U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-12-2009, 05:21 PM
 
Location: The Butte
156 posts, read 105,062 times
Reputation: 61

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
PARIS, Texas (AP) - A teenager who has profound mental disabilities was sentenced to 100 years in prison after pleading guilty to charges in a sex abuse case involving his 6-year-old neighbor.

Aaron Hart, 18, of Paris, was arrested and charged after a neighbor found him fondling her stepson in September. The teen pleaded guilty to five counts, including aggravated sexual assault and indecency by contact, and a jury decided his punishment.

Lamar County Judge Eric Clifford decided to stack the sentences against Hart after jurors settled on two five-year terms and three 30-year terms, The Dallas Morning News reported Wednesday. The judge said neither he nor jurors liked the idea of prison for Hart but they felt there was no other option.

Teen with 47 IQ gets 100 years in sex case - Crime & courts- msnbc.com

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Texas justice - I guess.
Quit picking on texans. my IQ is 45, and I don't go around doing stuff like that. I wonder if the 18 year old had a criminal defense attorney, or an accident/injury attorney?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-12-2009, 05:23 PM
 
Location: um....guess
10,478 posts, read 13,859,671 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
He fondled a little boy, not a girl; as far as a facility 'teaching" him, I doubt he's educable.
He just needs to be cared for.
I wonder if he's even able to manage his own feeding, toileting, and hygiene, with that IQ.
What sort of assistance is he receiving in prison (beyond being sexually assaulted, I mean)?
Oh I'm sorry, I thought it was a girl. Well regardless, the same holds true. I guess you're right in a way regarding teaching him, but still I think people should still try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 05:25 PM
 
Location: Texas
14,969 posts, read 14,208,858 times
Reputation: 4563
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudynm View Post
Quit picking on texans. my IQ is 45, and I don't go around doing stuff like that.
If your IQ was actually 45, I doubt you'd be able to post on this forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 05:28 PM
 
Location: um....guess
10,478 posts, read 13,859,671 times
Reputation: 1825
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
If your IQ was actually 45, I doubt you'd be able to post on this forum.
I don't know about that, kids nowadays are very savvy on computers & they are getting younger & younger. My niece is only I think 7 & she knows her way around. Course I have no idea what her IQ is, I'm just going by what was posted on here regarding IQ level & age.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 06:16 PM
 
Location: Michigan
12,715 posts, read 11,601,174 times
Reputation: 4140
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwatted Wabbit View Post
Yes, no compassion.

Who's there first when there's a tsunami?
Floods?
Famines?
Who did for their war opponents what their war opponents would never have done for them?
Charity begins at home. If we'll torture this 18-year-old for 50 to 100 years in what are essentially third world conditions, spare me the rest of the crap. This is a basically ****ty society full of basically ****ty people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 09:32 PM
 
Location: Hoboken
19,891 posts, read 16,311,417 times
Reputation: 3123
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
As one who has worked extensively with the mentally retarded, and actually has an adult mentally retarded child, let me tell you that the person has little to no ability to determine that what they did was inappropriate.

At an IQ below 60, reading is unlikely beyond word recognition. Math is beyond their comprehension, as are the basic concepts associated with science. Also, they cannot understand the concept of money, a $20 will be just like a $1 to those folks.
I don't doubt that but those skills are beyond that of a toddler.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 09:36 PM
 
Location: Hoboken
19,891 posts, read 16,311,417 times
Reputation: 3123
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
As one who has worked extensively with the mentally retarded, and actually has an adult mentally retarded child, let me tell you that the person has little to no ability to determine that what they did was inappropriate.

At an IQ below 60, reading is unlikely beyond word recognition. Math is beyond their comprehension, as are the basic concepts associated with science. Also, they cannot understand the concept of money, a $20 will be just like a $1 to those folks.
Not to challenge you but for my own education, do you think this person knew right from wrong?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 09:59 PM
 
1,091 posts, read 3,296,296 times
Reputation: 1040
Quote:
Originally Posted by karfar View Post
I don't know about that, kids nowadays are very savvy on computers & they are getting younger & younger. My niece is only I think 7 & she knows her way around. Course I have no idea what her IQ is, I'm just going by what was posted on here regarding IQ level & age.

It doesn't matter how old you are; your IQ doesn't increase as you age. It'll be the same at seven as it will as an adult. IQ measures one's capacity to learn, not how much one knows.

Most of us here probably have IQs around 115-120, which is pretty average for Americans of our type (computer-literate).
70 is the threshold for mental retardation; an IQ of 47 is profoundly mentally retarded, and, as I stated previously, I seriously doubt the boy is even verbal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 10:13 PM
 
Location: Hoboken
19,891 posts, read 16,311,417 times
Reputation: 3123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
It doesn't matter how old you are; your IQ doesn't increase as you age. It'll be the same at seven as it will as an adult. IQ measures one's capacity to learn, not how much one knows.

Most of us here probably have IQs around 115-120, which is pretty average for Americans of our type (computer-literate).
70 is the threshold for mental retardation; an IQ of 47 is profoundly mentally retarded, and, as I stated previously, I seriously doubt the boy is even verbal.
Not that it really matters but the average American IQ is 100.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IQ_curve.svg

Some of you statements are demonstrably wrong please look at my links or look it up for yourself.

An IQ of 47 is not profoundly retarded, it is defined as moderately retarded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-12-2009, 10:17 PM
 
2,105 posts, read 1,194,980 times
Reputation: 636
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Not that it really matters but the average American IQ is 100.

File:IQ curve.svg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Some of you statements are demonstrably wrong please look at my links or look it up for yourself.

An IQ of 47 is not profoundly retarded, it is defined as moderately retarded.
That doesn't change the fact that we are locking up a retarded person for 100 years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top