Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 04:58 AM

1,608 posts, read 9,747,514 times

Advertisements

It doesn't matter how much someone has, they almost always want me. That's what keeps you going and trying harder. If you thought you had it all and didn't want to anything more there wouldn't be much reason to keep trying very hard. Wanting more is a good motivator to try harder in life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 07:51 AM

23,018 posts, read 34,390,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWingsFan View Post
It doesn't matter how much someone has, they almost always want me. That's what keeps you going and trying harder. If you thought you had it all and didn't want to anything more there wouldn't be much reason to keep trying very hard. Wanting more is a good motivator to try harder in life.
Not for me, I am very happy with what I have, in fact sometimes I think I have too much, I'm down sizing. I'm not motivated by things or wanting more things.
I've learned there is nothing in this world that give me real true happiness, yes things are nice and there is nothing wrong with wanting nice things and working toward having nicer things, but only Jesus can give true lasting peace and joy.

Old 04-25-2007, 09:07 AM

2,976 posts, read 13,376,479 times
No I don't feel this way because I don' get suckered into the bigger-is-better, conspicous consumption, I want what they have syndrome.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:23 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
Default good for you-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhlcomp View Post
No I don't feel this way because I don' get suckered into the bigger-is-better, conspicous consumption, I want what they have syndrome.
I agree. The above post may be younger. Age 25 everyone thinks a car is their identity

IMO it is tiresome- find something spiritual. I was interested to see you are in S Florida-lol- one of the big reasons we left. Everyone had the same identical Lexus SUV- so boring.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:29 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,833,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
I have a nice house in a good neighborhood. I have two great cars. I have food in the cupboards, refrigerator and freezers.

If the above is so true, what am I so unsatisifed? I want more! I want a bigger house with a private bathroom for my wife and I. My cars are fine, paid off and in great condition, but I'd love a new truck! I would love to have my very own truck. And food, we have so much food, yet there is never anything to eat so I head out the door to pick up food at a local restaurant.

While the above is true about me, why is this so prevalent in the American society today? Why are we so obsessed with bigger is better. Give me more stuff! I blame it on effective marketing and advertising. You'll note in another thread that I am in the marketing field.

I blame it on living in suburbia and having all the conveniences at our fingertips. When I was away from the city for a few days I didn't think about all the "stuff" I wanted (not needed). No billboards screaming at me to buy this product or watching tv and being with restaurant ads, new toys for me.

I'm tired of wanting and buying things. It's exhausting! No really, have you ever felt mentally exhausted when you don't have what you think you should have?

Have you ever felt this way before?

Hoosier... the only way to achieve satisfaction is to be at peace with God through His Son Jesus Christ.

I tell you... you have $1 million you will want $2 million. You may have a hot wife and a great job and car, then you will want a wife and two girlfriends and two more cars and a boat. It NEVER stops.... humans are NEVER satisfied because they cannot find satisfaction in material things.

Mankind cannot find satisfaction within... the only way you will be truly satisfied within yourself is to have God fullfil the void.

Remember: if money and possesions made people happy, then Hollywood would be the happiest place on Earth. But as we all know, it is the most un-happy place, full of divorce, hate, and even murder.... all because they don't know Christ.

Old 04-25-2007, 01:09 PM

341 posts, read 1,487,309 times
Hi. PMS here. And I've just slurped the last sip of my carmel mocha frappacino. AND I WANT MORE! NOW NOW NOW!

Old 04-25-2007, 02:07 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,786,110 times
Quote:
Hoosier_Guy: I'm tired of wanting and buying things. It's exhausting! No really, have you ever felt mentally exhausted when you don't have what you think you should have? Have you ever felt this way before?

I'm content in who I am, but those things do come back from time to time. Things really don't mean much. I learned that when I was lying on a table in the hospital 2 years ago. They thought I was having a heart attack at age 38. It was scary...but only because I realized where I was putting my time and energy...into stuff. Gaining those ever popular "world possessions"! Bad thing is you have to leave them all here when your time is up.

Travel'r: Her [his sister's] every breath, aside from complaining about the job she hates, regards something she's bought, is buying, intends to buy. Same broken record. Every single day. Truly feel sorry for her.

Angel Bear: So, no, I don't lie in bed at night stressing or worrying over keepin' up with the Joneses. As I've said before on these forums, we're not the Joneses...We're a punk rock/rockabilly/surf/skater/biker family with two college degrees, a non-perfect lawn, and organic food stocked in cupboards and refrigerator LOL Hee hee!

Nirvana Guy: It NEVER stops.... humans are NEVER satisfied because they cannot find satisfaction in material things.
Interesting thread. Gosh, Hoosier_Guy, I wouldn't have taken you to be desiring all those things -- I'm surprised.

And Travel'r, I have a sister (I don't have a brother, so they must be different people) who is just like that, too. I feel sorry for my sister who strives to get more and more and more and more and never seems to feel satisfied. Each acquisition seems to propel her to acquire even more -- and the jealousy she feels when others have more -- I just don't know how people can feel like that. It's exhausting just listening to the litany of things she has purchased, the money they have, the new car, the clothes, etc., etc. My eyes glaze over after awhile and I just zone out -- I can't focus on that stuff.

Angel Bear -- congratulations at such a young age to be so wise!

And Nivana Guy, I totally agree.

For me, it really comes down to quality of friends and surroundings. I find pleasure in little things and I always have. I've felt grateful over the years that I have not been burning with desire for things. In fact, as Hoosier_Guy said, I absolutely frequently think about death and dying, and I absolutely know that the great SUV, or new couch, or designer clothes are NOT going with you when you die!! It just seems so pointless to accummulate things just for the sake of having things.

I really don't even notice my "stuff," generally. I like to have a few objects around that I get pleasure out of noticing -- like some pretty pieces of glass and paperweights, or a small vase of flowers from my garden. I don't spend much money on myself -- normally, I am quite happy to treat myself to some bubble bath or bath salts, or a piece of chocolate, or something small.

I actually more enjoy seeing beautiful nature, laughing with friends, seeing new sights and all the stimulation that affords, and enjoying my daughter (even though she is a teen! ). But I've always been like that.

I remember that even as a kid I would stand and stare at a beautiful silhouette of trees against an evening sunset sky, and be in awe. I would point it out to the family and ask them to admire it, too. I spent a lot of time in church ( Wisteria attended church a lot???? ), although the rest of the family did not attend, but I loved the silence of a church, and the peacefulness I felt, and the lovely music. My mother once told me that if they had Protestant nuns, I would have been one!!

So, for me, it seems to just be my nature.

Old 04-25-2007, 02:53 PM

1,703 posts, read 5,143,844 times
Man you guys all must surely be a heck of a lot more mature than me.
I surely does admire all dem wise comments.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:05 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,985,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
I have a nice house in a good neighborhood. I have two great cars. I have food in the cupboards, refrigerator and freezers.
If the above is so true, what am I so unsatisifed? I want more! I want a bigger house with a private bathroom for my wife and I. My cars are fine, paid off and in great condition, but I'd love a new truck! I would love to have my very own truck. And food, we have so much food, yet there is never anything to eat so I head out the door to pick up food at a local restaurant.
While the above is true about me, why is this so prevalent in the American society today? Why are we so obsessed with bigger is better. Give me more stuff! I blame it on effective marketing and advertising. You'll note in another thread that I am in the marketing field.
I blame it on living in suburbia and having all the conveniences at our fingertips. When I was away from the city for a few days I didn't think about all the "stuff" I wanted (not needed). No billboards screaming at me to buy this product or watching tv and being with restaurant ads, new toys for me.
I'm tired of wanting and buying things. It's exhausting! No really, have you ever felt mentally exhausted when you don't have what you think you should have?
Have you ever felt this way before?
I think it is a natural feeling overcome only with some rational thought and perhaps some applied wisdom. As I've gotten older I have learned that:
1) Happiness does not come from material items - If that wasn't the case, then why is it that there are so many athletes, celebrities, and world leaders who literally have more money then they can spend - but so many of them are still unhappy (turning to drugs, alcohol, and other vices for relief).

2) the best memories I have as a child are of things my family did together - not about what my parents bought me,

3) on one's deathbed I doubt highly anyone thinks about the things they wished they bought nor about how they wish they had worked longer hours

4) no matter what you obtain, with a critical eye everything has a flaw in it, indeed nothing is perfect. If you are seeking materialistic perfection, you will find yourself continuously disappointed.

Old 04-25-2007, 03:51 PM

206 posts, read 939,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Bear View Post
I guess I'm the opposite of most Americans. I want less material possessions. I live in a small, modest home. There's just the two of us, so it works just fine. Our mortgage is almost paid off My car is paid off and my husband's car is almost paid off. We have no debt other than mortgage and my husband's car. We pay off our credit cards monthly. We have money saved for retirement.

But, we're only 35 We have no kids, so our priorities are different. We prefer experiences versus material things. So, we like to travel. I enjoy taking classes. We enjoy the simple things in life: walking on the beach, watching sunrise/set, nature walks, etc. We don't define ourselves according to what we wear, drive, or where we live

We accumulated some things in our 20's, but are working towards reducing our possessions significantly. We're actually going to downsize even more for our move to CA, since most likely we'll be moving to a 2 bedroom condo LOL to begin with...

But, if others want to have material things, that is great. It's just that different people have different values. I guess my own issue with material wealth is when those who have it don't see it as an opportunity to help others who are less fortunate. I think of Bill Gates and Oprah Winfrey and others who are wealthy who help others...That is awesome

So, no, I don't lie in bed at night stressing or worrying over keepin' up with the Joneses. As I've said before on these forums, we're not the Joneses...We're a punk rock/rockabilly/surf/skater/biker family with two college degrees, a non-perfect lawn, and organic food stocked in cupboards and refrigerator LOL Hee hee!
I couldn't agree w/ you more. I don't work (we have a 2nd grader) my hubby works 14 days a month, so we get to spend a lot of time together. It's common where we live for both parents to work and commute, kids go home alone do whatever they want unsupervised. Relationships suffer, families suffer when they only spend time together a few hours on the weekends. But these families do live in great big houses and drive brand new expensive cars, but never get to be together. I'll take living life over making payments any day!!!!! Life is way too short not to live it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies