Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 08:47 AM
obo

916 posts, read 986,473 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by groar View Post
so..... how many leftist protestors (or leftists period) killed people in incidents like these during the 8 years of the bush administration?

2 Shot Inside DC Holocaust Museum (http://www.myfoxdc.com/dpp/news/061009_2_shot_inside_dc_holocaust_museum - broken link)

3 Pittsburgh Police Officers Shot Dead; Alleged Gunman Arrested - Allegheny County News Story - WTAE Pittsburgh

hell, the holocaust museum shooter is a birther! but that ideology's not dangerous at all, no....

during the clinton administration there was an armed right-wing militia movement (and the oklahoma city bombing, among other things). the militia rhetoric on right-wing radio is coming back; i'm not sure if the militias are. but some protestors overturning a dumpster is *totally* comparable!

and saying obama is in no more danger than bush completely ignores the fact that death threats have increased exponentially.
Please tell us how exactly you know this? I think you're just making things up AGAIN!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 08:51 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,507,138 times
I have more important things to concern me than some stupid politician. So no, I'm not concerned in the least.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:52 AM
obo

916 posts, read 986,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoli View Post
One of the most disgusting things I've read.

again.
Good, I'm glad you liked it. The truth hurts you people pretty badly eh?

Old 08-04-2009, 08:52 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,711,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cleanhouse View Post
When did Conservatives rule? You should study ideologies and political science. Search your Soul.. what a joke answer. Barack Obama is a puppet and you are under a some form of hypnosis. Its really pathetic the stock you put in a politican who could give two ****s about you.
I don't really understand your post. I don't believe Obama cares about me or anything like that. I suspect you're projecting here. I was simply observing the actions and rhetoric ramping up and saw the potential for it to reach a boiling point.

To answer your question, people who self-identify as conservative voted for Bush twice and put in power a Congress for several from 2000 through 2006 dominated by what is today the conservative party.

If that is not true conservatism (and I would argue it is not), it nevertheless is the political actions that conservatives chose to represent themselves not once but many times.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:53 AM

1,065 posts, read 1,756,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Even though all economic indicators suggest that things beginning to improve, the right wing media seems to be ratcheting up the propagana and lies about Obama's policies (for example, completely misinterpreting a small section of the bill as "death care").

Followers are crashing town hall meetings and basically getting whipped into a frenzy like they were during the campaign when they were yelling things like "terrorist" and "kill him" at rallies before the McCain campaign stepped back on the rhetoric that was whipping people into such a frenzy.

One heavily armed woman scouted out a military base to plan a terrorist attack against it because Glenn Beck convinced her it was a FEMA camp.

I realize Clinton faced the same irrational fear before going down as one of the most successful presidents, but I'm increasingly concerned Obama won't survive long enough to reach that point.
What an abysmally ignorant post.

The left hated George W Bush and put out ten times the propaganda and lies that the right has put out about Obama. The vitriol the left stirred up against Bush for 8 years makes the anti-Obama stuff of today look like Sunday school gossip. President Bush not only had to worry about loonie tunes from the far left, he also had to worry about Islamic terrorists who would have done anything to assasinate him.

Let's assume for a moment that the few individuals who yelled "terrorist" and "kill him" were not far left implants trying to make the McCain supporters look bad (big assumption since this has long been a tactic of the far left). Each party has its whackos and these folks were no different than the liberals who compared Bush to Hitler, called Bush a murderer, and accused the Bush administration of masterminding 9/11.

Every president is faced with the danger of some nut trying to assinate him. Your attempt to take this fact and paint the right as some frenzied, armed and dangerous group of Fox News inspired maniacs is as pathetic as it is dishonest.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obo View Post
How ridiculous you sound. Who's fear mongering now? If anything happens to him, he brought it all on himself. Our forefathers warned us about governments like this one and made provisions in the Constitution so we can protect ourselves from a tyranny. No violence needs to take place, just voting. Is that what you're afraid of?
This is one of the most disturbing responses I've read yet.

Why is this so confusing? I celebrate voting and a national political debate. I certainly don't think liberals have all the answers and I think we would crash and burn if we only had liberal ideology. Nor do I think conservatives have all the answers.

The point of this thread is that I simply noticed a level of hostility ratcheting up. To suggest that "he brought it all on himself" if a husband and father of two gets gunned down for doing is job, frankly, supports my original concerns and reveals that they are legitimate and not at all fear mongering.

Old 08-04-2009, 08:57 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,668,752 times
Quote:
Good, I'm glad you liked it. The truth hurts you people pretty badly eh?
The truth?

NO ONE deserves to be murdered for their politics.

You are a shining example of why this thread was started. Bravo for proving OP's point.

Do you think a woman wearing a short skirt deserves to be raped?

Old 08-04-2009, 09:00 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,074,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
Hey coalman. Good to see you again.

I'm not sure what allegations you are speaking of. There are numerous videos of people acting violently and irrationally at Congressional townhall meetings. No one's saying anything illegal happened. It's their right. I just watch that as I watched those rallies and know that a few could take it too far.
I'm referring specifically to your comment about "Kill him"... the incident (at least the one aware of) was proven to have absolutely no basis other than the words of a single reporter who I will note was not the only reporter present. In addition to the media there was 4,500 people present, numerous security, Secret Service and other law enforcement agencies yet he was the only one that heard this.

It's another case of the media manufacturing news instead of reporting it, unfortunately all too common.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdevelop2 View Post
What an abysmally ignorant post.

The left hated George W Bush and put out ten times the propaganda and lies that the right has put out about Obama. The vitriol the left stirred up against Bush for 8 years makes the anti-Obama stuff of today look like Sunday school gossip. President Bush not only had to worry about loonie tunes from the far left, he also had to worry about Islamic terrorists who would have done anything to assasinate him.

Let's assume for a moment that the few individuals who yelled "terrorist" and "kill him" were not far left implants trying to make the McCain supporters look bad (big assumption since this has long been a tactic of the far left). Each party has its whackos and these folks were no different than the liberals who compared Bush to Hitler, called Bush a murderer, and accused the Bush administration of masterminding 9/11.

Every president is faced with the danger of some nut trying to assinate him. Your attempt to take this fact and paint the right as some frenzied, armed and dangerous group of Fox News inspired maniacs is as pathetic as it is dishonest.
Please be civil. There is no need for your rhetoric.

Again ... I never said the left doesn't have fringe elements. I wasn't doing a survey study in the history of modern politics. Obviously Reagan got shot down.

I was simply talking about what is happening today and saw reason for concern. That is all. I never implied that the right is some dangerous, frenzied group, only that there are a few within it that could go over the edge (as there are on the left, but we are not dealing with an angry left right now).

I, actually, am very happy the right exists and I feel there are many very strong political values sustained by the right.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:01 AM

7,380 posts, read 15,679,606 times
Quote:
Please tell us how exactly you know this? I think you're just making things up AGAIN!
Barack Obama faces 30 death threats a day, stretching US Secret Service - Telegraph

what exactly did i make up before, pray tell?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies