Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 12:01 PM

23,838 posts, read 23,123,773 times

Advertisements

If I were the parents of the 6 year old, i'd be praising the jury for upholding the law instead of cowering to emotions that could have set this guy free.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 12:01 PM

1,300 posts, read 1,493,244 times
I wonder why his attorney/guardian advised him to plea guilty. I would think that he could have gotten a deal if he'd gone to trial.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
He entered a guilty plea. The jury was only involved in the sentence, not determining guilt. Unlike the vast majority of states, Texas has jury sentencing.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:03 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
If I were the parents of the 6 year old, i'd be praising the jury for upholding the law instead of cowering to emotions that could have set this guy free.
If I was the parent of the 6 year old, I'd be asking that the man get help rather than upholding a senseless law that will do more harm than benefit..

Old 06-11-2009, 12:04 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ButterBrownBiscuit View Post
I wonder why his attorney/guardian advised him to plea guilty. I would think that he could have gotten a deal if he'd gone to trial.

~ButterBrownBiscuit~
1) Probably a public defender that didnt want to waste their time going to trial to hear "guilty"
2) The guilty verdict, vs pleading guilty removes any lienancy from the court
3) The attorney probably thought the mans IQ would be taken into consideration.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:15 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
1) Probably a public defender that didnt want to waste their time going to trial to hear "guilty".
A court-appointed attorney, most likely, but TX does not have public defenders except in a few counties, not including Lamar (where Paris is).

Lamar County has a VERY overzealous District Attorney. He doesn't mess around - and he/his office is notorious for targeting disadvantaged/minority groups.

Old 06-11-2009, 01:48 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,111,175 times
This is no different from finding two little 5-6 year olds playing "doctor." Would you put one of them in prison....let alone for 100 years. The legal system in this country is so broken it isn't funny. We have grown men who rape child after child walking free on the streets and here is a "child" with the IQ of a 2 year old sent to be raped for touching another little child. He won't even have the capacity to understand that what he did was a no-no .....or to understand being locked away in prison and painfully raped over and over again all of his life. Oh this is just too horrible to take. Please...please tell me that some legal action group or some judge with an actual conscience will do something to overturn this miscarriage of justice quickly.

Old 06-11-2009, 02:37 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,752,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post

I am the parent of a five year old and I am with you. However that is why they don't allow vicitms or their families on juries. There is something between free and 100 years that is probably more appropriate.

Old 06-11-2009, 03:01 PM

8,276 posts, read 12,859,732 times
Yet another instance illustrating how broken the system is when it comes to sex offenders... Not much different to me than sexting. we have a bunch of hideous prosecutors looking to make a name for themselves than serving justice or the people. How sad for him. I'll be surprised if he actually lives through the prison system. guess the right wingers will get what they want then ....another pedophile dead.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:05 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,461,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
Please...please tell me that some legal action group or some judge with an actual conscience will do something to overturn this miscarriage of justice quickly.
It's being appealed to the court of appeals in Texarkana (a state court). I believe they're going to argue ineffective counsel. They're also going to argue that the psychiatrist who examined him was incompetent.

If they lose in Texarkana, they can appeal to the Texas Court of Criminal Appeals in Austin.

Old 06-11-2009, 04:56 PM

55 posts, read 88,289 times
He deserves life in a mental institution but if that's not available then prison it will have to be. It's not like they're going to toss him out there for the men to rape over and over again and just laugh at him, they will put him either in a single cell or if they have it, then in an area where all the other retarded people are. That's how prison works... and he won't have to spend 100 years, probably more like 20-25. If he is guilty (which we know he is) then he has to be taken off the streets (out of the neighborhood) just like any other sex offender.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies