Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2009, 11:30 AM

2,600 posts, read 2,325,811 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
I'm educated more than enough, thank you. Some men may be continuing to try to manipulate and control women, but there are women who try to manipulate and control men as well. Each sex has its own advantages and disadvantages. I never said women don't continue to face some discrimination based on sex, but the fact is men do as well.

I'm certainly more than aware of history. History also says that women have had the right to vote since 1920 and have had fully equal rights in every state for 40-50 years or more.

And no, I don't want to live in a society where men have total control and domination over women.
Well, I have never seen women trying to control men, except on 'days of our lives', a soap opera.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Many welfare programs are funded at the federal level, but managed at the state level. It's a complicated system.

I see people abusing their Lone Star Cards (our version of the Bridge Card) frequently and I find it very frustrating.
I see abuses too, mothers buying soda pop and a cinnamon roll for themselves, while that EBT card was awarded to them for food for their children. these cards were meant to try to head off fraud and abuse in the place of food stamps, and it's not just women and minorities abusing the system either, I see men abusing the cards too. Abuse is sooo wide spread, how are government officials supposed to control it? They can't be there everytime a mommy or daddy makes a purchase! Is cutting off welfare entirely the answer? I don't think so. I think if the U.S. Government has $$$$ to wage wars, it definitely has the $$$$ to take care of our own, before giving foreign aid. uhoh, that's my conservative opinion/side showing again!

Old 05-10-2009, 12:42 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,681,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highdesertmutz View Post
BULL$****. and, you know it. men have been manipulating and controlling women since the beginning of time, and still are. You need to broaden your education if you think I need to broaden my views. My views are different than yours and everyone else's. If you want to continue to live in a society where men have total control and domination over women, move to the middle east, where it is still practiced.
Oh good lord. You think the U.S. is like the Middle East and that American men have "total control and domination over women"? Wow. That's not a healthy mindset.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
It does not become my responsibility to buy her pills, or condoms. People should be responsible for their own actions. Just because someone wants to be irresponsible with their life choices, does not men I must open my wallet and buy them a birth control pill or pay for their abortion.

If I choose to something risky in my life, like going rock climbing at night, barefoot, then I would not expect you to pay for my injuries and doctor visits, and I certainly would not lobby the federal government to create a new program to force you pay for my reckless behavior.
The "dog eat dog" and "every man for himself" world that you envision as ideal is not one in which I would want to live. We really are all connected to each other. We're not islands.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
Oh good lord. You think the U.S. is like the Middle East and that American men have "total control and domination over women"? Wow. That's not a healthy mindset.
How the hell did you get that out of this? http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ml#post8740525
In your perfect rosey world, the are no o j simpsons, no scott petersons, no david parker rays,
Serial Killer David Parker Ray every man treats every woman with a kind and loving touch. get real pal. pinch yourself and wake up to reality.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:09 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times
Quote:
How the hell did you get that out of this? http://www.city-data.com/forum/polit...ml#post8740525
In your perfect rosey world, the are no o j simpsons, no scott petersons, no david parker rays,
Serial Killer David Parker Ray every man treats every woman with a kind and loving touch. get real pal. pinch yourself and wake up to reality.
You're over-dramatizing.

Simply because there are men who have committed acts of violence against women doesn't mean all or even close to a majority of men view women that way.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:29 PM

Quote:
All I did was paraphrase your words.

I'm glad that you've expressed your views. You serve as a good example of someone with a "victim mentality". I'm reminded of what I don't want to be.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
You're over-dramatizing.

Simply because there are men who have committed acts of violence against women doesn't mean all or even close to a majority of men view women that way.
More than one is too many. Overdramatizing? Ask a woman who has ever had the $hit beat out of her, if that is drama.

Old 05-10-2009, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
All I did was paraphrase your words.

I'm glad that you've expressed your views. You serve as a good example of someone with a "victim mentality". I'm reminded of what I don't want to be.
Well, now we all see where you're coming from, do you still beat your wife?

Old 05-10-2009, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Well, now we all see where you're coming from, do you still beat your wife?
No wife here. I'm gay.

In your words and the words of theliberalvoice, I see a mindset that I used to have - a mindset that says, "I'm a victim! The world is against me!" It's not a good way to live. It's demeaning, and by having that mindset, you're giving more power to those who you believe are your enemies - and they might not really be your enemies at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies