Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2009, 06:29 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,468,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagran View Post
It sounds like you think forcing a woman stay pregnant is what she deserves for having sex and not using effective birth control. Why else would you approve an abortion when those two things are eliminated?
No. I simply don't want fetuses to be killed. I'd support a rape exception only because she literally had no choice in that circumstance and I actually, contrary to what many of you say, support plenty of "choices."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2009, 06:29 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,427,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Why do you feel she can CHOOSE in that situation but no other? Why do you feel the baby in a rape case is "evil"?
I think this is going to go back to the old standby of "Well, women who weren't raped made their choices when they had sex." I don't see where else it can go. And that's the premise of the having-a-baby-is-what-she-deserves school of punishment for being sexually active.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Why do you feel she can CHOOSE in that situation but no other? Why do you feel the baby in a rape case is "evil"?
It's not. Allow me to rephrase - women should not have to go through truly forced pregnancies.

If she had consensual sex, she had the right to choose to use many different contraceptives, she had the right to choose to require that her male partner wear a condom, and she had the right to choose to refuse sex altogether.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:34 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,391,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
These are my two reasons.

Because the woman - A) had no choice in the sex, B) had no opportunity to use contraceptives unless she was already on the Pill or took Plan B

It would truly be involuntarily servitude IMO.
Hi afoi!

How do you feel about a woman being forced to carry a pregnancy to term and have an unwanted child, if she was being responsible about BC but her birth control failed without her realising it before it was too late for Plan B?

Do you think it is involuntary servitude for her as well or is it okay to force her to carry the pregnancy and have an unwanted child against her will?

Old 06-08-2009, 06:39 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:
It's not. Allow me to rephrase - women should not have to go through truly forced pregnancies.

If she had consensual sex, she had the right to choose to use many different contraceptives, she had the right to choose to require that her male partner wear a condom, and she had the right to choose to refuse sex altogether.
If a woman has no choice then EVERY pregnancy is 'forced".

Why is the fetus of a rape different than the fetus which is not the result of a rape?

Old 06-08-2009, 06:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,805,597 times
The underlying cause of the debate is male power over women. Consensual or not sex can be used to keep women in thrall to men if the women cannot control their fertility before or after conception. In these situations birth control is as sinful as abortion because it gives the women a choice. Weak men require strong law to keep their power over women.

IMHO this is the result of men wanting to control women and/or father children without having the strength or character necessary for a woman to want carry a pregnancy to completion.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaymax View Post
Hi afoi!

How do you feel about a woman being forced to carry a pregnancy to term and have an unwanted child, if she was being responsible about BC but her birth control failed without her realising it before it was too late for Plan B?

Do you think it is involuntary servitude for her as well or is it okay to force her to carry the pregnancy and have an unwanted child against her will?
Sex is a risk. The risk can be reduced to the point that it's worth it even if you don't want children (and it's not as if the man has no responsibility for an unwanted child either....he is legally just as responsible after birth), but it is a risk and anyone having it - male or female - who doesn't want children (or STD's, etc.) needs to be aware of the risks and judge whether the risk is worth it.

If someone wants to reduce the risk further, they can double up or even triple up on contraceptives. If all are used correctly, the risk is painfully low. If someone - either male or female - is not willing to take even the slightest risk, then they shouldn't have sex.

I'd support adoption reform as well to make that a more viable option in the case of an unwanted pregnancy.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:44 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:

But if she didnt, it's okay with you if the helpless baby dies.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
But if she didnt, it's okay with you if the helpless baby dies.
Not particularly "OK," but I'm unwilling to support literally forcing pregnancy.

Old 06-08-2009, 06:49 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,158,177 times
Quote:

You keep dancing around the question:

Why is the fetus of a rape different than the fetus which is not the result of a rape?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies