Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 11:00 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,755,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ♠atizar♠ View Post
I wonder sometimes how some people get through normal life, you know, having real life (non-internet) debates or arguments with acquaintances, friends, coworkers, or relatives when they don't have links with them to "prove" what they say. Maybe we should all start carrying around text books and magazines, just in case we might happen to debate anything with anyone.
Most people in real life don't make things up. The internet is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

Fortunately I don't have to carry around text books I use my little old brain. But I find it is helpful to debunk the non sense one reads on the internet with, wait for it.....facts!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2009, 11:06 PM

1,091 posts, read 3,592,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
You are kidding right. Your own link says the studies are not valid. Please pull from you link anything that would support you statement.

The link explains that there are no organic differences in the brains of people of various races. It discounts claims by racist and white supremist groups which have used the discrepancies between the average IQs of various races to try and prove that there are organic or biological differences, or that one race is inherently smarter than or superior to another.

This does not change the fact that the graph in the article is accurate.
And that the median IQs of various races (blacks, whites, Native Americans, Asians) as well as various socioeconomic classes (affluent, middle-class, poor/disadvantaged) show marked discrepancies.
This is indisputable, and is not disputed by any legitimate authority.
What is in dispute is whether the IQ test itself is faulty/flawed/racist/classist/whatever, and- if not- then what other reasons there could be for this phenomenon.
The article gives a good overview of what those likely reasons are (health, environmental factors, etc).

Old 06-12-2009, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
The link explains that there are no organic differences in the brains of people of various races. It discounts claims by racist and white supremist groups which have used the discrepancies between the average IQs of various races to try and prove that there are organic or biological differences, or that one race is inherently smarter than or superior to another.

This does not change the fact that the graph in the article is accurate.
And that the median IQs of various races (blacks, whites, Native Americans, Asians) as well as various socioeconomic classes (affluent, middle-class, poor/disadvantaged) show marked discrepancies.
This is indisputable, and is not disputed by any legitimate authority.
What is in dispute is whether the IQ test itself is faulty/flawed/racist/classist/whatever, and- if not- then what other reasons there could be for this phenomenon.
The article gives a good overview of what those likely reasons are (health, environmental factors, etc).
OK so you can't substantiate your claim. It's OK.

If anyone cares to look at the graph look at the average IQ for whites.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:IQ...te-highres.png

Old 06-12-2009, 11:10 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,443,163 times
Quote:
Most people in real life don't make things up. The internet is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

Fortunately I don't have to carry around text books I use my little old brain. But I find it is helpful to debunk the non sense one reads on the internet with, wait for it.....facts!
Hah! Most people in RL don't make stuff up? What a laugh (comedy gold). I can't tell you how many bull**** stories I have heard from real life people. But hey, you go ahead and compartmentalize. Whatever works. Profound arrogance is all the rage, I hear.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Hah! Most people in RL don't make stuff up? What a laugh (comedy gold). I can't tell you how many bull**** stories I have heard from real life people. But hey, you go ahead and compartmentalize. Whatever works. Profound arrogance is all the rage, I hear.
My friend would you like to defend the assertions of Jane 72?

If you can't discern her statements are false, I question your ability to judge fact from fiction in real life.

And still none of this matters.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:15 PM

Quote:
OK so you can't substantiate your claim. It's OK.

My claim about median IQ scores?
Have you bothered (for the third time) to look at the graph in the link provided?
Or just look it up yourself, for heaven sake.
It's not a real controversial or extraordinary claim.
It's extremely well-established that those who are affluent, white, and male have median IQs around 115-120, while those who are not affluent, not white, and not male have lower IQs than that. In fact, those who are not affluent or white tend to have IQs well below 100. Well below 90. Well, well below.

None of this is even debatable.
It's an established fact.
What's debatable (and what is debated, in academic circles) is why.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:17 PM

2,104 posts, read 1,443,163 times
Quote:
My friend would you like to defend the assertions of Jane 72?

If you can't discern her statements are false, I question your ability to judge fact from fiction in real life.
Who appointed you as the all-seeing-eye? And I am certainly NOT your friend.

Get your nose out of the air and realize you're no better or wiser than anyone else here.

Good lord.

Really, your pedantry is not a desirable trait. This semantic obsession of yours has nothing to do with the OP, and just makes you look sillier and more aloof by the minute.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jane72 View Post
My claim about median IQ scores?
Have you bothered (for the third time) to look at the graph in the link provided?
Or just look it up yourself, for heaven sake.
It's not a real controversial or extraordinary claim.
It's extremely well-established that those who are affluent, white, and male have median IQs around 115-120, while those who are not affluent, not white, and not male have lower IQs than that. In fact, those who are not affluent or white tend to have IQs well below 100. Well below 90. Well, well below.

None of this is even debatable.
It's an established fact.
What's debatable (and what is debated, in academic circles) is why.
Yikes I posted your graph and it shows no such thing. Please if it so established and beyond debate post something more authoritative than Wikipedia.

Again you continue to move the goal posts now it is affluent white males. That is a new parameter.

By the way it still doesn't matter.

Last edited by shorebaby; 06-12-2009 at 11:29 PM..

Old 06-12-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Yikes I posted you graph and it shows no such thing. Please if it so established and beyond debate post something more authoritative than Wikipedia.

Again you continue to move the goal posts now it is affluent white males. That is a new parameter.

By the way it still doesn't matter.

The gender discrepancies are slight. A matter of a couple of points one way or the other.
The real gaps are between races and socio-economic classes, and I've never "moved the goalposts"; I've said so from the beginning.

Old 06-12-2009, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Who appointed you as the all-seeing-eye? And I am certainly NOT your friend.

Get your nose out of the air and realize you're no better or wiser than anyone else here.

Good lord.

Really, your pedantry is not a desirable trait. This semantic obsession of yours has nothing to do with the OP, and just makes you look sillier and more aloof by the minute.
Eh, it is 1:22 in the morning I have nothing better to do.

And still no support.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies