no problem with that. What I found offensive was your put downs of the Bible and about MY God. When I discuss my faith with unbelievers, I take care NOT to make snide comments about their religion such as "Christmas is a fake holiday" or how the Bible is nothing but made-up fairy tales, etc. The purpose of me sharing my Christian faith is because I CARE about others and not because I want to arrogantly say that my religion is right and yours is wrong. Since one of the core beliefs of my religion IS that Jesus is the only way to eternal life, then I'd be a hypocrite for saying anything that is contrary. Again, I apologize if this is offensive to you.
I am Agnostic but as each day goes on, I get more and more convinced that God is not real and religion is just made up babble.

The purpose of me sharing my Agonstic-becoming-Atheist belief is because I CARE about people too, you know? I dont want them getting so into religion and thinking God is the solution to everything.

YOUR God? Many religions also believe in one God. So I dont think God is just a Christian God.

You state what you think is right. You think all other religions are trash, post it. Expect people to be offended. If people think your religion is fake and the Bible is just a fairytale book, they have the right to post it too. I personally do think Christmas is a stolen holiday and wish the Pagans would make a bigger deal about it. Stealing is never a good thing. If you think otherwise, post it as you have aboice.

Quote:
Oh good lord. You think the U.S. is like the Middle East and that American men have "total control and domination over women"? Wow. That's not a healthy mindset.
I think it is true. I honestly do think women are not as respected here as men.

How is that NOT a healthy mindset?

Last edited by Theliberalvoice; 05-10-2009 at 09:12 PM..

Old 05-10-2009, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theliberalvoice View Post
I think it is true. I honestly do not think women are not as respected here as men.
Well there's a difference between what you're saying and what highdesertnutz said. "Total control and domination" of women? And comparing the U.S. to the Middle East?

Old 05-10-2009, 09:12 PM

8,762 posts, read 11,569,482 times
Quote:
Well there's a difference between what you're saying and what highdesertnutz said. "Total control and domination" of women? And comparing the U.S. to the Middle East?
Sorry. I typed it wrong. Worked all day today. Tired. I edited it.

Yawnnnn

Old 05-10-2009, 09:13 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,453,455 times
TLV, a thought...

I will admit that men are respected more than women in some ways. But perhaps you should consider the ways in which women are more respected than men, because there are many.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies