Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2009, 11:05 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
LoL Thanks Guess I should turn my back on the children that the state as . Just so I dont know this women Yeah ok thats good for the children
While I appreciate your attempt at sarcasm, all you've done is try to label thousands of people based on 3 people that you know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2009, 11:07 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
While I appreciate your attempt at sarcasm, all you've done is try to label thousands of people based on 3 people that you know.
I only used those 3 as an example . Now whats the big deal about trying to put some steps in there to prevent abuse of them happening?

Old 07-02-2009, 11:18 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,378,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jadex View Post
I only used those 3 as an example . Now whats the big deal about trying to put some steps in there to prevent abuse of them happening?
No you tried to say that everyone on food stamps is like those 3 people.

If you know that they're lying and abusing the system, report them. Call the agency. If the rep doesn't give you a satisfactory answer to your concern, ask to speak to a manager. Take down all their names. If you still don't get a satisfactory response, take it to your local media. The media loves stories about people abusing the system so I'm sure they'll jump all over it.

On the other hand have you ever said to those people "why don't you stop lying and abusing the system?"

Old 07-02-2009, 11:23 AM

9,644 posts, read 9,847,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
No you tried to say that everyone on food stamps is like those 3 people.

If you know that they're lying and abusing the system, report them. Call the agency. If the rep doesn't give you a satisfactory answer to your concern, ask to speak to a manager. Take down all their names. If you still don't get a satisfactory response, take it to your local media. The media loves stories about people abusing the system so I'm sure they'll jump all over it.

On the other hand have you ever said to those people "why don't you stop lying and abusing the system?"

No I dont believe I did. I have said many many times that I dont mind helping those trying to help themselves that mothers working or trying to go to school families that need help spouse got laid off , Seniors those unable to work. All should get food stamps.

I have called on them even called dept of children and family does nothing. Now what? I have told her that she is committing a crime she doesnt feel so because they allowed her to get away with it.

Now whats so wrong with wanting to find some safe guards to prevent fraud?

Old 07-02-2009, 11:39 AM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times
Food Stamps are part of the Farm Program, If we didn't give them to the poor we would prolly have to give them to a foreign country to buy our farm exports. I don't know if any one here is old enough remember "commodities' up to the seventies I remember families used to go to a county warehouse and get loaded up on food for free, we used to tease them and call them the 'Com-mod-squad', it had to get expensive for the government to be in the food processing business. simply put there is too much food in America, and as farmers farm more technology it will just get worse. The statistics just out on obesity illustrates how much food we have at our disposal. The problem is turning that excess food into Money and Jobs, Makes you wonder what percentage of wal-mart food purchases are done with Government Money, they did start out in the poorest part of the country.

Old 07-03-2009, 02:58 PM

12,642 posts, read 15,600,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post

Someone in this country who finishes high school, doesn't start popping out the babies before they have finished their education, obtained a job, job skills, works hard and delays starting a family until they can afford a family generally doesn't end up on food stamps and welfare handouts.

lol...What an incredible assumption...

I digress....you should ALSO talk to some HOMELESS people....lol

Old 07-03-2009, 04:16 PM

12,460 posts, read 20,090,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LML View Post
And are you complaining because their kids are going to private schools and traveling to europe paid for with YOUR TAX MONEY? Heck no.
As with anything government related things get abused, but the so called "bailout" has not gone to individuals. It has gone to support the banking system, which if not done we may all be on food stamps right now.

Old 07-03-2009, 05:22 PM

12,963 posts, read 13,679,366 times
If you see a person standing out side your house in the rain, and you come out and hand them an umbrella, that's what food stamps are, they don't stop someone from being poor and it dosent sovle the problem of poverty . food is so cheap in America, who cares as long as its not wasted.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:05 PM
LML

7,100 posts, read 9,112,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by user_id View Post
As with anything government related things get abused, but the so called "bailout" has not gone to individuals. It has gone to support the banking system, which if not done we may all be on food stamps right now.
Exactly what do you think those banks, insurance companies, and investment firms are using to pay those huge salaries and bonuses that are providing that great lifestyle so enjoyed by those individuals? Yep the bailout paid for with YOUR TAX DOLLARS. Without that bailout these birds would be unemployed.

Old 07-03-2009, 06:27 PM

3,387 posts, read 6,628,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xavier1774 View Post
Is there anyway we can report food stamps / lone star card abuse to an agency?
I ask because here in the Houston area we have a large influx of people from the middle east and I guess Pakistan in recent years. on 3 occasions at the grocery store I saw women of middle east or Pakistani decent who had more jewelry and gold than Ft. Knox, the latest iphone, the very expensive purses (my wife pointed that out to me) buying tons of stuff on the lone star card...Don't give me the crap about maybe they just lost their job...when I went into the parking lot, I saw on 2 of the 3 occasions these women loading 2 carts worth of groceries in a brand new land cruiser and on the other in a Lincoln navigator!

Some foster parents are given an amount of FS to buy food for their foster kids, regardless of their personal income. If the family had FS before the kids went into foster care, the FS go to the kids while they are in foster care.

Or how do you know that she was not buying groceries for a ill/disabled family member with their card?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies