Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:31 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,319,728 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
Hmmmmm. "Separation of religious matters from governing matters."

Another consideration would be: "separation of history from governing matters." (which is really saying the same thing as removing religion). If you could do this in the Mid-East, in Europe, in Africa, in Asia, and in the Americas: you would have instant world peace, wouldn't you?

Your statement is really a platitude, and not only incredibly naive, but also impractical and harmful.

It is like saying, "You must separate governing from societal matters." If one were to fully comprehend and implement your suggestion, it can be summed up in one word.

Authoritarianism.

[Mod edit]

I suppose, that living under the Rule of Law provided for by the Constitution could be construed as the "authority", therefore, the Authority of the Law, therefore Authoritarian - But most sober individuals think of Authoritarianism as something other than the authority of Rule of Law.

Authoritarianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Did you rack your brain to somehow come up with some sort of defense for an idiot despot?

You have no power here - Go back to your cave and begat with the bats.

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 05-30-2009 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: Lets not get personal shall we
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 09:46 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,518,770 times
I was a kid in the early 1980's, shortly after the Iranian revolution, and I remember "Gog and Magog" being characterized in church back then as being modern day Iran (Persia in earlier times).

The Fundies had found their anti Christ in the Ayatollah.

Well, that storyline is still alive, but I think, as the Defense Dept. memo's from Rumsfeld help prove, that religion was the substitute for intellectual curiosity, facts, and knowledge about the Middle East for the idiot frat boy from Texas.

To the everlasting shame of my country, we invaded another country with absolutely no justification, and now its becoming ever more clear it was an old fashioned Crusade.

I do hope that these people realize they give legitimacy to Islamic radicals and prove these people to be correct when they accuse this nation of a war against Islam.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:21 AM

5,767 posts, read 5,014,662 times
Not to worry, Tenny...you're right on the money as usual. As time passes and information comes out, we will learn much more about how the Bush 43 admin worked, and how perilously close we came to having what was a theocracy in all but name. I don't think that you have a naive bone in your body...these "End Timers" are terrifying, as is Michael Weinstein's book about the push in the military to create an army of God. The Bush administration was the outcome of unbridled power coalesced in the military-industrial complex, and it has brought America to her knees in every way possible. That Cheney and Rumsfeld manipulated Bush in this manner makes a full investigation necessary. This is no bungled break-in; we're talking high crimes and treason at this point. The horrible pity of it is the callous way our service men and women were used as cannon fodder to further these bizarre beliefs. Bush quit drinking (they say, at least) but doesn't seem to have been through rehab nor worked the AA program, which makes him a "dry drunk:" someone who quits drinking but never seeks to change the habits and thinking that they had when they were drunk. Bush seems to fit that mold. What's frightening is the number of people who defend every crime that Bush, Rove, Cheney, Rumsfeld and Gonzalez committed, and go so far as to threaten to dissolve our union
because this same group of traitors tells them to do it. I feel ashamed as an American that any segment of our population would continue to give overt approval to the crimes against humanity that they committed, much
less threaten secession. I cannot understand how such people could possibly dare to boast of their patriotism, when they clearly have none; if
they did, they would stop their nonsense and go about trying to repair the
damage done in the past 8 years. I gave up organized religion long ago, but do adhere as much as possible to Christ's teachings. Any group that
believes it's their job to hasten Armageddon is no different than the Taliban. Any talk of wanting President Obama to fail marks that person as a
traitor, simply put. If Texas wants to secede, let Mexico have their property back...and don't send any federal troops to the aid of remaining
Texans. To those people who believe that talk of secession or rebellion is tolerable to the majority of Americans, I have six words: AMERICA-Love it or leave it.
But to the original point, you're on target...and I will be much-offended if I
haven't earned my Mason jar of hard cider. I sing back-up, BTW.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:29 AM

3,709 posts, read 4,627,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post

[Mod edit]

I suppose, that living under the Rule of Law provided for by the Constitution could be construed as the "authority", therefore, the Authority of the Law, therefore Authoritarian - But most sober individuals think of Authoritarianism as something other than the authority of Rule of Law.

Authoritarianism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Did you rack your brain to somehow come up with some sort of defense for an idiot despot?

You have no power here - Go back to your cave and begat with the bats.

[Mod edit]
I know what authoritarianism is. And totalitarianism, which is a stronger word, and would have elicited an even more hateful response from you, so I didn't use it.

Did I expect anything thoughtful from someone who, in this same thread, stated "most Baptists are not very bright". Well, you regularly show your lack of intelligence through childish insults and, surprisingly, the moderators go right along. I am shocked that you get away with it, you are becoming the consummate ****** [asterisk provided by me] (see Cheney thread again).

Last edited by TnHilltopper; 05-30-2009 at 07:22 AM..

Old 05-29-2009, 03:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
It is in no way a platitude nor naive to think that one can govern societal matters without the interjection of radical fundamentalist religious beliefs. Please, spare me... who is being naive here.

We are not talking about the run of the mill Christian ideology here or any mainstream train of thought, we are talking about a seriously skewed and minority belief sect of the Christian faith that is at best, misguided, at worst, what we have.

I'm sorry if you feel it is mere platitudes to go from having faith in the tenets of the Christian faith to having not only the desire but a position of power to invoke the end time prophecies of a small minority of radical Christians. Who here is really being naive, I mean really.

To the forum, how many of you people actually believe that in order to fulfill your destiny as Christians, that all the Jews must return to Zion so that Armageddon can begin and the end times give birth to the rapture in which 144,000 can ascend to heaven without dying and everyone else descends to hell who hasn't given unto Christ?

Does anyone feel that a President who believes in such things might be a little dangerous to 99.999% of the world who might disagree? Or am I being naive?
Sorry, but you placed an overly broad statement: "religion should be removed from governing matters" into your post. You did not single out and specify the 100% Zionist-relocation theory in your original statement.

If you think that "religion should be removed from governing matters" is not a platitude, picture yourself stating that in front of the Israeli prime minister and the Palestinian representative at a peace conference. You will be chased from the room.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:44 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,563 times
religious people are scary....

Old 05-29-2009, 03:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boiseguy View Post
religious people are scary....
atheists are scary.........

Is this the best you can do? Would you like to start a "cleansing" or something? That is, in fact, what most atheistic regimes have accomplished. Interesting to see that you think like they do.

Old 05-29-2009, 03:51 AM

4,426 posts, read 5,918,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
atheists are scary.........

Is this the best you can do? Would you like to start a "cleansing" or something? That is, in fact, what most atheistic regimes have accomplished. Interesting to see that you think like they do.
best I can do?
I'm not advocating anything.. just making a statement...
religious people ARE scary...
they knock on your door, try to drag you to their church, tell you to pray to something that doesn't exist, cry and carry on like fruitloops in church's..
It's scary..

Old 05-29-2009, 05:05 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,097 times
Quote:
Perhaps George W Bush may have really been a crusader after all and not just a man recklessly using words. Well leave it to the French...

Now a freakish aspect has been added: Former French President Jacques Chirac says Bush told him the war was started to fend off Gog and Magog.

The Charleston Gazette - West Virginia News and Sports - Editorials - Bizarre*
Dubya...

Life is so much better with that bozo out of the White House.

Old 05-29-2009, 05:25 AM

13,163 posts, read 1,694,182 times
Quote:
It is in no way a platitude nor naive to think that one can govern societal matters without the interjection of radical fundamentalist religious beliefs. Please, spare me... who is being naive here.

We are not talking about the run of the mill Christian ideology here or any mainstream train of thought, we are talking about a seriously skewed and minority belief sect of the Christian faith that is at best, misguided, at worst, what we have.

I'm sorry if you feel it is mere platitudes to go from having faith in the tenets of the Christian faith to having not only the desire but a position of power to invoke the end time prophecies of a small minority of radical Christians. Who here is really being naive, I mean really.

To the forum, how many of you people actually believe that in order to fulfill your destiny as Christians, that all the Jews must return to Zion so that Armageddon can begin and the end times give birth to the rapture in which 144,000 can ascend to heaven without dying and everyone else descends to hell who hasn't given unto Christ?

Does anyone feel that a President who believes in such things might be a little dangerous to 99.999% of the world who might disagree? Or am I being naive?
Since you asked the question - "fulfilling one's destiny as Christians" has little to do with end times prophecy. If it's in the Bible regarding end times, it will happen, in its time, as prophesied. No one (not Bush, not the Pope, not anyone) can manipulate it, hasten it, avert it. Period.

You are mixing up the doctrines and sects. "The end time prophecies of a small minoity of radical Christians" shows a certain lack of understanding. Christians believe the whole Bible. That includes Revelation, and they are not a small minority nor are they radical. One can't be a Christian and exclude any part of the Bible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies