Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 02:46 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,383,479 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antibes View Post
Its a racist slur against white people.

No need to fight. Why lower yourself to their level?
lack of anything better to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 04:45 PM

466 posts, read 929,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
read your profile. most interesting question for a 2nd generation american of dutch origin.

whaaaaaa ????????

Old 09-01-2009, 09:36 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,667,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
So one standard for whites and another for blacks?
That's the American way..........

Old 09-01-2009, 11:21 PM

35 posts, read 44,483 times
I have used the "N" word once in my life. And that was when a black guy used the phrase "hillbilly white trash". he got pretty ticked off and I told him that if he didn't like being called something disrespectful he didn't need to be calling others something disrespectful. Doesn't matter what the meaning of something is or its historical background, disrepectful is disrepectful. No ifs ands, or buts. What I really hate is the fact that some racially hot words are ok for one race to use and not others. As stated in a previous post it is ok for one black to call another the n word but not ok for a white to use that word. Isn't that hypocritical? Does the meaning change? And if so how? And why? If it is such a sensitive and disrepectful word why use it at all?

Old 09-02-2009, 12:04 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,888,203 times
Exactly, Valencourt. If n!gger is unacceptable, then cr@cker is too! I think from now on, we should start referring to it as "the C word."

Old 09-02-2009, 08:51 AM

12,200 posts, read 18,383,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by valencort View Post
What I really hate is the fact that some racially hot words are ok for one race to use and not others. As stated in a previous post it is ok for one black to call another the n word but not ok for a white to use that word. Isn't that hypocritical? Does the meaning change? And if so how? And why? If it is such a sensitive and disrepectful word why use it at all?
Depends on the people who are saying it. I know females who will call one another ****** but if someone outside their clique says it then it’s a problem. My simple rule in life is I don’t say it and I don’t respond to it; if you can’t respect that than you don’t need to talk to me – fighting because someone called you a name is so first grade.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:08 AM

4,792 posts, read 5,904,704 times
The long cracker whips are loud like a fire cracker. There is something on the end. I have heard the term "cracker horse" to describe the horses that descended from the old cattle herding horses. I never heard anyone called a cracker when I lived in Florida, except for the cattle herders. Black and white people call one another all kinds of things. White people call each other things, and so do black people. Humans are a strange lot, sometimes.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:15 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,084,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just-Sayin View Post
I was called a "cracker" today for about the fiftieth time since I moved to South Florida 20 years ago.

Is that just another word for "honky"? Am I supposed to be upset and want to fight when I hear it directed at me.

I guess I'm just not up on the whole street slang thing.
Well, I haven't read through the threads but I'm quite sure my answer is not unique. As far as I know and understand, a 'cracker' is a derogatory term for a white person, basically the equivalant of n*****. I've heard plenty of blacks use it against whites and it's always been in a demeaning way. Pay no heed to the messager.

Old 09-02-2009, 10:21 AM

3,219 posts, read 7,084,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalayjones View Post
Depends on the people who are saying it. I know females who will call one another ****** but if someone outside their clique says it then it’s a problem. My simple rule in life is I don’t say it and I don’t respond to it; if you can’t respect that than you don’t need to talk to me – fighting because someone called you a name is so first grade.
I've been noticing this trend of women (I hear if from the younger ones on campus a lot) referring to one another as 'b****es' and 'w****s'. I don't mean when they're putting each other down; they simply refer to other women in those terms instead of as, well, women, ladies, people. I actually had a young girl in one of my classses (who I didn't know) ask me where the 'B****es room was'. I was FLOORED. I don't know how or when this got popularized (rap music? popular TV culture?) but it's kind of disturbing to me that not only are the young men referring to the women in this manner but the other women are also. Do they see themselves in this light? Why is this OK?

Old 09-03-2009, 12:34 AM

558 posts, read 819,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgode View Post
Oh please, I'll buy you a box of puffs.
Hey, maybe I'll use that line the next time I see someone crying about the dreaded and over-rated N word.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies