Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If You Won A $100 Million Dollar Jack Pot Lottery, Would You Still Continue To Shop At Wal-Mart And
YES 104 75.91%
NO 33 24.09%
Voters: 137. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2009, 09:32 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,799,372 times

Advertisements

If I had sold my IRA I would have lost much more money than I have spent on Lottery tickets. If I ever win I will still shop at Target but not Wal-mart and continue to buy used cars. However I would find or build a small house with a huge garage after I got back from traveling the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 09:33 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
I currently shop at both Target and Saks. It's possible to shop at both places, you know. I also buy my meat at the local butcher, bread from a local bakery, and my produce at the local produce stand.

Does the fact that I buy most of my groceries locally make me a snotty limousine liberal? By buying your food at Walmart, you are actually not supporting your community.
Nope, not a single cent of sales tax from Wal-mart shoppers goes to the local government. Nor do local vendors (ie. route drivers) derive a portion of their sales (income) from Wal-mart. Not to mention the plethora of private label products that are produced right there in your town with its own shelf space. Nope. None of that. Wal-mart is greedy greedy greedy and the community suffers immensely for it. The anti-Walmart bandwagon is a total joke.

But don't take my word for it:

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008...wn-produce.php

Last edited by AeroGuyDC; 07-15-2009 at 09:45 AM..

Old 07-15-2009, 09:37 AM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,845,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
This just shows brainless selfishness and greed... the key motivators of most "conservatives".
I like how you don't quote me with name, so you won't be making a personal attack. I might have to use that tactic. what my comment does show, is honesty. also, please define the word greed. I am unfamiliar with that word.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:38 AM

16,294 posts, read 28,538,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Nope, not a single cent of sales tax from Wal-mart shoppers goes to the local government. Nor do local vendors derive a portion of their sales (income) from Wal-mart. Nope. None of that. Wal-mart is greedy greedy greedy and the community suffers immensely for it.
Yes it does, just more wal-mart hate fear mongering

Old 07-15-2009, 09:44 AM

23,838 posts, read 23,131,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Yes it does, just more wal-mart hate fear mongering
Did you not sense my sarcasm?

Old 07-15-2009, 09:48 AM

769 posts, read 887,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Nope, not a single cent of sales tax from Wal-mart shoppers goes to the local government. Nor do local vendors (ie. route drivers) derive a portion of their sales (income) from Wal-mart. Not to mention the plethora of private label products that are produced right there in your town with its own shelf space. Nope. None of that. Wal-mart is greedy greedy greedy and the community suffers immensely for it.

But don't take my word for it:

Wal-Mart Now US' Largest Buyer Of Locally Grown Produce : TreeHugger

Nor does Wal-Mart actually supply any jobs. haha

I know people will content this with saying how terrible Wal-Mart jobs are like they are of sweat shop quality. It is my understanding that you need no pre-requisites to move up in Wal-Mart. 20 years of hard work is all you need to be considered for any upper management position. Try to find that else where. As for the wages as a cashier, no offense but it really shouldn't be a very high paying job.

PS-I caught it Aero.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:50 AM

11,078 posts, read 15,084,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Feathers View Post
Typical simple minded liberal Hint: you are way off. My tastes tend to be wordly & eccentric.

As for Fox news, do you pretend that everything is "fake" simply because you do not agree with it? I know this is the teaching of The Secret, to delude one's self... but come on - open your eyes man.
LMAO...typical right winger with a reading comprehension problem.READ MY STATUS LINE....IT'S FOR PEOPLE LIKE YOU

Old 07-15-2009, 09:52 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,226,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
I still would because I do not want to become one of those stuck up limousine liberal millionaire snobs who look down on people who shop at Wal-Mart and Target.
I love these two stores, So i might buy more filet's then ground chuck, but I would shop them because i love the stores

Old 07-15-2009, 10:07 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,635,477 times
If I won 100 million I'd be able to make my garden bigger!! Right now it only supplements our food, but it would be nice to have more. I do raised bed gardening since I'm on the beach and the soil is too sandy to grow, and equipment can be expensive.

I buy nearly everything at locally owned stores... food is purchased at Farmers market, the bakery and the butcher. I don't do processed junk..ick. The nearest Target and Walmart are 45 minutes away, so I go to neither, although I do order off of target.com every once in a while.

But, I did have a conversation a long time ago with a friend about this topic and he had two ideas. 1) Lambourghini demolition derby 2) Train a lot of chihuahuas to be very aggressive and then let them roam about his property.. call them 'land sharks'.

Old 07-15-2009, 10:12 AM

5,094 posts, read 5,441,800 times
Hell yeah I LOVE Target and I can't see paying 50% MORE for the same thing simple because I have it in a Macy's bag. Now that is not to say that there are somethings I won't buy at Target (my hand bags) only because I am a snotty biatch about those but other then that, I am a Targetahollic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies