Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 07:58 PM

1,247 posts, read 927,096 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Pressure can only exist in a closed environment. I think it's pretty easy to just let the pressure from 'our culture' blow harmlessly away.
On an individual level, that's easy to say. So many people on this forum are claiming they're immune to consumerism. My experience tells me that's not true. People are refusing to admit the truth to themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2007, 08:00 PM

982 posts, read 3,307,811 times
Quote:
Pressure can only exist in a closed environment.
And if you're not part of the problem, you're part of the precipitate....

Old 04-25-2007, 08:05 PM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
On an individual level, that's easy to say. So many people on this forum are claiming they're immune to consumerism. My experience tells me that's not true. People are refusing to admit the truth to themselves.

I'm not really sure I undrstand exactly what is meant by consumerism.

Myself, I happen to like motorcycles, I have more than one. I enjoy riding, a good ride is like a mini-vacation. But one bike or twenty, old beaters or all brand new, I don't think I'm going to change or my life is going to change because of that. The one VERY valuable thing about bikes is they keep me off the golf course

Old 04-25-2007, 08:08 PM

982 posts, read 3,307,811 times
Quote:
You can't drive more than 5 miles without being immersed. You can't read 5 pages of your newspaper without being immersed. I could go on, but you probably get my point.
I do get your point. What I'm trying to say is that our perceptions are different, and that's something under our control.

Quote:
Stereotype? Consumerism IS our culture.
Every human being on the planet is a consumer, every economy in the world is based on consumerism. Casting it in a negative light is a stereotype.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:09 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,786,110 times
Quote:
I do want things...nice things. I guess wouldn't everyone truly like nice things, versus not-so-nice things?
Quote:
I don't think the problem is wanting things, the problem is believing 'things' are somehow going to fundamentally change your life.
I am not a good person to really answer these kinds of questions about consumerism nor material objects. I honestly just don't feel that way -- I never felt that way, and I did not have to try to convince myself to be a certain way, so I just never dealt with this issue on a personal level.

Nice things are okay, I guess -- I mean, things look nice and stuff, and it's nice to be in a pretty place indoors. I am not the kind of person who really looks at things and sees "nice," or "not so nice." I'm kind of blind to that stuff. Oh, if I go into a house and it's totally trashed, well, obviously I'll notice that. But I really don't always notice what people have, and I don't know famous brand names, nor do I read magazines or watch tv commercials about the biggest and best. I didn't even get a television until I was 38!! I just never watched it -- I only got one when my dad visited me in Colorado and was shocked that I didn't own a tv, and he went out and got me one. I didn't get cable until last year when all the television stations were no longer transmitting where I live -- I had to break down for that because I do like to see the news, and a few other things. I just went without a lot of that for absolutely decades. I don't even own a cell phone!

I also never got into curtains, and cars and all of that. I live in a country-style home in the woods. It's fine for me. I have a big yard and a dog and three cats. I have a great 17-year-old daughter who is responsible, generous and an honor student, and we actually enjoy hanging out together -- although she understands that I am her mother, and her peers are her friends.

I rarely look at any magazines that promote fashion, have photoshopped models, and try to sell all those cosmetics, clothes, and jewelry. I am rarely influenced by advertising (unless I'm comparison shopping for something) -- I just have my own style of acquiring things.

So, I guess that I already know that fundamentally that they are not going to change my life -- or my basic personality. Oh, sure, it'd be nice to have more money because being a single parent is very, very difficult and expensive for one person on a lower income. Yet, I do own my own home, I am very good at budgeting, I love to cook and cook most things from scratch, and I'm pretty good at finding deals. I only use credit cards for emergencies -- I never used them for restaurants or clothes or things like that.

My daughter doesn't even get an allowance, and she is in the process of looking for a part-time job. I realize that I am the anomaly in the typical U.S. population, but that's okay with me because most of my friends have similar values. I truly do not have those feelings of wanting bigger and better things -- I would much rather spend money on a trip someplace or for an experience. In my mind (as strange as it can be), I take to heart that I cannot take objects with me when I die, although my experiences and interactions with others will. I also know that when I reflect on my favorite times that I've had over my life, I cannot think of one time that an object received or bought is involved. My memories of good things come from my various friends, things we did together, times with my daughter, travels I've had, seeing new things. Most of anything I can think of that I sincerely treasure has to do with an experience, not an object.

But that is just me. I'm not any goody two shoes, it just really is how I am. Now, of course, I would not fit in well with people who are achieving so hard to get things -- like my sister is difficult for me to deal with because I just cannot relate to the desperate need to acquire things, and she, in turn, can't understand or tolerate well my lack of desire to do so.

I have a comfortable home, I eat good food, I do appreciate exploring nature and cities, and I love just hanging out and laughing. I wish I could pay off my bills more easily, but fortunately I don't get into debt beyond my necessities because I'm not prone to do that.

I think that each person is different and what makes one person happy is different from another. However, I do think it is good in the end to realize that objects are limited, they won't go with you when you die, and what you leave behind in terms of your family, friends, and other personal interactions will live much longer in the hearts of others than mundane objects.

So, I think we kind of drift to our own kinds of people and friends. People who are into achieving a lot of things probably would not be comfortable with me, and those whose self-worth is defined by what they own, I don't feel comfortable with. On the flip side, not all wealthy people show their wealth.

I have known a number of millionaires on a personal level, however, they were more the millionaires next door -- they don't flaunt it (even those who are well-known), they are generous, and usually they have some strong spiritual side that seems to be more important to them. Having money to them is often a side effect of a business that happened to get big by surprise, or a large inheritance, or some other serendipitous reason. Money is merely icing on the cake. But again, I am from a different generation when money wasn't the goal, it was the effect of efforts in fields that people were in just because they wanted to be there. Many people of my generation are still hippies at heart, even if they are not hippies now. Maybe it's a generational thing -- I don't know.

Anyway, that is part of my story. I'm sure others have better things to add, because I don't think I'm doing so well at explaining myself on this topic.

Thanks!!

Old 04-25-2007, 08:14 PM

322 posts, read 1,234,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
a triple peppermint mocha, non-fat, no whip
See...I don't even know what this is!! Is this a coffee?? I don't drink coffee and we don't have all those fancy coffee places so forgive my ignorance, but truthfully...I have NO idea what this is!!! SIMPLE life!!! But I DO drive a big-a$$ truck!!

Old 04-25-2007, 08:24 PM

3,570 posts, read 8,721,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cold_eh_ND View Post
See...I don't even know what this is!! Is this a coffee?? I don't drink coffee and we don't have all those fancy coffee places so forgive my ignorance, but truthfully...I have NO idea what this is!!! SIMPLE life!!! But I DO drive a big-a$$ truck!!
I want a truck!! Yes, it is a foo-foo coffee drink from Starbucks. It's way too expensive, but I treat myself occassionally. It's chocolate, espresso, milk and peppermint flavoring. I love peppermint and it is the only kind I will get. I do enjoy coffee.

Old 04-25-2007, 08:36 PM

322 posts, read 1,234,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosier_guy View Post
I want a truck!! Yes, it is a foo-foo coffee drink from Starbucks. It's way too expensive, but I treat myself occassionally. It's chocolate, espresso, milk and peppermint flavoring. I love peppermint and it is the only kind I will get. I do enjoy coffee.
Up here diving a truck is not really a fashion statement...it's more of a neccessity...so we pretty much all drive big-a$$ trucks... They sell for a dime a dozen here. Especially the Chevy's since everyone and their kid has one. I will state that the younger kids...16 to 20ish drive them for fashion....you can tell since they're all 'suped' up...not like your typical pimp ride though...more like the 'redneck' ride...big tires, staright piped for the loud roar. Up here we'd rather pay the $70 for a tank of gas than get stuck in 8 feet of snow. Other than our prized trucks....people up here live that simple country life...farming.

Old 04-25-2007, 11:48 PM

2,800 posts, read 10,010,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote_Blond View Post
It is found in other places besides America. Been there. Seen it. Done that.

I prefer changes. Not always looking for bigger & better. Just changes.
This is my sentiments exactly. I don't need bigger and better. I just always need something different! I just can't stand everything the same for very long...gets BORING!

Old 04-26-2007, 09:37 AM

1,247 posts, read 927,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I'm not really sure I undrstand exactly what is meant by consumerism.
We, as a society, are impatient and focus on self gratification. That's the driving force behind this consumerism.

mrengle, yes, all humans are consumers, but not all humans are consumers like Americans are consumers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies