Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 11:53 AM

2,794 posts, read 4,156,994 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
The main purpose of the "birther" movement is to "delegitimize" him as president in order to make violent acts acceptable.

I do not approve of many of his policies but wish for him to stay alive and in office. I did not want anything to happen to Bush either despite how much I despised him.

I hope that the Secret Service and FBI are watching these boards as some people here seem like they'd snap enough to try something really stupid and horrible.
OH yeah. ANd rest assured,they are keeping an eye on the loonies. I never had a clue how many sick,evil,racist people there are in this country until the election. Sad,really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 11:55 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,925,040 times
I think an attempt is inevitable. Almost every president has had attempts on there lives, most fail though.

Bush had 1 legit assassination attempt and another foiled by the SS on 9/11

Old 08-04-2009, 11:57 AM

11,155 posts, read 15,711,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post
I think an attempt is inevitable. Almost every president has had attempts on there lives, most fail though.

What was the ligitimate attempt on Bush? I don't recall that.

I was also unaware of a direct attempt on his life on 9/11/01.

Please enlighten me (seriously - I'm curious).

Old 08-04-2009, 12:03 PM

2,522 posts, read 4,393,772 times
I'm scared spitless that we might end up with that idiot Biden as the POTUS.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:06 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,229,680 times
No I am not concerned. He has the best security money can buy and an unlimited budget to fund it. He is as safe as any human can possibly be.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:18 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,613,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropolis View Post

Did anyone try to kill Clinton, Carter, or Eisenhower? I know there was an assassination attempt against Nixon when he was Ike's VP but am unaware of any assassination attempts against Ike himself.

Did Coolidge or Hoover face any assassination attempts?

Old 08-04-2009, 12:25 PM

8,624 posts, read 9,091,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KsStorm View Post
OH yeah. ANd rest assured,they are keeping an eye on the loonies. I never had a clue how many sick,evil,racist people there are in this country until the election. Sad,really.

I too never had a clue of all the sick racist people there were until I came here and saw every leftist had a full deck of race cards and our own president pulling the race card. It seems the Democrats are the racist after all. We should keep an eye on these loonies. H*ll even Barbara Boxer showed her obvious racism towards a black man.

Old 08-04-2009, 12:43 PM

38,644 posts, read 26,389,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
If you could take the hyper-partisan hat off for a moment, you would realize that I do not identify as a liberal, so simply lofting bombs into that foxhole is rather worthless.

No one's saying this is just a problem with the right. This isn't a thread about which side has the crazier loons. It's not about suppressing a healthy debate about important policy issues.

It's about the media ratcheting up fear to the point that a few unstable individuals who cannot differentiate between propaganda and reality assassinate the president in the name of what they perceive to be "saving their country" or "the greater good".

Just look at LogicWing's first response for evidence of this mindset.

How about we look at your OP?

Is anyone else concerned about Obama's safety?
Even though all economic indicators suggest that things beginning to improve, the right wing media seems to be ratcheting up the propagana and lies about Obama's policies (for example, completely misinterpreting a small section of the bill as "death care").

Followers are crashing town hall meetings and basically getting whipped into a frenzy like they were during the campaign when they were yelling things like "terrorist" and "kill him" at rallies before the McCain campaign stepped back on the rhetoric that was whipping people into such a frenzy.

One heavily armed woman scouted out a military base to plan a terrorist attack against it because Glenn Beck convinced her it was a FEMA camp.

I realize Clinton faced the same irrational fear before going down as one of the most successful presidents, but I'm increasingly concerned Obama won't survive long enough to reach that point.

Why would you say something that implies threat by these people against Obama? These people were confronting their representatives for selling them out. Read the Constitution sometime. Here's a link.

LII: Constitution

Crashing town hall meetings? Town hall meetings exist so that everyone can confront those to whom the people have temporarily loaned power. Dear leader has perverted the meaning of town hall meeting to be friendly questioners with prescreened softball questions.

You must be very young. Clinton faced the same rational concerns because he also had a lock-step Democratic Congress that did many of the things that BO is doing now. Clinton raised taxes after promising to raise them only on "the wealthiest Americans", they outlawed guns they didn't like, forced the rest of us to pay for abortions and used RICO laws to prosecute anti-abortion protesters, etc.

What you're doing is attacking free speech. "Those other people are dangerous" is an old tactic that gets people hurt.

"In 1984, Randy Weaver and neighbor Terry Kinnison had a dispute over a $3,000 land deal. (Kinnison subsequently lost the lawsuit and was ordered to pay Weaver an additional $2,100 in court costs and damages.) Kinnison wrote letters to the FBI, Secret Service and county sheriff alleging Weaver had threatened to kill the Pope, the President and the governor of Idaho."

Ruby Ridge - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The government that you place so much trust in made Weaver a target because he wouldn't dig up dirt on his friends and accused him of a crimes for which he was later acquitted. In the end this unconstitutional arm twisting cost a couple young people their lives. I really don't see a difference beween what you are doing, what the FBI did and what is SOS in totalitarian police states where neighbor is required to spy on neighbor. You are labeling a certain group that disagrees with you as dangerous because they disagree with you.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:18 PM

6,762 posts, read 11,633,377 times
No I am not concerned about Obama's safety. He has the secret service protecting him and will likely be just fine. It is pretty damn scary to think about Biden becoming president. That guy makes Sarah Palin look competent.

Of course, the left is ratcheting up the BS as they so often do, claiming that the right wingers are going to try and kill Obama because he is screwing up the country so badly. Lets keep in mind the last time a president was shot was Reagan, shot by a looney lefty. There are nuts on the left and right. The secret service does a pretty damn good job of guarding our presidents and I would expect that they will do a good job for Obama as well.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:25 PM

7,380 posts, read 15,678,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXboomerang View Post
Lets keep in mind the last time a president was shot was Reagan, shot by a looney lefty.
really, john hinckley was a lefty? do you have evidence to support that?

i've never heard anything about his politics. he famously shot reagan to impress jodie foster.

and let's also keep in mind that in the 7 months since obama has been president, at least 2 right-wingers (one of whom is a birther) have already gone on shooting sprees.

i can't think of any instances of leftists in the u.s. killing or hurting people for political reasons for decades, at least. can you?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies