Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 05:35 PM

4,002 posts, read 3,916,878 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
However, this does weigh heavy on me as the very notion that the United States has possibly went to war over the Presidents beliefs in end time prophecies is something that brings me no comfort. I can just see the various press releases now in Al Jezeera et al, that the Iraq war was really a holy war as some extremist suggested. This is just rather chilling and I"m hoping that Chirac had too many glasses of wine and is full of it, but sadly, this may not be the case.
Chilling indeed.

This business of presumed world leadership is a world all it's own I'm adraid.
And we who would live in the real world are left to wonder just what it is that might spawn such "off the cuff" thinking people like these.

I don't think that Chirac had quite enough wine that day to be truthful. If he had, he would have told Bush just where to get off.

As an aside, I don't think there is anything at all holy about killing people ... but that's just me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2009, 05:40 PM

3,086 posts, read 5,373,392 times
Quote:
Well bring a guitar because after the second glass of my last batch, there won't be much "thinkin" being done.

The mind of George W Bush is something I'd rather not even attempt to fathom, as for one, it would likely bring me nightmares and secondly make me a cider addict.

However, this does weigh heavy on me as the very notion that the United States has possibly went to war over the Presidents beliefs in end time prophecies is something that brings me no comfort. I can just see the various press releases now in Al Jezeera et al, that the Iraq war was really a holy war as some extremist suggested. This is just rather chilling and I"m hoping that Chirac had too many glasses of wine and is full of it, but sadly, this may not be the case.
Many of us do our "best thinking" with a guitar (or other musical instrument) in hand. . . . or at the very least, our best "not thinking"!

Old 05-28-2009, 05:45 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,670,236 times
Quote:
Perhaps George W Bush may have really been a crusader after all and not just a man recklessly using words. Well leave it to the French...

Now a freakish aspect has been added: Former French President Jacques Chirac says Bush told him the war was started to fend off Gog and Magog.

The Charleston Gazette - West Virginia News and Sports - Editorials - Bizarre*
Good god almighty! If this was W's best thinking while dry I wish to hell that someone would have given that boy a shot or two or several dozen.

It also makes me very, very glad that the other religious nutjob is not anywhere near the whitehouse. I don't agree with Obama 100% (and in fact didn't vote for him) but at least he isn't going to base foreign policy on the book of Revelations. Though I do wonder just which foreign leader W thought 'the redheaded *****' was?

Old 05-28-2009, 05:54 PM

18,333 posts, read 26,588,978 times
Quote:
Well to the two posts above, I do not think this reflects "Baptist" or evangelicals or even fundamentalist as much as I see this as a view of dispensationalism or tribulationist which are a breed unto themselves. I happen to know a good number of both Baptist and even a few fundamentalist Christians who very much disagree with this view in part or whole.

Dispensationalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What is Dispensationalism?

Well this doesn't make me feel any better... in fact, it makes me want to go grab a cup of hard cider and sit on the porch trying to decide if I should build a bunker or move to Canada. (chuckling)
Well don't worry, if the prophecies are right the U.S. will soon be gone. The U.S. isn't found in Revelations unless you believe in replacing the nations referred to there with the U.S. Oh wait a minute, that probably didn't make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside, did it? Keep drinking the cider...

Old 05-28-2009, 05:57 PM

18,333 posts, read 26,588,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Good god almighty! If this was W's best thinking while dry I wish to hell that someone would have given that boy a shot or two or several dozen.

It also makes me very, very glad that the other religious nutjob is not anywhere near the whitehouse. I don't agree with Obama 100% (and in fact didn't vote for him) but at least he isn't going to base foreign policy on the book of Revelations. Though I do wonder just which foreign leader W thought 'the redheaded *****' was?
I'm not sure I like the ideology O is basing his decisions on any more than what Bush based his on (and what exactly was Bush's ideology? I'm not sure that's possible to understand, nor do I want to). Neither acts in our best interests.

Old 05-28-2009, 06:09 PM

13,163 posts, read 1,750,326 times
Quote:
Well to the two posts above, I do not think this reflects "Baptist" or evangelicals or even fundamentalist as much as I see this as a view of dispensationalism or tribulationist which are a breed unto themselves. I happen to know a good number of both Baptist and even a few fundamentalist Christians who very much disagree with this view in part or whole.

Dispensationalism - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What is Dispensationalism?

Well this doesn't make me feel any better... in fact, it makes me want to go grab a cup of hard cider and sit on the porch trying to decide if I should build a bunker or move to Canada. (chuckling)

Perhaps you want to consider doing both -- move to Canada AND build a bunker.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:03 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,229,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southward bound View Post
Perhaps you want to consider doing both -- move to Canada AND build a bunker.
Well all the humor and prior suggestions aside... The notion of the United States embarking on a crusade of sorts is beyond chilling and reaffirms my strong beliefs in the separation of not just political entities in government, but more importantly in the separation of religious matters from governing matters.

At best, this story, whether entire true or not will feed the worst sort of people in the worst way possible. In the worst case scenario, it will be a further catalyst for further extremist Muslim's to pursuit a Jihad.

In the end, I can only hope that this story is simply some disgruntled rant from Chirac and the extreme level of what it implies is soon corrected.

Old 05-28-2009, 07:17 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,599,817 times
Whats the greater tragedy, that a moron like Bush could serve two terms, or that half of America would vote for a blithering idiot?

"Gog and Magog", if memory serves, refer to modern day Persia.

Thats the problem when you combine Christianity and an idiot, you end up with someone acting on "faith", itself a substitute for common sense, critical thinking skills and informed choices.

The only good news in this story is he was prevented from bombing Iran.

America: If you dont separate religion from politics you risk Armageddon.

Old 05-28-2009, 08:07 PM

3,709 posts, read 4,640,257 times
Quote:
Well all the humor and prior suggestions aside... The notion of the United States embarking on a crusade of sorts is beyond chilling and reaffirms my strong beliefs in the separation of not just political entities in government, but more importantly in the separation of religious matters from governing matters.

Hmmmmm. "Separation of religious matters from governing matters."

Another consideration would be: "separation of history from governing matters." (which is really saying the same thing as removing religion). If you could do this in the Mid-East, in Europe, in Africa, in Asia, and in the Americas: you would have instant world peace, wouldn't you?

Your statement is really a platitude, and not only incredibly naive, but also impractical and harmful.

It is like saying, "You must separate governing from societal matters." If one were to fully comprehend and implement your suggestion, it can be summed up in one word.

Authoritarianism.

Old 05-28-2009, 09:24 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,229,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishvanguard View Post
Hmmmmm. "Separation of religious matters from governing matters."

Another consideration would be: "separation of history from governing matters." (which is really saying the same thing as removing religion). If you could do this in the Mid-East, in Europe, in Africa, in Asia, and in the Americas: you would have instant world peace, wouldn't you?

Your statement is really a platitude, and not only incredibly naive, but also impractical and harmful.

It is like saying, "You must separate governing from societal matters." If one were to fully comprehend and implement your suggestion, it can be summed up in one word.

Authoritarianism.
It is in no way a platitude nor naive to think that one can govern societal matters without the interjection of radical fundamentalist religious beliefs. Please, spare me... who is being naive here.

We are not talking about the run of the mill Christian ideology here or any mainstream train of thought, we are talking about a seriously skewed and minority belief sect of the Christian faith that is at best, misguided, at worst, what we have.

I'm sorry if you feel it is mere platitudes to go from having faith in the tenets of the Christian faith to having not only the desire but a position of power to invoke the end time prophecies of a small minority of radical Christians. Who here is really being naive, I mean really.

To the forum, how many of you people actually believe that in order to fulfill your destiny as Christians, that all the Jews must return to Zion so that Armageddon can begin and the end times give birth to the rapture in which 144,000 can ascend to heaven without dying and everyone else descends to hell who hasn't given unto Christ?

Does anyone feel that a President who believes in such things might be a little dangerous to 99.999% of the world who might disagree? Or am I being naive?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies