Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2007, 12:09 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,721,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
propaganda and news. Interesting.

One thing in this country which is so tiresome is the car issue. Everyone has to drive everywhere- no walking anywhere-

Another American obsession. People where I live still drive monstrous trucks and some kind of Navigator - at least once a day I cant see around the d--- thing- it must cause accidents. I mean everyone went through this when they were teenagers, in their twenties- does anyone ever get over it? In Europe people drive smaller cars, and even if they have money, the car is not an ultimate symbol like it seems to be here. When did all that start?

To quote my wife: "Can you say compensation?!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2007, 01:56 PM

800 posts, read 4,298,750 times
I guess I'm the opposite of most Americans. I want less material possessions. I live in a small, modest home. There's just the two of us, so it works just fine. Our mortgage is almost paid off My car is paid off and my husband's car is almost paid off. We have no debt other than mortgage and my husband's car. We pay off our credit cards monthly. We have money saved for retirement.

But, we're only 35 We have no kids, so our priorities are different. We prefer experiences versus material things. So, we like to travel. I enjoy taking classes. We enjoy the simple things in life: walking on the beach, watching sunrise/set, nature walks, etc. We don't define ourselves according to what we wear, drive, or where we live

We accumulated some things in our 20's, but are working towards reducing our possessions significantly. We're actually going to downsize even more for our move to CA, since most likely we'll be moving to a 2 bedroom condo LOL to begin with...

But, if others want to have material things, that is great. It's just that different people have different values. I guess my own issue with material wealth is when those who have it don't see it as an opportunity to help others who are less fortunate. I think of Bill Gates and Oprah Winfrey and others who are wealthy who help others...That is awesome

So, no, I don't lie in bed at night stressing or worrying over keepin' up with the Joneses. As I've said before on these forums, we're not the Joneses...We're a punk rock/rockabilly/surf/skater/biker family with two college degrees, a non-perfect lawn, and organic food stocked in cupboards and refrigerator LOL Hee hee!

Old 04-24-2007, 02:06 PM

2,970 posts, read 2,260,077 times
I read a study and to be brief it basically said that when people get something new, something they have been wanting badly for a long time, whether a new car, house, piece of equipment, whatever, that their happiness and satisifaction level goes up for a short while (a few days to a few weeks) but eventually this increased "happiness" levels off and we all go back to our baseline. It makes one wonder. . . I try to always keep my car for 10 years (Clark Howard-the "Consumer Warriors" rule of thumb). And there are times when I am tempted to break the rule (right now my car is 6 years old) But then I remember I have already made the decision to keep it for 10 years so I don't let emotions rule. And then when the time is up I can buy a new one gulit free! It also makes me careful to do my research and by a car that is going to hold up well!

Old 04-24-2007, 02:12 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spunky1 View Post
I read a study and to be brief it basically said that when people get something new, something they have been wanting badly for a long time, whether a new car, house, piece of equipment, whatever, that their happiness and satisifaction level goes up for a short while (a few days to a few weeks) but eventually this increased "happiness" levels off and we all go back to our baseline. It makes one wonder. . . I try to always keep my car for 10 years (Clark Howard-the "Consumer Warriors" rule of thumb). And there are times when I am tempted to break the rule (right now my car is 6 years old) But then I remember I have already made the decision to keep it for 10 years so I don't let emotions rule. And then when the time is up I can buy a new one gulit free! It also makes me careful to do my research and by a car that is going to hold up well!

I've also read studies that say once people have a basic level of necessities, food, housing, clothes, heat, etc., rarely does 'more stuff' add markedly to their happiness.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:15 PM

341 posts, read 1,487,309 times
It is found in other places besides America. Been there. Seen it. Done that.

I prefer changes. Not always looking for bigger & better. Just changes.

Old 04-24-2007, 02:18 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
To paraphrase one of my favorite lines from a Don Henley song:

"How many hearses have you seen with a luggage rack?"

Old 04-24-2007, 03:06 PM

1,507 posts, read 5,908,523 times
Default Jabez

Did one little man named Jabez pray of more?

Dear Lord bless me and bless me a lot?

Old 04-25-2007, 12:37 AM

202 posts, read 834,018 times
It's all a matter of what is important to you. In my case, My husband and I don't want children,we only have one car, we hardly eat out or shop for clothes at the trendy places and we have a nice little home and we both only work three days a week. So in turn, we have more time to be home together with our dogs and our garden.
I would rather be home and not be a slave to working a 9-5 job.
If we wanted all of the bigger,better, keeping up with the Jones type stuff, than we would never be able to be home to enjoy our life.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:11 AM

4,279 posts, read 10,364,011 times
I am, for the most part satisfied with my lot. I don't want a big house, just something that I can easily take care of, plus I'll be the one cleaning it! I love my truck which is bought and paid for, same with the bike.
I am also in the marketing field ... the evil one who designs all those tempting ads and brochures. Personally I think in today's world it is too easy to use plastic without thinking just how much it is actually going to cost you in the long run. Credit is dished out like candy. Not many people I know actually save up for anything anymore. Most of us seem to want it and want it now. There is no satisfaction after the purchase.
Not to sound corny, but I think we are products of our own greed. It's all about work and the bottom line, everything is open 24 hrs, the T.V has replaced parenting (in many cases, but not all).
Sometimes I can't believe how fast technology is. One minute I'm with it and the next lost.
I stopped and smelled the roses a while back. It's like a big breath of fresh air. I set lots of goals and achieved them ... then what? Life is too short. I put the brakes on hard. I really don't care if I don't have the latest fashion, the newest vehicle, the most up-to-date gadget. I love what I have, but it is not as precious as the people in my life. If the house burned down tomorrow, yes I would be upset but as long as my family were ok, that's all that matters.

Keeping up with the Jones ... nahhhh, I'd rather be living and loving life with the Smiths.

Mr. Hoosier, sounds like you're tapping those brakes my friend. Good for you.

Last edited by tet tea; 04-25-2007 at 01:21 AM..

Old 04-25-2007, 03:11 AM

606 posts, read 699,421 times
everybody thinks in the same way
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies