Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 11:16 AM

35,879 posts, read 77,519,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by delusianne View Post
The GOP had no one to run and they sat this one out, so that the Dems could clean up the mess the Rs had left behind. They'll sit on the sidelines and criticize and throw bricks, but not offer anything constructive, anything that might help the country. Then when crises are over and things are looking up they'll sail in in 2012 -- "look how much you suffered under Obama!" They still wont have anything constructive to offer, but that's not their goal.

And you all will fall for it, and they know you will because they know what works with you.
That is untrue.

Go to thomas.gov and see how many healthcare reform bills Republicans have submitted, but couldn't make it out of DEM controlled committees.

McCain had a shaky campaign at best. His age made him an unattractive choice for many Independents and Democrats who may have crossed party lines. He seemed tired and a has-been when compared to youthful Obama.

When he put Palin on the ticket, he lost not only folks in his own party, but a lot of IND and DEM votes, who just couldn't believe Palin was the best choice.

There are many reasons McCain lost but only one that counts - he got less votes, LOL.

I knew McCain had lost as soon as Palin opened her mouth after the GOP convention.

But to say the GOP has offered nothing to the discussion . . . well, that is only true b/c the DEM party has refused to move forward with GOP backed legislation.

For example . . .we got Cash for Clunkers . . . GOP wanted a $15,000 tax credit for homebuyers. Did the public even hear a word about that? Heck, no.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 11:16 AM

38,496 posts, read 25,830,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
"Well yeah, but YOU did THIS, so what about that?" Deflect, deflect, deflect.......motto of the left. Why don't you throw a comment in about Bush too?

Whether you agree with them or not, the swift boat ads included soldiers that were IN THE SAME BOAT AS KERRY AND SAY HE LIED ABOUT MANY OF HIS ACTIONS. You either agree with those men, or a senator that's trying to win a job.
Regardless, there's nothing fascist about it. By using the word fascist in that context shows that you wouldn't know fascism if it hit you in the face, which is why you don't recognize what's coming down the pike.

If you're so against propaganda, you might want to check out the White House's new webpage about health care reform. Chocked full of it. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
This thread is about Mc Cain, right?

Quote:
WASHINGTON - Republican Sen. John McCain, a former prisoner of war in Vietnam, called an ad criticizing John Kerry’s military service “dishonest and dishonorable” and urged the White House on Thursday to condemn it as well.
Quote:
“I deplore this kind of politics,” McCain said. “I think the ad is dishonest and dishonorable. As it is, none of these individuals served on the boat (Kerry) commanded. Many of his crew have testified to his courage under fire. I think John Kerry served honorably in Vietnam. I think George Bush served honorably in the Texas Air National Guard during the Vietnam War.”
Quote:
In 2000, Bush’s supporters sponsored a rumor campaign against McCain in the South Carolina primary, helping Bush win the primary and the nomination. McCain’s supporters have never forgiven the Bush team

McCain deplores anti-Kerry ad - Politics- msnbc.com

Old 08-10-2009, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Yeah, but he didn't say they were UNTRUE.
A little review for you.

Quote:
“I deplore this kind of politics,” McCain said. “I think the ad is dishonest and dishonorable. As it is, none of these individuals served on the boat (Kerry) commanded. Many of his crew have testified to his courage under fire. I think John Kerry served honorably in Vietnam. I think George Bush served honorably in the Texas Air National Guard during the Vietnam War.”
McCain deplores anti-Kerry ad - Politics- msnbc.com

There. Now you can say that you learned something today.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:33 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
That is untrue.

Go to thomas.gov and see how many healthcare reform bills Republicans have submitted, but couldn't make it out of DEM controlled committees.
I didnt look at the bills at thomas.gov, but gotta point out that they all know how to negotiate and play the bipartisan game. If they had really wanted their bills passed they would have got them passed. Dems cant claim credit for a bill if Rs sponsor it.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevcrawford View Post
"Well yeah, but YOU did THIS, so what about that?" Deflect, deflect, deflect.......motto of the left. Why don't you throw a comment in about Bush too?

Whether you agree with them or not, the swift boat ads included soldiers that were IN THE SAME BOAT AS KERRY AND SAY HE LIED ABOUT MANY OF HIS ACTIONS. You either agree with those men, or a senator that's trying to win a job.

Regardless, there's nothing fascist about it. By using the word fascist in that context shows that you wouldn't know fascism if it hit you in the face, which is why you don't recognize what's coming down the pike.

If you're so against propaganda, you might want to check out the White House's new webpage about health care reform. Chocked full of it. I'm sure you'll enjoy it.
Quote:
The most notable characteristic of a fascist country is the separation and persecution or denial of equality to a specific segment of the population based upon superficial qualities or belief systems.

Simply stated, a fascist government always has one class of citizens that is considered superior (good) to another (bad) based upon race, creed or origin. It is possible to be both a republic and a fascist state. The preferred class lives in a republic while the oppressed class lives in a fascist state

Quote:
In a more simplistic term the people currently in control fear that if they allow equal rights and equal consideration to those being oppressed, they will become oppressed and lose everything.

Generally those in power are of a smaller segment of society, but they hold the wealth and control of key systems like manufacturing, law, finance and government position,
(i.e. the slave owners in the south prior to the civil war) and the oppressed vastly outnumber them, (the slaves during the same period).
Definition of Fascism

Old 08-10-2009, 11:42 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,273,270 times
Quote:
I didnt look at the bills at thomas.gov, but gotta point out that they all know how to negotiate and play the bipartisan game. If they had really wanted their bills passed they would have got them passed. Dems cant claim credit for a bill if Rs sponsor it.
Let's have a lesson in Government:

The Democratic leadership in the House and Senate have the power to NOT have a bill go to committee.

And the FACT is - this same Democratic leadership (Pelosi and Reid) have flatly REFUSED to allow the Republican bills to get even committee hearings.

I thought the Democrats wanted "fairness", "transparency"? Guess what - they - the democrats lied - from the White House down.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:47 AM

35,016 posts, read 39,168,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Let's have a lesson in Government:

The Democratic leadership in the House and Senate have the power to NOT have a bill go to committee.

And the FACT is - this same Democratic leadership (Pelosi and Reid) have flatly REFUSED to allow the Republican bills to get even committee hearings.

I thought the Democrats wanted "fairness", "transparency"? Guess what - they - the democrats lied - from the White House down.
link to P and R "flatly refusing"?

"the democrats lied - from the White House down" -- about what specifically?

Old 08-10-2009, 11:53 AM

1,043 posts, read 1,292,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by subsound View Post
I think he is a decent guy, I think he would have made an okay president, but his vice president has had a break with reality. As long as she is the heart throb of the Republican leadership it's still going to be a big issue for that time, she shows the hypocrisy, hatred, and outright extremism I think is wrong in politics today.

We'll see how Obama does, it's only been 8 months and there will be people who hate him just because he exists. So I'll keep my own judgment of how he does to fix things and not listen to the hatred of the vocal minority.

Wow, that's exactly how i felt!!! Great post!!

Old 08-10-2009, 11:53 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,541,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXIronHorse View Post
Since the inauguration...

Taking a stand against Judge Sodomayor & judicial activism
Taking a stand against nationalized health care
Taking a stand against Congressional luxury jet purchases & wasteful spending
Taking a stand against government land seizures
Taking a stand against generational theft (i.e. democrat stimulus package)

McCain unfortunately wasn't the clear conservative choice, but he certainly was the clear BEST choice!
Obviously the majority of voting Americans disagreed with you. Thank God!

Let it go, McCain lost!

Old 08-10-2009, 11:56 AM

7,835 posts, read 8,443,092 times
Quote:

link to P and R "flatly refusing"?
You know what? Let's say we give him that one -- the Dems have blocked Rep bills on healthcare from getting to committee. Ok, fine.

There may well be a lot of good reasons to do so, one of which may be that there's no reason to have so many separate bills, when it's easier and more efficient to work from a single starting point and modify/add/alter as needed, including recommendations from Reps that come from the bills they submitted.

There are zillions of bills that never make it to committee from both parties. The bottom line is, the Dems aren't shutting the Reps out of having their input in the current proposed legislation that's being hashed out. We could, but we aren't. Eventually, if they keep stonewalling, we may have to. But for the time being, they're fully able to participate in the process, if they so choose. If they'd rather fight it, well, we'll move ahead without them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies