Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 05:54 AM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Great posts but you have to realize reform of the healthcare system is being fought tooth and nail by these billionaire execs and their loyal, slavering herd of sheep who worship them.....people who LIKE paying exhorbitant insurance premiums and LOVE having the insurance company decide their treatment.......and don't give a damn if their fellow Americans can't afford the same worship.
Perhaps some people just want to find out the cost of the program before giving their approval. We still haven't heard any concrete estimates of what the Obama plan will cost us either via purchasing a Federal plan or the taxes that will need to be raised to help subsidize those without insurance. We also haven't heard what rationing will be done if the administration doesn't wish to grossly explode the deficit as we will be adding 47 million subsidized people to the health care system. All we've heard is the daily chorus of "crisis" designed to elicit fear, allowing a decision to be rushed through. A little more "transparency" would be appreciated, including what variables were used to determine the supposed $2500 yearly savings claimed by the administration.

I don't know about you, but I prefer to read a contract BEFORE signing it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 06:04 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,426,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
Perhaps some people just want to find out the cost of the program before giving their approval. We still haven't heard any concrete estimates of what the Obama plan will cost us either via purchasing a Federal plan or the taxes that will need to be raised to help subsidize those without insurance. We also haven't heard what rationing will be done if the administration doesn't wish to grossly explode the deficit as we will be adding 47 million subsidized people to the health care system. All we've heard is the daily chorus of "crisis" designed to elicit fear, allowing a decision to be rushed through. A little more "transparency" would be appreciated, including what variables were used to determine the supposed $2500 yearly savings claimed by the administration.

I don't know about you, but I prefer to read a contract BEFORE signing it.
While it seems logical that you would want to know what a new program will cost before approving it, truth is that many, many people don't or won't grasp how incredibly costly the current system is. It is a system that no one really "agreed" to because it evolved over time with costs that are so deeply hidden in the system and ingrained in our lives that most don't even realize how expensive and wasteful it is.

Last edited by Sagran; 05-15-2009 at 06:27 AM..

Old 05-15-2009, 06:27 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,516,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
^^^Yes, these things happen. When I met DH, I was appalled that he had no insurance at all. He was a grad student at the time, and at that time, students weren't required to either furnish proof of insurance or buy it from the University, like most colleges require now. I lived in fear that something would happen to him, even something "minor" like an appedicitis attack.

Now, let me ask you, did the ER bill you for the services you received? I never heard of people going to an ER and not paying until I started reading this forum. I realize the ER can't refuse you service for life threatening problems, but they do bill and they expect payment.

Sorry...wasnt on last night.

They just billed me. Got one bill for the ambulance ride within a few weeks. Another bill for the ER soon after that. Then one for the X-rays/Cat Scans IIRC.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:29 AM

3,564 posts, read 5,516,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runnerup View Post
I'm pretty sure that your auto insurance should cover that. It's called bodily injury/property damage liability. Read your auto insurance plan. I'm sure it's in there.

They helped some but only up to 1000.00 specifically for the medical bills. Was liberty mutual at the time. They did help a lot by giving me a few grand more than the car was worth, though, which went towards those bills.

Old 05-15-2009, 07:21 AM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
In the US, people with insurance die because they were denied treatment. People with insurance go bankrupt trying to pay medical bills.
You are so right. Too many families in America hanging on by their fingernails trying to pay health insurance to the detrement of their family.
Damn if GM is going broke and a big part of that is their Health care Bills...what chance do poor everyday Americans have?
Of course the smug people who earn good salaries or have company health care feel that the millions who are awake all night worrying about their health care needs are just "whiners". Typical!

Old 05-15-2009, 08:05 AM

7,931 posts, read 9,156,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
While it seems logical that you would want to know what a new program will cost before approving it, truth is that many, many people don't or won't grasp how incredibly costly the current system is. It is a system that no one really "agreed" to because it evolved over time with costs that are so deeply hidden in the system and ingrained in our lives that most don't even realize how expensive and wasteful it is.
I agree with how costly the current system is. I'm self employed and pay for my family's benefits. I just can't see how we will have really significant savings without some pretty steep rationing or forcing everyone to pay into the system. I don't think the administration is telling people the truth regarding the cuts that will need to be made to bring cost efficiency to the medical care system. Just making medical records electronic isn't going to be enough.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:15 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,426,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fopt65 View Post
I agree with how costly the current system is. I'm self employed and pay for my family's benefits. I just can't see how we will have really significant savings without some pretty steep rationing or forcing everyone to pay into the system. I don't think the administration is telling people the truth regarding the cuts that will need to be made to bring cost efficiency to the medical care system. Just making medical records electronic isn't going to be enough.
Do you not realize that we have some pretty steep rationing now? The same level of treatment isn't available to everyone. Sometimes treatment is available to some people.

Of course everyone will pay into the system. We're all paying into it now, even those among us who have no coverage. The costs are hidden in everything you buy. I'm not sure how you are self employed, but if I purchaced your product or services, I would be paying in just as surely as if I were paying taxes because money would come out of my pocket to pay for your insurance. What's the difference between that and my paying taxes? Oh, I know -- billions of dollars in profits to insurance companies who expense out the cost of paying people to deny you benefits every chance they can.

Old 05-15-2009, 08:25 AM

27,624 posts, read 21,129,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
Wow, do you have proof no torture took place under Clinton? Were you in kosovo?
Well. let's put it this way...if Clinton had broken the rules of the United States being a signatory of the Geneva Convention or had the military go against what is stated in the Army Field Manual, they would not have had to go after him like vultures on account of a BJ instead.

BTW, which do you think is more insidious, oral sex or waterboarding?

Last edited by sickofnyc; 05-15-2009 at 09:24 AM..

Old 05-15-2009, 05:40 PM

2,553 posts, read 2,436,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geeoro View Post
Exactly what experience do you have of a UHC to make such a sweping statement?
I spoke to my cousin's girlfriend today who has just got back from the USA and while there had to go into Hospital with a Kidney infection..The bill was $5,000 and she said it was awful as no one seemed to know what they were doing. Great recomendation for Private run Health schemes...Not! You would have thought that someone who is subjected to that wicked UHC system would have been in "heaven" in the so called Eutopia of America's finest.
That's because she obviously went to an emergency room and is being billed at full price. First, what they bill and what they agreed to accept are two different things. Medicare or any of the PPO networks, discount all services from the fee that's being charged to what's been agreed to by contract in their fee schedule......which means, you should ask for a discount when paying by cash since they accept a discounted payment from everyone else any way. Second, never run to an emergency room for something like a bladder or kidney infection that can be treated at an outpatient or clinic type facility. That's what they're for and they have extended hours....they charge fees more in line with what a doctors office would charge.....in this case, it would probably have been no more than what you would pay for an office visit, easily less than $100. The emergency room at a hospital charges you hundreds before they do anything, just for walking through the door.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:00 PM

7,923 posts, read 8,847,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danno3314 View Post
That's because she obviously went to an emergency room and is being billed at full price. First, what they bill and what they agreed to accept are two different things. Medicare or any of the PPO networks, discount all services from the fee that's being charged to what's been agreed to by contract in their fee schedule......which means, you should ask for a discount when paying by cash since they accept a discounted payment from everyone else any way. Second, never run to an emergency room for something like a bladder or kidney infection that can be treated at an outpatient or clinic type facility. That's what they're for and they have extended hours....they charge fees more in line with what a doctors office would charge.....in this case, it would probably have been no more than what you would pay for an office visit, easily less than $100. The emergency room at a hospital charges you hundreds before they do anything, just for walking through the door.
Her Bill was payed by her Holiday Insurance.
A Doctor was called to her Hotel room and he admitted her into Hospital.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies